Old 02-18-2010, 01:40 PM
James

Default Screen sharing software or similar

Renat Golubchyk <ragermany <at> gmx.net> writes:

> too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
> writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
> keyboard and mouse.

If my old (weak) memory serves me correctly,
some time back several folks where discussing getting writing tablets to
work with Gentoo. Once you get working, I'd think there are several
approaches to an interactive desktop to use with the tablet. So a search
of this subject on this list might be a good place to start?

You could check on the embedded-gentoo user group to see if any
of those guys have some working hardware for a tablet or such.

hth,
James

Old 02-18-2010, 01:42 PM
Willie Wong

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 02:15:52PM +0100, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
> My relatives live 200 km away. They have a daughter, and I need to help
> her out with school homework etc. At the moment we cannot do it on a
> regular basis, because doing it over the phone is really difficult and
> time consuming. I thought some screen sharing software would solve
> this. A video conferencing or a VoIP feature would be a nice bonus,
> too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
> writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> So, is there some easy-to-use Linux program? I have Linux desktops on
> both ends (Ubuntu and Gentoo), so portability or OS-independence is not
> a requirement.

Skype + gimp/inkscape ?

Use your tablet to draw in any image editing program. Save to file.
Skype has the ability to send file on demand. It will be slightly
slower, but still faster than just talking. I know Skype has a lot of
"Whiteboard" plugins, but they look like they only work for Windows
clients. (Back in the 90s my father and I used to use this internet
voice chat software called Aloha that has whiteboards built-in.)

Or maybe Coccinella?
http://packages.gentoo.org/package/net-im/coccinella
Its package description says "Jabber Client with Built-in Whiteboard
and VoIP". I've never used it myself. You can probably grok through
the net-im category yourself to find others.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 02-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Alex Schuster

Renat Golubchyk writes:

> My relatives live 200 km away. They have a daughter, and I need to help
> her out with school homework etc. At the moment we cannot do it on a
> regular basis, because doing it over the phone is really difficult and
> time consuming. I thought some screen sharing software would solve
> this. A video conferencing or a VoIP feature would be a nice bonus,
> too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
> writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> So, is there some easy-to-use Linux program? I have Linux desktops on
> both ends (Ubuntu and Gentoo), so portability or OS-independence is not
> a requirement.
>
> Do you have any other ideas? For the record, we have a 2 Mbit DSL line
> on one end and a 6 Mbit on the other. Those are, of course, downstream
> bandwidth rates.

You could use Skype to replace your phone communication, if you don't mind
its spookiness (I do). It also does video conferencing. If plain audio is
enough, I'd use TeamSpeak.

Some jabber client for text conversations would be fine. Also works for
formulas, if you know some LaTeX...

And then VNC (epecially TightVNC) to share your drawings on the tablet.

For ultimate performance, you could install NX, which makes X forwarding
amazingly fast. One party connects to the remote NX server and opens a KDE
3.5 session, which will work nearly as fast if it were opened locally. And
the other connects via VNC to that KDE session, which is also very fast
then because it runs locally, not over DSL. I do not know if other window
managers than KDE 3.5 have the VNC sharing feature, I have not found it in
KDE4.

You might need some port forwarding if you both are NATed behind a router.

Wonko

Old 02-18-2010, 10:48 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 14:15 +0100, Renat Golubchyk wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm looking for a solution to the following problem.

A lot of people have answered already, but you may be interested to know
the current linux release of skype 2.1.0.81 lets you share part or all
of your desktop. It's view only, and it replaces the webcam stream with
your desktop - pretty neat.

For 2-way desktop interaction we often use vnc. Use a vnc server and
client capable of the tight extensions, and don't forget to use them:
vncviewer -encodings tight host
or
vncviewer -via somehost -encodings tight localhost
would ssh via somehost. Use localhost if you can ssh directly to the
box, or the actual hostname accessible via 'somehost' if you have to go
via a gateway.

I use net-misc/tightvnc. If you can ssh to the box, you can vnc to it.
You could run skype as well just for the audio.

HTH,

While it may be true that a watched pot never boils, the one you don't
keep an eye on can make an awful mess of your stove.
-- Edward Stevenson

Old 02-20-2010, 11:15 AM
Roger Mason

James <wireless@tampabay.rr.com> writes:

> Renat Golubchyk <ragermany <at> gmx.net> writes:
>

>> too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
>> writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
>> keyboard and mouse.
>

> If my old (weak) memory serves me correctly,
> some time back several folks where discussing getting writing tablets to
> work with Gentoo.

Tha tablet part of this ought to be straightforward. I have a Wacom
Graphire USB tablet working with several machines including PPC,
Core2duo & x86. I have the tablet configured in xorg.conf (have not
tried with hal). There is info on the wiki:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Wacom_Tablet

Roger