Old 02-25-2010, 03:32 AM
»Q«

Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 05:42:25 +0000
Stroller <stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> I like Knode's simple 3-pane layout. Knode has improved visually
> with the KDE4 release, but the much debated KDE4 dependencies thing.
>
> It has only just occurred to me today to ask if there's an
> alternative that looks & acts just the same, but which isn't part of
> the whole KDE4 environment.
>
> Any suggestions?

I'll add Claws Mail (mail-client/claws-mail) to the list of
suggestions. It does three panes by default and has a gtk interface.
As you can probably guess from the name, it does e-mail also.

--
»Q«
Kleeneness is next to Gödelness.

Old 02-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

Am Dienstag 23 Februar 2010 schrieb Nikos Chantziaras:
> On 02/23/2010 01:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >>
> >> Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read
> >> it in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?
> >
> > No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
> > one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
> > time. GMane does that for me instead.
>
> Just to make my point more clear:
>
> http://i50.tinypic.com/15ow2g8.png

OT: It occured to me that many, including you, have this awfully fuzzy font
rendering. Aren’t you bothered by that? (Assuming you’re on a TFT). When I
look at your image, my view starts floating on a plane in front of the screen.

See http://i47.tinypic.com/1zxsbok.png

As you can see, I’m also using a mail client for those lists. At the
beginning, I used my Uni’s news server, but at some point, I couldn’t post to
this list anymore through NNTP. So I had to switch to mail interface.

But even though local archiving works better with mails (articles are gone
from the news server after a short while), I’d prefer the NNTP way though,
it’s easier to view the list filtered (e.g. no ignored threads).
--
GruĂź | Greetings | Qapla' - http://www.stud.tu-ilmenau.de/~frst-ii/ - EDOB
Nicht von Staat und Konzernen ausschnĂĽffeln lassen, E-Mails verschlĂĽsseln!

Die USA haben den Weg von der Barbarei zur Dekadenz
ohne den Umweg über die Kultur gewählt.

Old 02-25-2010, 09:33 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

I'm on KDE4 but I use Thunderbird for both Usenet (including this
mailing list through GMane's "mailing-list-to-Usenet" interface) and
email. I like the simplicity and using only one app for both.

Why are you passing the mail through a conversion gateway only to read
it in a mail client? Wouldn't subscribing directly be even more simple?

No, because then I would get all the mail in my inbox and I would be the
one responsible for filtering it; a total waste on bandwidth and my
time. GMane does that for me instead.

Just to make my point more clear:

http://i50.tinypic.com/15ow2g8.png

OT: It occured to me that many, including you, have this awfully fuzzy font
rendering. Aren’t you bothered by that? (Assuming you’re on a TFT). When I
look at your image, my view starts floating on a plane in front of the screen.

See http://i47.tinypic.com/1zxsbok.png

No, actually I find it much better then the one in your screenshot.
Much easier to read for me. I guess this is due to differences in our
monitor's DPI. I can image that lower DPI monitors must show it pretty
"zoomed-in" and therefore blurry. The fonts in your screenshot actually
look like small, thin lines instead of proper fonts here.

As you can see, I’m also using a mail client for those lists. At the
beginning, I used my Uni’s news server, but at some point, I couldn’t post to
this list anymore through NNTP. So I had to switch to mail interface.

But even though local archiving works better with mails (articles are gone
from the news server after a short while), I’d prefer the NNTP way though,
it’s easier to view the list filtered (e.g. no ignored threads).

For what it's worth, GMane's NNTP server never deletes messages. In the
case of gentoo-user, everything's still there; the oldest posts date
back to 2002.