-   -   Screen sharing software or similar (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/328131-screen-sharing-software-similar.html)

Renat Golubchyk 02-18-2010 12:15 PM

Screen sharing software or similar

Hi all!

I'm looking for a solution to the following problem.

My relatives live 200 km away. They have a daughter, and I need to help
her out with school homework etc. At the moment we cannot do it on a
regular basis, because doing it over the phone is really difficult and
time consuming. I thought some screen sharing software would solve
this. A video conferencing or a VoIP feature would be a nice bonus,
too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
keyboard and mouse.

So, is there some easy-to-use Linux program? I have Linux desktops on
both ends (Ubuntu and Gentoo), so portability or OS-independence is not
a requirement.

Do you have any other ideas? For the record, we have a 2 Mbit DSL line
on one end and a 6 Mbit on the other. Those are, of course, downstream
bandwidth rates.

Best wishes,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.

Alan McKinnon 02-18-2010 12:36 PM

On Thursday 18 February 2010 15:15:52 Renat Golubchyk wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm looking for a solution to the following problem.
>
> My relatives live 200 km away. They have a daughter, and I need to help
> her out with school homework etc. At the moment we cannot do it on a
> regular basis, because doing it over the phone is really difficult and
> time consuming. I thought some screen sharing software would solve
> this. A video conferencing or a VoIP feature would be a nice bonus,
> too. For easy writing I would probably buy graphics tablets since
> writing math formulas or drawing isn't particularly fast or easy with
> keyboard and mouse.
>
> So, is there some easy-to-use Linux program? I have Linux desktops on
> both ends (Ubuntu and Gentoo), so portability or OS-independence is not
> a requirement.
>
> Do you have any other ideas? For the record, we have a 2 Mbit DSL line
> on one end and a 6 Mbit on the other. Those are, of course, downstream
> bandwidth rates.
>

> Best wishes,
> Renat

remote desktop would be ideal except you can't usually share desktops with it.

Investigate tightvnc - the data stream can be compressed and it's very
efficient.
You could use skype for the human-to-human communication. There are of course
tons of alternatives but I imagine a girl at school is already very familiar
with skype.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com