Old 02-17-2010, 10:39 AM
Mick

Default Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?

On 17 February 2010 00:12, Volker Armin Hemmann

> you want dependency nightmare?
>
> openoffice depends on libwpd
> libwpd depends on libgsf
> libgsf pulls gconf in.
>
> I don't need wordperfect, I don't want gnome. No way to get rid of that crap.

I know. :-(

> Even basic libs are pulling in tons of gnome crap today. Why? KDE does not
> infest low level stuff. If you don't want KDE stuff, you don't have to install
> it. But thanks to some $$%&$@& even low level libs and apps pull in that
> shit today.
> If freedesktop wouldn't be that sick joke it is, such behaviour wouldn't be.

One more reason why over the years I gravitated towards using KDE apps
and staying away from Gnome. I think that a maturing Linux has
inevitably become heavier in terms of DEs and dependencies. Even on
my new laptop I will be staying away from Gnome as a DE and am
thinking of giving LXDE a spin, to see if it is any better than
Fluxbox.
Mick