Old 02-19-2010, 07:32 PM
Stroller

Default Display on HDMI-connected TV to large

On 19 Feb 2010, at 18:42, Sebastian Be▀ler wrote:

the display on my
TFT-TV is a bit too large on all sides so that it doesn't fit
completely

in. It is only a cm or so on all sides that overlap but it is really
annoying.

... My 19" TV is connected via HDMI and runs at 1280x720

The same configuration worked perfectly in zaphod mode so that it is
possible with this hardware. But as zaphod is more then less broken
and

without priority I changed to xrandr.

This may seem a little odd, but check your telly's remote for an
overscan button or menu item.

I know it worked before, but maybe the mode got accidentally enabled
since then.

The wrong overscan / underscan mode can show *exactly* the symptom you
describe. You may notice text to be slightly blurry, too.

Stroller.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:56 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

> This may seem a little odd, but check your telly's remote for an
overscan button or menu item.

My TV doesn't let me controll overscan.
I have a few modes to switch through but that doesn't effect overscan much
or at all (zoom, panorama and 16:9 FS take more then the other modes but
something is taken in any mode).

Tried to fix it by underscaning but that doesn't help either. My TV always
adaptes magically.

I go and ask on the xorg-mailinglist

Greetings

Sebastian

Old 02-22-2010, 01:48 PM
James

Sebastian Be▀ler <sebastian <at> darkmetatron.de> writes:

> Tried to fix it by underscaning but that doesn't help either. My TV always
> adaptes magically.

You can try to play the the DisplaySize settings, which is what
I used in a similar situation:

example

# DisplaySize 426 266
# width = (1680pix / 100pix/in) x [25.4mm/in] = 427 --> 426
# hieght = (1050pix / 100pix/in) x [25.4mm/in] = 267 --> 266

hth,

James

Old 02-22-2010, 02:38 PM
Sebastian Be▀ler

Am Montag, 22. Februar 2010 15:48:53 schrieb James:
> Sebastian Be▀ler <sebastian <at> darkmetatron.de> writes:
> > Tried to fix it by underscaning but that doesn't help either. My TV
> > always adaptes magically.
>
> You can try to play the the DisplaySize settings, which is what
> I used in a similar situation:

I tried that before without luck.

After some deep thinking I remember that I used some command to center the
picture on my TV when I was using fglrx. I can't remember which command and
dumb as I are sometimes deleted the script that issued this command every
reboot. All I remember is that it sets some coordinats to 0,0

I have for now abandoned the HDMI cable and connect the TV via VGA cable and
use the PC setting of my TV.

I will look again into this if I find some sparetime in the future. For now
other things have higher priority.

But thanks to all for your effords

Greetings

Sebastian Be▀ler