Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Neil Bothwick

Default Problem with installation kde-meta, gnome

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:25:25 +0100, Andzrzej Styczeń wrote:

> * Error: circular dependencies:
>
> ('ebuild','/','devel-util/cmake-2.6.4-r3','merge') depends on
> * * ('ebuild','/','x11-libs/qt-gui-4.5.3-r2','merge') (buildtime)

qt-gui needs cmake to build, but you have set the qt4 USE flag, so cmake
needs QT to build, hence the circular dependency.

USE="-qt4" emerge --oneshot cmake

will temporarily build cmake without QT support, allowing it to build
first.

--
Neil Bothwick

There's no such thing as a free lunch
___Steve Ballmer, choking on a linuxburger

Old 02-17-2010, 01:57 PM
Crístian Viana

the "qt4" useflag isn't enabled by default, right? that'd be a big 'default' problem to people installing KDE.

On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:

On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:25:25 +0100, Andzrzej Styczeń wrote:

> * Error: circular dependencies:

> ('ebuild','/','devel-util/cmake-2.6.4-r3','merge') depends on

> * * ('ebuild','/','x11-libs/qt-gui-4.5.3-r2','merge') (buildtime)

qt-gui needs cmake to build, but you have set the qt4 USE flag, so cmake

needs QT to build, hence the circular dependency.

USE="-qt4" emerge --oneshot cmake

will temporarily build cmake without QT support, allowing it to build

first.

--

Neil Bothwick

There's no such thing as a free lunch

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *___Steve Ballmer, choking on a linuxburger

--
Cr*stian Deives dos Santos Viana [aka CD1]
Sent from Campinas, SP, Brazil

Old 02-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 16:57:34 Cr*stian Viana wrote:
> the "qt4" useflag isn't enabled by default, right? that'd be a big
> 'default' problem to people installing KDE.
>
> On Wed, Feb 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 17 Feb 2010 10:25:25 +0100, Andzrzej Styczeń wrote:
> > > * Error: circular dependencies:
> > >
> > > ('ebuild','/','devel-util/cmake-2.6.4-r3','merge') depends on
> > >
> > > ('ebuild','/','x11-libs/qt-gui-4.5.3-r2','merge') (buildtime)

> > qt-gui needs cmake to build, but you have set the qt4 USE flag, so cmake
> > needs QT to build, hence the circular dependency.
> >
> > USE="-qt4" emerge --oneshot cmake
> >
> > will temporarily build cmake without QT support, allowing it to build
> > first.
> >

> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
> >
> > There's no such thing as a free lunch
> >
> > ___Steve Ballmer, choking on a linuxburger

I detect a spectacular dose of stupidity in these build settings.

Use wants KDE4
Therefore user must have Qt4 as it doesn't run on Qt3
So USE=qt4 is a must
Qt4 is built with cmake

Up till this point everything is cool and makes sense.

But now cmake needs Qt4.

WTF????????

How on this earth can anyone reasonably expect a BUILD SYSTEM to have the gui
libs already installed that the build system is designed to build????

I mean, come on, lets get real here. Someone needs a good thumping with a clue
by four. This little scenario has just guaranteed that everyone building KDE4
for the first time on a machine will run into a show-stopper.

This warrants a knee-capping.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Andrzej Styczeń

On Wednesday 17 of February 2010 13:00:27 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> qt-gui needs cmake to build, but you have set the qt4 USE flag, so cmake
> needs QT to build, hence the circular dependency.
>
> USE="-qt4" emerge --oneshot cmake
>
> will temporarily build cmake without QT support, allowing it to build
> first.

Thank you for your help.
I tried this, what you pointed

USE="-qt4" emerge --oneshot cmake

but still there are other not resolved dependicies, I will wait to tomorrow.

I also try to install 'octave' and got similar problems with "circular
dependencies".

Andrzej

Old 02-18-2010, 01:11 PM
"Arttu V."

On 2/17/10, Andrzej Styczeń <styczen_andrzej@o2.pl> wrote:
> Thank you for your help.
> I tried this, what you pointed
>
> USE="-qt4" emerge --oneshot cmake
>
> but still there are other not resolved dependicies, I will wait to tomorrow.
>
> I also try to install 'octave' and got similar problems with "circular
> dependencies".

I'm guessing you're stuck with one or more of the regular USE-flag
related circular deps problems: cups, ldap, sasl, kerberos, rle and
what are there (and apparently now I have to add qt4 into the mix as
well). Do you happen to have any of these enabled?

I keep running into them with each and every new desktop system
install. Yes, I'm a greedy pig when it comes to USE flags, I enable
most (if not everything) -- and then keep banging my head on many,
many of these circular deps. Each of those needs a separate emerge
(like the one Neil gave as an example for cmake) to break the cycles
in the dependency tree.

