Old 02-23-2010, 06:22 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Graphical usenet client - alternative to Knode

On 02/23/2010 07:42 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:

[...]
You got me with that one Just because I don't have this problem
doesn't mean no else does either.

You are permanently wired to the Internet? Don't you ever go out? :P

I'm referring to the machine. It's always connected. Broadband
flatrate ftw :P There's no point in ever disconnecting it.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:33:56 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:

> > No, I read them from a number of machines but using a single
> > server that handles all the filtering too.
>
> Same here -- the only difference between the two approaches is
> who's administering the server. You handle it yourself, I let
> gmane do it.

The main difference is that mine still works when my Internet connection
is not available. And that all my mail is accessible from the same place,
including mails I'd never put on a server owned by someone else.

--
Neil Bothwick

The law of Probability Dispersal decrees that whatever it is that hits
the fan will not be evenly distributed.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 09:22:10PM +0200, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 02/23/2010 07:42 PM, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> >> [...]
> >> You got me with that one Just because I don't have this problem
> >> doesn't mean no else does either.
> >
> > You are permanently wired to the Internet? Don't you ever go out? :P
>
> I'm referring to the machine. It's always connected. Broadband
> flatrate ftw :P There's no point in ever disconnecting it.

Someone obviously isn't a student with ridiculously expensive electricity. ;-)

--
Zeerak Waseem

Old 02-23-2010, 09:29 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 23 February 2010 22:06:04 Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:

> > > You are permanently wired to the Internet? Don't you ever go out? :P
> >
> > I'm referring to the machine. It's always connected. Broadband
> > flatrate ftw :P There's no point in ever disconnecting it.
>
> Someone obviously isn't a student with ridiculously expensive electricity.
> ;-)

Or an admin at a major ISP and *very* good friends with those who dish out the
bandwidth ....

A man must look after his friends in this world, and they will look after you

:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-23-2010, 09:32 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-02-23, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 18:33:56 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
>
>>> No, I read them from a number of machines but using a single
>>> server that handles all the filtering too.
>>
>> Same here -- the only difference between the two approaches is
>> who's administering the server. You handle it yourself, I let
>> gmane do it.
>
> The main difference is that mine still works when my Internet
> connection is not available.

I read the mailing lists from many different locations. I don't
keep complete Usenet and mailing-list archives at all machines
and locations. It doesn't really matter to me where the server
is -- if I've no network access, I can't read Usenet or mailing
lists. But, it's just not an issue.

> And that all my mail is accessible from the same place,
> including mails I'd never put on a server owned by someone
> else.

I guess I just have no interest in keeping archives of 50
newsgroups/mailing-lists on a handful of different machines.
Any "servers" I set up would be a lot less reliable and
accessible than those at either Gmane or my Usenet provider.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! So this is what it
at feels like to be potato

Old 02-23-2010, 09:51 PM
Stroller

On 23 Feb 2010, at 09:29, Peter Ruskin wrote:

I've always used pan in preference to knode.

Thanks. From the screenshots at <http://pan.rebelbase.com/screenshots/
> it looks perfect.

Stroller.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:57 PM