FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-22-2010, 04:03 PM
James
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

Hello,

I accidentally removed my panelbar (jargon?) across the bottom my my
kde 4.3.3 screen.


Googling has produced a wealth (of not what I need to know)
minutia.


So, how do I recover the kde panel bar across the bottom my
my screen.


The closest answer I found was remove the ~user/.kde4 dir
and log back in, but that seems harsh......?


ideas?



James
 
Old 02-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Stefano Crocco
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

On Monday 22 February 2010, James wrote:
> |Hello,
> |
> |I accidentally removed my panelbar (jargon?) across the bottom my my
> |kde 4.3.3 screen.
> |
> |
> |Googling has produced a wealth (of not what I need to know)
> |minutia.
> |
> |
> |So, how do I recover the kde panel bar across the bottom my
> |my screen.
> |
> |
> |The closest answer I found was remove the ~user/.kde4 dir
> |and log back in, but that seems harsh......?
> |
> |
> |ideas?
> |
> |
> |
> |James

Right click on the desktop and choose "add panel". This should give you an
empty panel. To fill it with widgets, click on the plasma symbol at right end
of the panel, choose "add widgets" and insert the widgets you want.

I hope this helps

Stefano
 
Old 02-22-2010, 06:03 PM
James
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco <at> alice.it> writes:

>
> Right click on the desktop and choose "add panel". This should give you an
> empty panel. To fill it with widgets, click on the plasma symbol at right end
> of the panel, choose "add widgets" and insert the widgets you want.

> I hope this helps


This does not restore the previous panel. Any ideas on that?

If not possible to restore the previous panel, how to move a new
one to the bottom?


James
 
Old 02-22-2010, 06:08 PM
Nikos Chantziaras
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

On 02/22/2010 09:03 PM, James wrote:

Stefano Crocco<stefano.crocco<at> alice.it> writes:



Right click on the desktop and choose "add panel". This should give you an
empty panel. To fill it with widgets, click on the plasma symbol at right end
of the panel, choose "add widgets" and insert the widgets you want.



I hope this helps



This does not restore the previous panel. Any ideas on that?

If not possible to restore the previous panel, how to move a new
one to the bottom?


With the mouse.

You might want to delete your ~/.kde4 folder instead to get back at the
defaults. Keep the stuff you want though (like settings for other
programs, like Amarok, Kopete, etc.)
 
Old 02-22-2010, 06:19 PM
James
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

Nikos Chantziaras <realnc <at> arcor.de> writes:


> With the mouse.

Must be something wrong. These panels that fire up
are disfunctional. Cant move add or delete too them....






> You might want to delete your ~/.kde4 folder instead to get back at the
> defaults. Keep the stuff you want though (like settings for other
> programs, like Amarok, Kopete, etc.)


It seems really stupid there is not way to recover kicker and such
without deleting the entire folder.....


More kde4 snafus.... I found lots of evidence where folks had done
the exact same thing, with no simple recovery.......



Very disappointed in KDE4.....again....
This recovery in kde3 was simple.


thx,
James
 
Old 02-22-2010, 07:39 PM
YoYo siska
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 07:19:41PM +0000, James wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc <at> arcor.de> writes:
>
>
> > With the mouse.
>
> Must be something wrong. These panels that fire up
> are disfunctional. Cant move add or delete too them....

Lock/Unlock widgets in the context menu?
Btw you can fire up add applets on the desktop and drag them to a
panel.. doesn't really make a difference

>
> > You might want to delete your ~/.kde4 folder instead to get back at the
> > defaults. Keep the stuff you want though (like settings for other
> > programs, like Amarok, Kopete, etc.)
>
>
> It seems really stupid there is not way to recover kicker and such
> without deleting the entire folder.....
>
>
> More kde4 snafus.... I found lots of evidence where folks had done
> the exact same thing, with no simple recovery.......
>
>
>
> Very disappointed in KDE4.....again....
> This recovery in kde3 was simple.

Panel and desktop settings are in .kde/share/config/plasma* files
removing just them (ideally when logged out of kde) should bring the
default desktop/panels back..

theoretically plasma-desktop-appletsrc should be enough to delete...


Don't see how different from kde3 this is.. if you messed up your
kicker configuration you had to either delete it, or rebuild the panel
(create it, place it at the correct position, add correct applets...)
(well, the only difference is that desktop and panel were separate
programs...)


yoyo
 
Old 02-22-2010, 08:58 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

On Montag 22 Februar 2010, James wrote:
> Nikos Chantziaras <realnc <at> arcor.de> writes:
> > With the mouse.
>
> Must be something wrong. These panels that fire up
> are disfunctional. Cant move add or delete too them....
>
> > You might want to delete your ~/.kde4 folder instead to get back at the
> > defaults. Keep the stuff you want though (like settings for other
> > programs, like Amarok, Kopete, etc.)
>
> It seems really stupid there is not way to recover kicker and such
> without deleting the entire folder.....

just remove plamsarc or plasmadesktoprc

>
>
> More kde4 snafus.... I found lots of evidence where folks had done
> the exact same thing, with no simple recovery.......

well, add panel, adding widgets did it for me.
 
Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 AM
James
 
Default kde4 panelbar recovery

YoYo siska <yoyo <at> gl.ksp.sk> writes:


> Panel and desktop settings are in .kde/share/config/plasma* files
> removing just them (ideally when logged out of kde) should bring the
> default desktop/panels back..

sorry for the delayed response.
This worked perfectly.

thx,
James
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:32 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org