Old 02-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Mick

Default reiser4 Vs reiserfs for / on new Gentoo isntallation

On 21 February 2010 14:03, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Sonntag 21 Februar 2010, Mick wrote:
>> I know that some of you have been using reiser4 for some years now.
>> How does it compare in performance and reliability in terms to
>> reiserfs and xfs?
>>
> they don't even come close in performance. XFS sucks with files who are not
> multi megabyte in size.
>
>> A few years ago I remember there were problems compiling or running
>> some applications/libraries on reiser4 - are these problems now over?
>> Any gotchas?
>
> a loooong time ago there was a bug when compiling kde and without compression.
> Fixed shortly afterwards, never had a problem again.

Thanks Volker for a prompt reply. Is reiser4 still being developed,
or is Linux now moving towards ext4?

Some googling has shown me that reiser4 gives better performance than
ext4, although not across the board.
Mick