-   -   Skype && pulseaudio (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/329976-skype-pulseaudio.html)

Alexander Puchmayr 02-22-2010 06:38 AM

Skype && pulseaudio

Hi there!

The 2.1.x-Version of Skype seems to use pulseaudio if it finds a pulsaudio-
deamon running, and doesn't allow to chose the audio device in this case.

What I want to have is very simple:
* Ringtone and any other sound produced by skype shall go to the internal
sound device with loudspeakers connected
* Audiostream for talking to someone shall go to the USB-Headset.

How do I configure this?

What I've tried so far:
* pacmd shows skype as single client. I couldn't find a way to redirect it to
the headset
* I've installed padevchoser, but it only allows me to change the default
device, and the setting seems to be ignored by skype.

Thanks
Alex

Mike Mazur 02-22-2010 07:37 AM

Skype && pulseaudio

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 22, 2010 at 15:38, Alexander Puchmayr
<alexander.puchmayr@linznet.at> wrote:
> The 2.1.x-Version of Skype seems to use pulseaudio if it finds a pulsaudio-
> deamon running, and doesn't allow to chose the audio device in this case.

Yep, I noticed this recently as well, and was initially quite happy
with this development :)

> What I want to have is very simple:
> * Ringtone and any other sound produced by skype shall go to the internal
> sound device with loudspeakers connected
> * Audiostream for talking to someone shall go to the USB-Headset.
>
> How do I configure this?

This is indeed a problem. In the past I used the mic of my USB headset
and the external speakers for calls, but now I can't get that
configuration any longer. It's always using the crappy mic built-in to
my laptop.

I'll be very interested in the solution :)

Thanks,
Mike

David Abbott 02-22-2010 08:48 AM

Skype && pulseaudio

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 08:38 +0100, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> Hi there!
>
> The 2.1.x-Version of Skype seems to use pulseaudio if it finds a pulsaudio-
> deamon running, and doesn't allow to chose the audio device in this case.
>
> What I want to have is very simple:
> * Ringtone and any other sound produced by skype shall go to the internal
> sound device with loudspeakers connected
> * Audiostream for talking to someone shall go to the USB-Headset.
>
> How do I configure this?
>
> What I've tried so far:
> * pacmd shows skype as single client. I couldn't find a way to redirect it to
> the headset
> * I've installed padevchoser, but it only allows me to change the default
> device, and the setting seems to be ignored by skype.
>
> Thanks
> Alex

Did you try pavucontrol and select your input and output devices?

--
David Abbott <david@pythontoo.com>

Alexander Puchmayr 02-22-2010 11:52 AM

Skype && pulseaudio

Am Montag 22 Februar 2010 10:48:37 schrieb David Abbott:
> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 08:38 +0100, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > Hi there!
> >
> > The 2.1.x-Version of Skype seems to use pulseaudio if it finds a
> > pulsaudio- deamon running, and doesn't allow to chose the audio device in
> > this case.
> >
> > What I want to have is very simple:
> > * Ringtone and any other sound produced by skype shall go to the internal
> > sound device with loudspeakers connected
> > * Audiostream for talking to someone shall go to the USB-Headset.
> >
> > How do I configure this?
> >
> > What I've tried so far:
> > * pacmd shows skype as single client. I couldn't find a way to redirect
> > it to the headset
> > * I've installed padevchoser, but it only allows me to change the default
> > device, and the setting seems to be ignored by skype.
> >
> > Thanks
> > Alex
>
> Did you try pavucontrol and select your input and output devices?

Just tried this tool, but it seems to be a complete failure. Just gives a box
with "connection refused", but no information what it tries to connect to. The
pulseaudio-deamon itself is running, and I can connect to it via pacmd without
any problem.

Alex

David 02-22-2010 03:42 PM

Skype && pulseaudio

Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> Am Montag 22 Februar 2010 10:48:37 schrieb David Abbott:
>> On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 08:38 +0100, Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
>>> Hi there!
>>>
>>> The 2.1.x-Version of Skype seems to use pulseaudio if it finds a
>>> pulsaudio- deamon running, and doesn't allow to chose the audio device in
>>> this case.
>>>
>>> What I want to have is very simple:
>>> * Ringtone and any other sound produced by skype shall go to the internal
>>> sound device with loudspeakers connected
>>> * Audiostream for talking to someone shall go to the USB-Headset.
>>>
>>> How do I configure this?
>>>
>>> What I've tried so far:
>>> * pacmd shows skype as single client. I couldn't find a way to redirect
>>> it to the headset
>>> * I've installed padevchoser, but it only allows me to change the default
>>> device, and the setting seems to be ignored by skype.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Alex
>> Did you try pavucontrol and select your input and output devices?
>>
> Just tried this tool, but it seems to be a complete failure. Just gives a box
> with "connection refused", but no information what it tries to connect to. The
> pulseaudio-deamon itself is running, and I can connect to it via pacmd without
> any problem.
>
> Alex

I don't use it system wide, here are the guides I used;
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789181-highlight-pulseaudio.html
http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

HTH

Iain Buchanan 02-22-2010 11:05 PM

Skype && pulseaudio

On Mon, 2010-02-22 at 11:42 -0500, David wrote:
> Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > Am Montag 22 Februar 2010 10:48:37 schrieb David Abbott:

> > Just tried this tool, but it seems to be a complete failure. Just gives a box
> > with "connection refused", but no information what it tries to connect to. The
> > pulseaudio-deamon itself is running, and I can connect to it via pacmd without
> > any problem.
> >
> > Alex
> >

> I don't use it system wide, here are the guides I used;
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789181-highlight-pulseaudio.html
> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

agreed, try and solve the pulseaudio problems first by looking at the
tips on those guides.

Also you might find this useful:
http://share.skype.com/sites/linux/2009/09/some_explanations.html

Salesman: Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Griffin. Now, I know you've been here all
day, so if you'll just sign this contract without reading it I'll take
your blank check, and you won't not be not loving your time-share before
you know it.

Alexander Puchmayr 02-23-2010 07:08 AM

Skype && pulseaudio

Am Montag 22 Februar 2010 17:42:22 schrieb David:
> Alexander Puchmayr wrote:
> > Just tried this tool, but it seems to be a complete failure. Just gives a
> > box with "connection refused", but no information what it tries to
> > connect to. The pulseaudio-deamon itself is running, and I can connect to
> > it via pacmd without any problem.
> >
> > Alex

I really don't know what was going on yesterday, but after getting rid of the
~/.pulse directory and logging out and in again, this particular problem
vanished.

NB: I started the deamon as user, not as root.

> I don't use it system wide, here are the guides I used;
> http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-789181-highlight-pulseaudio.html
> http://pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup

The original problem is still not solved: How do I tell pulseaudio that the
sound from application XX shall go to device YY ???

Alex

Mike Mazur 02-23-2010 11:48 AM

Skype && pulseaudio

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 16:08, Alexander Puchmayr
<alexander.puchmayr@linznet.at> wrote:
> The original problem is still not solved: How do I tell pulseaudio that the
> sound from application XX shall go to device YY ???

Usually the pavucontrol app does this. When a call starts, open
pavucontrol (or Applications -> Sound & Video -> PulseAudio Volume
Control), find your Skype call in the Streams list, right-click and
pick the device you want that call to use.

As the note at the bottom of the Streams tab says, this appears to
only modify the output device, not the input device. That would
explain why Skype stubbornly continued to use only the built-in mic in
my case.

Hope that helps,
Mike