--
Arttu V.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Andrzej Styczeń

On Thursday 18 of February 2010 15:11:16 Arttu V. wrote:

> I'm guessing you're stuck with one or more of the regular USE-flag
> related circular deps problems: cups, ldap, sasl, kerberos, rle and
> what are there (and apparently now I have to add qt4 into the mix as
> well). Do you happen to have any of these enabled?
>
> I keep running into them with each and every new desktop system
> install. Yes, I'm a greedy pig when it comes to USE flags, I enable
> most (if not everything) -- and then keep banging my head on many,
> many of these circular deps. Each of those needs a separate emerge
> (like the one Neil gave as an example for cmake) to break the cycles
> in the dependency tree.

I'm very sorry to unable answer you. I could not wait such long, because I
must use my laptop in work, so I install Debian back yesterday :-(. I will
try Gentoo amd64 when I finish my work on Debian.

I also try Gentoo on my desktop i386 at home and there the installation went
very well with kde-meta. There aren't any problems with installation kde-meta
(emerge kde-meta).

On my laptop (amd64) and home computer (i386) I only put these flags what
emerge want during the installation. I do not add any other, because I quite
newbie to Gentoo (and I don't know what I should put there). As I mention
earlier on my home computer (i386) everything go well :-), but on amd64
not :-( - maybe next time will be better. Anyway I have only such problems
with amd64 to install kde-meta or maybe anyone else?

Thank you for your help and time.

Best wishes,
Andrzej

Old 02-20-2010, 01:56 AM
Zeerak Mustafa Waseem

On Fri, Feb 19, 2010 at 02:16:41PM +0100, Andrzej Stycze?? wrote:
> On Thursday 18 of February 2010 15:11:16 Arttu V. wrote:
>
> > I'm guessing you're stuck with one or more of the regular USE-flag
> > related circular deps problems: cups, ldap, sasl, kerberos, rle and
> > what are there (and apparently now I have to add qt4 into the mix as
> > well). Do you happen to have any of these enabled?
> >
> > I keep running into them with each and every new desktop system
> > install. Yes, I'm a greedy pig when it comes to USE flags, I enable
> > most (if not everything) -- and then keep banging my head on many,
> > many of these circular deps. Each of those needs a separate emerge
> > (like the one Neil gave as an example for cmake) to break the cycles
> > in the dependency tree.
>
> I'm very sorry to unable answer you. I could not wait such long, because I
> must use my laptop in work, so I install Debian back yesterday :-(. I will
> try Gentoo amd64 when I finish my work on Debian.
>
> I also try Gentoo on my desktop i386 at home and there the installation went
> very well with kde-meta. There aren't any problems with installation kde-meta
> (emerge kde-meta).
>
> On my laptop (amd64) and home computer (i386) I only put these flags what
> emerge want during the installation. I do not add any other, because I quite
> newbie to Gentoo (and I don't know what I should put there). As I mention
> earlier on my home computer (i386) everything go well :-), but on amd64
> not :-( - maybe next time will be better. Anyway I have only such problems
> with amd64 to install kde-meta or maybe anyone else?

If I understand you correctly, then you only set useflags when you invoke emerge? As in "USE="foo" emerge foobar". Is this how you're doing it or am I just misunderstanding?
If it is how you're doing it, then I would suggest that you start using your /etc/portage/package.use file instead (it doesn't exist by default, you have to make the directory and the file) and add the use flags you want for the package you're about to install. This way it'll be a permanent useflag that isn't overwritten next time that specific package needs an update.

> Thank you for your help and time.
>
> Best wishes,
> Andrzej

Zeerak

Old 02-20-2010, 08:05 AM
Andrzej Styczeń

On Saturday 20 of February 2010 03:56:32 Zeerak Mustafa Waseem wrote:

> If I understand you correctly, then you only set useflags when you invoke
> emerge? As in "USE="foo" emerge foobar". Is this how you're doing it or am
> I just misunderstanding?

Yes and no.

Yes, because I add a given flag to USE in /etc/make.conf. If emerge want it,
when I do the following command:
# emerge kde-meta

After this command, emerge tell me that I must to use e.g. X, so I add a
given flag to USE="X jpeg png -debug" etc. to file /etc/make.conf.

No, because I put it to /etc/make.conf, not as you show all in one line:
# USE="X jpeg png -debug" emerge kde-meta
I do not do as above line.

> If it is how you're doing it, then I would suggest
> that you start using your /etc/portage/package.use file instead (it doesn't
> exist by default, you have to make the directory and the file) and add the
> use flags you want for the package you're about to install. This way it'll
> be a permanent useflag that isn't overwritten next time that specific
> package needs an update.

Thank you for this hint :-)

> Zeerak

Andrzej

Old 02-20-2010, 12:31 PM
Dale

[...]

Something that may help in the future, when you change the USE line in
make.conf, you may want to add the -N option to your next emerge. That
tells portage to evaluate what, if anything, needs to be recompiled with
the new USE flags. Depending on the version of portage you are using,
this could cause future builds to fail because of missing parts of other
packages.

For me, when I sync and do my updates, I run emerge -uvDNa world. It
will at times compile a few extra packages but it does make for a more
sane system. It's almost as good as running emerge -e world.

Just a thought.

Dale

:-) :-)