Old 02-16-2010, 08:26 PM
ubiquitous1980

Default KDE 4.3 Weather Forecast Applet does not find Perth (Looking for a Fix)

Using KDE 4.3 Weather Forecast Applet for amd64. I know BBC broke
this. Anyone got a fix?

Old 02-17-2010, 07:09 PM
Matthias Krebs

Am Dienstag 16 Februar 2010 22:26:11 schrieb ubiquitous1980:
> Using KDE 4.3 Weather Forecast Applet for amd64. I know BBC broke
> this. Anyone got a fix?

update to kde 4.4

bbc works again (at least for berlin)

Old 02-18-2010, 01:21 PM
ubiquitous1980

Matthias Krebs wrote:
> Am Dienstag 16 Februar 2010 22:26:11 schrieb ubiquitous1980:
>
>> Using KDE 4.3 Weather Forecast Applet for amd64. I know BBC broke
>> this. Anyone got a fix?
>>

> update to kde 4.4
>

> bbc works again (at least for berlin)

You can use cwp (customisable weather plasmoid) from kde-look. Requires
hand installation. Hope that helps.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:32 PM
Mick

On Thursday 18 February 2010 16:51:00 you wrote:
> On 18 February 2010 14:21, ubiquitous1980 <nixuser1980@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Matthias Krebs wrote:
> >>
> >> update to kde 4.4
> >>

> >> bbc works again (at least for berlin)
> >
> > You can use cwp (customisable weather plasmoid) from kde-look. Requires
> > hand installation. Hope that helps.
>
> Or you can copy the URL from the BBC RSS feed and it should work. Let
> me know which location you want and I can copy it over for you to try.

Open your ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and add this line for
your source of the weather applet:

source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth, Australia|
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/92/ObservationsRSS.xml

all on one line.

Or if you prefer Perth International, then add this:

source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth International, Australia|
http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1954/ObservationsRSS.xml

Hope this makes it work again.
Mick

Old 02-21-2010, 01:35 AM
ubiquitous1980

Mick wrote:
> On Thursday 18 February 2010 16:51:00 you wrote:

>>> You can use cwp (customisable weather plasmoid) from kde-look. Requires
>>> hand installation. Hope that helps.
>>>
>> Or you can copy the URL from the BBC RSS feed and it should work. Let
>> me know which location you want and I can copy it over for you to try.
>>

> Open your ~/.kde4/share/config/plasma-desktop-appletsrc and add this line for
> your source of the weather applet:
>
> source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth, Australia|
> http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/92/ObservationsRSS.xml
>
> all on one line.
>
> Or if you prefer Perth International, then add this:
>
> source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth International, Australia|
> http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/1954/ObservationsRSS.xml

I can confirm that this solution works as long as you have first
selected another source, then changed the source to the BBC one while
you are not logged in to KDE4. You need the surrounding configuration
information similar as follows:

[Containments][1][Applets][15][Configuration]
pressureUnit=hPa
source=bbcukmet|weather|Perth,
Australia|http://newsrss.bbc.co.uk/weather/forecast/92/ObservationsRSS.xml
speedUnit=ms
temperatureUnit=C
updateInterval=30
visibilityUnit=km

Though I do not think this should be simply typed in!?

Be aware that if you are logged in, the source is saved as the last one
selected in the menu. If you close the applet, the source in the above
config file is blanked, along with the other specification data. Which
unless you edit the file whilst not logged into KDE4, creates a catch
22. You try to select BBC in menu, then edit the file, then when you
try to select the entry again in the plasmoid, it will not find the
locality. So you try then by shutting the plasmoid, but the settings
are gone. Therefore, use a working selection in the menu, log out of
KDE, settings are saved, then edit the source line in your editor such
as nano or vim. On next log in to KDE4, select BBC, and it now works.
Sorry if this is a long-winded explanation.