Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Gentoo User (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/)
-   -   Problem with Portage profile override (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/329559-problem-portage-profile-override.html)

02-21-2010 06:54 AM

Problem with Portage profile override
 
Hi!

I do have a problem using /etc/portage/profile/package.provided. At
first I added some other packages to this file and got the expected
functionality. Then I added sys-apps/busybox-1.16 to package.provided.
It works and portage detects the entry on an emerge, but it prints a big
fat warning, that busybox has been excluded and suggests deleting from
worlds file or removing from the package.provided file. But busybox
isn't in the worlds file. And removing it from the package.provided
files leeds to emerge trying to install busybox 1.15.3 which conflicts
with my manual installation of busybox 1.16.0 (or daily snapshot).

How is it possible to disable this warning message from emerge, because
it's half a screen full of text on every merge and scrolls off a lot of
other wanted information from the screen?

If any additional Information required please feel free to ask. I'm new
to gentoo and portage but otherwise a C programmer and more or less an
linux expert.

Thx for your help.

Harald

Neil Bothwick 02-21-2010 02:31 PM

Problem with Portage profile override
 
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 08:54:16 +0100, hb-xxl@web.de wrote:

> I do have a problem using /etc/portage/profile/package.provided. At
> first I added some other packages to this file and got the expected
> functionality. Then I added sys-apps/busybox-1.16 to package.provided.
> It works and portage detects the entry on an emerge, but it prints a big
> fat warning, that busybox has been excluded and suggests deleting from
> worlds file or removing from the package.provided file. But busybox
> isn't in the worlds file. And removing it from the package.provided
> files leeds to emerge trying to install busybox 1.15.3 which conflicts
> with my manual installation of busybox 1.16.0 (or daily snapshot).

package.provided is the wrong file. Your problem is caused by busybox
being in @system, which is a subset of @world. That's why you see the
message about it being in world even though it is not in the world file.
To remove it from @system, add

-sys-apps/busybox

in /etc/portage/profile/packages.


--
Neil Bothwick

"Everything takes longer than expected, even when you take
into account Hoffstead's Law." - Hoffstead's Law

02-21-2010 03:58 PM

Problem with Portage profile override
 
On 21.02.2010 16:31, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> package.provided is the wrong file. Your problem is caused by busybox
> being in @system, which is a subset of @world. That's why you see the
> message about it being in world even though it is not in the world file.
> To remove it from @system, add
>
> -sys-apps/busybox
>
> in /etc/portage/profile/packages.
>
>
I tried this before I posted my question and did it again now ... sorry,
no ... this doesn't solve the problem. It doesn't matter if
/etc/portage/profile/packages (tried "packages." too, just to be sure)
contains "-sys-apps/busybox" or not, as soon as I do remove busybox from
package.provided emerge tries to install busybox-1.15.3, and if I add it
back to provided the warning reappears.

What's wrong? Did any change of the system installation I made break
portage? ... but everything else seems to work fine.

... but thx for that fast try to help.

Harald

Paul Colquhoun 02-21-2010 06:07 PM

Problem with Portage profile override
 
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 03:58:33 hb-xxl@web.de wrote:
> On 21.02.2010 16:31, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> > package.provided is the wrong file. Your problem is caused by busybox
> > being in @system, which is a subset of @world. That's why you see the
> > message about it being in world even though it is not in the world file.
> > To remove it from @system, add
> >
> > -sys-apps/busybox
> >
> > in /etc/portage/profile/packages.
>
> I tried this before I posted my question and did it again now ... sorry,
> no ... this doesn't solve the problem. It doesn't matter if
> /etc/portage/profile/packages (tried "packages." too, just to be sure)
> contains "-sys-apps/busybox" or not, as soon as I do remove busybox from
> package.provided emerge tries to install busybox-1.15.3, and if I add it
> back to provided the warning reappears.
>
> What's wrong? Did any change of the system installation I made break
> portage? ... but everything else seems to work fine.
>
> ... but thx for that fast try to help.


Have you tried making an ebuild for 1.16 and putting it in /usr/local/portage
directory?

That way you won't be fighting with portage about what version to install.


--
Reverend Paul Colquhoun, ULC. http://andor.dropbear.id.au/~paulcol
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.
Then, when you do, you'll be a mile away, and you'll have their shoes.

Neil Bothwick 02-21-2010 06:18 PM

Problem with Portage profile override
 
On Sun, 21 Feb 2010 17:58:33 +0100, hb-xxl@web.de wrote:

> I tried this before I posted my question and did it again now ... sorry,
> no ... this doesn't solve the problem. It doesn't matter if
> /etc/portage/profile/packages (tried "packages." too, just to be sure)
> contains "-sys-apps/busybox" or not, as soon as I do remove busybox from
> package.provided emerge tries to install busybox-1.15.3, and if I add it
> back to provided the warning reappears.

Does --tree show what is trying to pull it in?


--
Neil Bothwick

"Press Return to Continue" - known as "The Mail Menupause".

02-22-2010 08:59 AM

Problem with Portage profile override
 
On 21.02.2010 20:18, Neil Bothwick wrote:
> Does --tree show what is trying to pull it in?

No. It does only say "world" or "system".

Some command outputs appended to clarify the problem.

$ emerge -v -t -p -u -D world

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed in
package.provided:

sys-apps/busybox pulled in by 'world'

This problem can be solved in one of the following ways:

A) Use emaint to clean offending packages from world (if not installed).
B) Uninstall offending packages (cleans them from world).
C) Remove offending entries from package.provided.

The best course of action depends on the reason that an offending
package.provided entry exists.

$ emerge -v -t -p -u -D system

These are the packages that would be merged, in reverse order:

Calculating dependencies ... done!

Total: 0 packages, Size of downloads: 0 kB

WARNING: A requested package will not be merged because it is listed in
package.provided:

sys-apps/busybox pulled in by 'system'

$ emerge --deselect sys-apps/busybox

>>> No matching atoms found in "world" favorites file...

$ emaint -c all

Checking world for problems
Checking moveinst for problems
Checking movebin for problems
Checking binhost for problems
Checking cleanresume for problems
Finished

$ cat /etc/portage/profile/packages

-sys-apps/busybox

$ cat /etc/portage/profile/package.provided

sys-apps/openrc-0
mail-mta/ssmtp-9
dev-util/gtk-doc-am-1
sys-apps/busybox-1.16

02-22-2010 09:12 AM

Problem with Portage profile override
 
On 21.02.2010 20:07, Paul Colquhoun wrote:
>
> Have you tried making an ebuild for 1.16 and putting it in /usr/local/portage
> directory?
>
> That way you won't be fighting with portage about what version to install.
>
No. I'm fairly new to gentoo and the ebuild system. Currently I don't
know much about creating ebuilds. Is there anywhere a specification of
those ebuild files? ... but it wouldn't either be easy to create a
special ebuild for my installation, because I don't do a normal busybox
build/installation. I'm throwing in several source modifications to
busybox and I do a completely different installation (e.g. naming and
placement of the files in the destination system). In addition I'm
trying and working with daily snapshots of busybox (from time to time).


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:02 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.