Old 02-19-2010, 10:38 AM
Harry Putnam

Default How to get text only console on livecd install

How can I force a text only console when installing from live cd?

(This is the most recent livecd for x86 on www.gentoo.org)

There appears only gentoo or gentoo-nofb...as boot choices and either
of those ends in a gui.

I always find it takes me 10 minutes to find a terminal once the gui
comes up. So prefer the text console.

Looking thru the F2 options.. as well, I don't see a choice that looks
like it might give me a text only console to work in.

I realize I can do something once I find a command terminal to either
kill X or just use that terminal... but why have to dick around like that?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:53 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 05:38 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> How can I force a text only console when installing from live cd?

I think it's something to do with "nox" but I'm not sure exactly how.

Either that or start using the minimal boot CD's - only about 100MB and
no X

"Our vision is to speed up time, eventually eliminating it."
-- Alex Schure

Old 02-19-2010, 04:02 PM
Willie Wong

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 05:38:06AM -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> How can I force a text only console when installing from live cd?
>
> (This is the most recent livecd for x86 on www.gentoo.org)
>
> There appears only gentoo or gentoo-nofb...as boot choices and either
> of those ends in a gui.

Heh, that's why I've been using SystemRescueCD to do my gentoo
installs.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton