Old 02-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Harry Putnam

Default Choice of Photo gallery tools

[ Note for fellow searchers: The topic here is the image/photo Gallery
software available on portage as: www-apps/gallery
]

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 18 Feb 2010 08:53:15 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
>
>> > If you want to host it yourself, there's Gallery. It too has plenty of
>> > options and can take a little tweaking to get it just as you want.
>>
>> Neil, do you know off hand if gallery offers user/viewer the ability
>> to download original (full res) images? Or does it generate the php
>> versions but leave the originals out of what is viewed?
>
> It's your choice, you can allow specified resolution or full size too. I
> only allow full size to logged in users, to stop web spiders eating up
> all my bandwidth by crawling over the original image links.

Great info fellas... thanks, I reposted it here for the ease of any
searchers who may stumble on it.

Old 02-18-2010, 11:04 PM
Iain Buchanan

On Thu, 2010-02-18 at 08:50 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:

> I'll look into JAlbum
>
> One main requirement is that user/viewer be able to download full
> resolution original photos. No commercial (shopping cart) type stuff
> is required.... just a family operation.

from memory I did 3 sizes - the thumbnail, an intermediate size suitable
for screen viewing after clicking on the thumbnail, and then a third
size which was the original image size. In some cases I left the
original size out to save space.

I gave these out to family as well - some as CD's and some as zip files.
In either case you just had to open index.htm and the rest was done (as
mentioned, so long as you have java in your browser).

A good question is never answered. It is not a bolt to be tightened
into place but a seed to be planted and to bear more seed toward the
hope of greening the landscape of idea.
-- John Ciardi