Old 02-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Harry Putnam

Default Choice of Photo gallery tools

I wondered if anyone here can speak on the various photo and gallery
generating tools available on linux.

I have photos on smugmug.com and wondered if there is do it yourself
tools that come anywhere close the sophisticated handling they do.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:35 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 17:14 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> I wondered if anyone here can speak on the various photo and gallery
> generating tools available on linux.
>
> I have photos on smugmug.com and wondered if there is do it yourself
> tools that come anywhere close the sophisticated handling they do.

never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
you sell them online.

Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
hosting.

"My education message will resignate amonst all parents."

George W. Bush
January 19, 2000
Quoted in the New York Post.

Old 02-18-2010, 05:31 AM
Mick

On Thursday 18 February 2010 01:35:12 Iain Buchanan wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 17:14 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
> > I wondered if anyone here can speak on the various photo and gallery
> > generating tools available on linux.
> >
> > I have photos on smugmug.com and wondered if there is do it yourself
> > tools that come anywhere close the sophisticated handling they do.
>
> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
> push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
> need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
> you sell them online.
>
> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
> hosting.

A really low-tech solution that was more than enough for me was the ability of
Konqueror 3.x to generate an html page with thumbnails and link it to the
folder with all your chosen photos. With KDE4 I had to install kim4 for
editing my pics and creating an html gallery.

Mick

Old 02-18-2010, 07:30 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:05:12 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:

> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
> push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
> need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
> you sell them online.
>
> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
> hosting.

If you want to host it yourself, there's Gallery. It too has plenty of
options and can take a little tweaking to get it just as you want.

--
Neil Bothwick

EASY TO INSTALL = Difficult to install, but instruction manual has
pictures.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:50 PM
Harry Putnam

Iain Buchanan <iaindb@netspace.net.au> writes:

> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 17:14 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> I wondered if anyone here can speak on the various photo and gallery
>> generating tools available on linux.
>>
>> I have photos on smugmug.com and wondered if there is do it yourself
>> tools that come anywhere close the sophisticated handling they do.
>

> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
> push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
> need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
> you sell them online.

I'll look into JAlbum

One main requirement is that user/viewer be able to download full
resolution original photos. No commercial (shopping cart) type stuff
is required.... just a family operation.

> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
> hosting.

Yeah thats what I'm after.

Old 02-18-2010, 01:53 PM
Harry Putnam

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:05:12 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
>
>> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
>> push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
>> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
>> need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
>> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
>> you sell them online.
>>
>> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
>> hosting.
>
> If you want to host it yourself, there's Gallery. It too has plenty of
> options and can take a little tweaking to get it just as you want.

Neil, do you know off hand if gallery offers user/viewer the ability
to download original (full res) images? Or does it generate the php
versions but leave the originals out of what is viewed?

Old 02-18-2010, 01:54 PM
Harry Putnam

Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday 18 February 2010 01:35:12 Iain Buchanan wrote:
>> On Wed, 2010-02-17 at 17:14 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>> > I wondered if anyone here can speak on the various photo and
>> > gallery generating tools available on linux.
>> >
>> > I have photos on smugmug.com and wondered if there is do it
>> > yourself tools that come anywhere close the sophisticated
>> > handling they do.
>>
>> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
>> push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
>> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
>> need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
>> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
>> you sell them online.
>>
>> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
>> hosting.
>
> A really low-tech solution that was more than enough for me was the
> ability of Konqueror 3.x to generate an html page with thumbnails
> and link it to the folder with all your chosen photos. With KDE4 I
> had to install kim4 for editing my pics and creating an html
> gallery.

That does sound close to what I need, but it involves jacking around
with KDE, something I swore off of a while back.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:50 PM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Thursday 18 February 2010 15:53:15 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:
> > On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 11:05:12 +0930, Iain Buchanan wrote:
> >> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
> >> push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
> >> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
> >> need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
> >> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
> >> you sell them online.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
> >> hosting.
> >
> > If you want to host it yourself, there's Gallery. It too has plenty of
> > options and can take a little tweaking to get it just as you want.
>
> Neil, do you know off hand if gallery offers user/viewer the ability
> to download original (full res) images? Or does it generate the php
> versions but leave the originals out of what is viewed?

I use Gallery myself for my picture collection and this can be configured
easily.
As in, you can allow users access to all versions or just the 'resized'
versions.
This can be done through groups or specific users.

I usually only allow people to access the resized versions. It does support
resizing on-the-fly, but only to the sizes you actually configured for that
particular photo/album/...

the on-the-fly bit is only done if the requested size doesn't exist yet, eg.
it will only do it once (unless you clear the derivatives folder )

--
Joost

Old 02-18-2010, 03:25 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:53:15 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> > If you want to host it yourself, there's Gallery. It too has plenty of
> > options and can take a little tweaking to get it just as you want.
>
> Neil, do you know off hand if gallery offers user/viewer the ability
> to download original (full res) images? Or does it generate the php
> versions but leave the originals out of what is viewed?

It's your choice, you can allow specified resolution or full size too. I
only allow full size to logged in users, to stop web spiders eating up
all my bandwidth by crawling over the original image links.

--
Neil Bothwick

If at first you don't suceed, try the switch marked "Power"

Old 02-18-2010, 08:45 PM
Mick

On Thursday 18 February 2010 14:54:37 Harry Putnam wrote:
> Mick <michaelkintzios@gmail.com> writes:

> >> never tried smugmug and don't know what your requirements are, but I
> >> push JAlbum. You can create some pretty good looking albums and run
> >> them from CD / HD / webserver (I especially like the fact that you don't
> >> need a webserver). It can synchronise to your website. There are a
> >> plethora of options and free + commercial skins, plus plug-ins to let
> >> you sell them online.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately it's just the generation tool, you have to find your own
> >> hosting.
> >
> > A really low-tech solution that was more than enough for me was the
> > ability of Konqueror 3.x to generate an html page with thumbnails
> > and link it to the folder with all your chosen photos. With KDE4 I
> > had to install kim4 for editing my pics and creating an html
> > gallery.
>
> That does sound close to what I need, but it involves jacking around
> with KDE, something I swore off of a while back.

Use Knoppix or similar to see if it does what you want, as you want it and
then decide if it is worth you installing Konqueror and kim4. JAlbum is a
more substantial application built for this purpose (as long as you have Java
on your machine).

Mick