Old 02-19-2010, 04:49 AM
"James Homuth"

Default Can't see /dev/hda1,2,3 but I know they exist...

I performed a bit of
an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after reboot, I lost the ability to
do anything with /dev/hda*. I currently have 0 swap space, and according to
stat, ls etc, they don't exist. But, booting to an install CD I burned for
diagnostic purposes, it sees them just fine. Also, and this is the strange part.
It boots no problem, so the OS is able to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though
from the command line I'm not seeing it. I'm probably missing something
completely dead obvious (it's after midnight here and all), and Google's turning
up nothing, so if someone could kindly slap me in the face with it, that'd be
appreciated. Thanks either way for whatever help comes my
way.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:55 AM
Hung Dang

performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after
reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I currently
have 0 swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't exist.
But, booting to an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees
them just fine. Also, and this is the strange part. It boots no
problem, so the OS is able to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though
from the command line I'm not seeing it. I'm probably missing something
completely dead obvious (it's after midnight here and all), and
Google's turning up nothing, so if someone could kindly slap me in the
face with it, that'd be appreciated. Thanks either way for whatever
help comes my way.

How about /dev/sda1,2,3?

Hung

Old 02-19-2010, 06:01 AM
daid kahl

On 19 February 2010 14:49, James Homuth <james@the-jdh.com> wrote:
> I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after
> reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*.
> But, booting to
> an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees them just fine.

Kernel versions of native install and Live CD?

I susupect Hung's suggestion may be the answer. AFAIK grub is boot
strapping before the kernel, and so the devices can be named different
from BIOS and the install. I had a similar strange problem where I
needed symlinks for hd devices to sd devices or vice versa with an
older kernel and newer hardware (and I think some BIOS tweaks). [I'm
not recommending people to symlink devices, since that seems like a
bad way to do things, but I'm willing to be stupid for myself in cases
of need.]

~daid

Old 02-19-2010, 06:58 AM
"James Homuth"

> I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and
> after reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*.
> But, booting to
> an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees them just fine.

Kernel versions of native install and Live CD?

Native install is running 2.6.29. Live CD is running I'm not certain which
version kernel. It's the most recent ISO of the X86 CD however, so I imagine
later than that.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:07 AM
"James Homuth"

*

[...]
is no /dev/sda*, either. First thing I
checked.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:18 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Friday 19 February 2010 09:07:59 James Homuth wrote:
> _____

As your root-filesystem does appear to be mounted, can you give use the result
of the "mount" command to see how it identifies the root-filesystem?

I have seen harddrive naming schemes change between kernel versions. Eg. hda
might end up being hdb or hdc,... (same with sd.....)

Alternatively, to avoid this, you could use drive-labels and configure
/etc/fstab with these labels rather then the drive-items.

Can you also show us the dmesg-output to see if the drives are actually
identified?
If "udev" is not running correctly, the device-nodes might not be created
automatically.

--
Joost

Old 02-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Stroller

On 19 Feb 2010, at 05:49, James Homuth wrote: I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I currently have 0 swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't exist. But, booting to an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it sees them just fine. Also, and this is the strange part. It boots no problem, so the OS is able to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though from the command line I'm not seeing it. I'm probably missing something completely dead obvious (it's after midnight here and all), and Google's turning up nothing, so if someone could kindly slap me in the face with it, that'd be appreciated. Thanks either way for whatever help comes my way.
I would try to help, but your text is too small.
This is why you should post in plain-text format.
Stroller.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and
after reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I
currently have 0 swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't
exist. But, booting to an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes,
it sees them just fine. Also, and this is the strange part. It boots
no problem, so the OS is able to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though
from the command line I'm not seeing it. I'm probably missing
something completely dead obvious (it's after midnight here and all),
and Google's turning up nothing, so if someone could kindly slap me in
the face with it, that'd be appreciated. Thanks either way for
whatever help comes my way.

How about /dev/sda1,2,3?
There is no /dev/sda*, either. First thing I checked.

Hello. Please quote correctly when you reply, like everybody else.

You can see the partitions listed in the /proc/partitions file.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:26 AM
Alex Schuster

James Homuth writes:

> I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and after
> reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I currently
> have 0 swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't exist.
> But, booting to an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes, it
> sees them just fine. Also, and this is the strange part. It boots no
> problem, so the OS is able to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though
> from the command line I'm not seeing it. I'm probably missing
> something completely dead obvious (it's after midnight here and all),
> and Google's turning up nothing, so if someone could kindly slap me in
> the face with it, that'd be appreciated. Thanks either way for
> whatever help comes my way.

See the "When is a disk not a disk" thread a few days ago. I guess this is
the same problem:

On Monday 08 February 2010 02:25:17 Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> b) You have a corrupted partition table that you can try to repair
> with the "testdisk" tool (after you make a full backup of your
> disk.)

That seems to have been it. Testdisk did indeed write a new partition
table, minus one of the partitions which it insisted on deleting so I
suppose something was wrong with it.

Wonko

Old 02-19-2010, 10:43 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 00:49 -0500, James Homuth wrote:
> I performed a bit of an update on my laptop a day or two ago, and
> after reboot, I lost the ability to do anything with /dev/hda*. I
> currently have 0 swap space, and according to stat, ls etc, they don't
> exist. But, booting to an install CD I burned for diagnostic purposes,
> it sees them just fine. Also, and this is the strange part. It boots
> no problem, so the OS is able to mount at least /dev/hda3, even though
> from the command line I'm not seeing it. I'm probably missing
> something completely dead obvious (it's after midnight here and all),
> and Google's turning up nothing, so if someone could kindly slap me in
> the face with it, that'd be appreciated. Thanks either way for
> whatever help comes my way.

The first thing that jumps to my mind is you have an older initrd that
has your HD drivers in it (such as ATA), but the newer kernel you've
probably just built (is that what you mean by "a bit of an update"?)
doesn't.

Check for an initrd, and tell us what "a bit of an update" means You
could also compare config files between your rescue CD and your system,
if you can find it!

HTH,

Diplomacy is the art of saying "nice doggie" until you can find a rock.
-- Wynn Catlin