Old 02-16-2010, 09:42 AM
Norman Rieß

Default Gentoo on SSD

Am 02/16/10 10:28, schrieb alain.didierjean@free.fr:

I'm thinking of re-installing Gentoo on an Intel 40 Megs SSD -- excluding the
most often writen dirs like /var, /tmp, /home --. What do you think ? I'll be
glad to hear about previous experiences. What about swap ? Is it safe to have it
on the SSD ?

Hi,

i have a Gentoo System on SSD running for a while now. No problems.

Regards,
Norman

Old 02-16-2010, 01:25 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag 16 Februar 2010, alain.didierjean@free.fr wrote:
> I'm thinking of re-installing Gentoo on an Intel 40 Megs SSD -- excluding
> the most often writen dirs like /var, /tmp, /home --. What do you think ?
> I'll be glad to hear about previous experiences. What about swap ? Is it
> safe to have it on the SSD ?

I have / on ssd, but /tmp on tmpfs, /var on harddisk and swap on harddisk.

I don't want to wear it down ... and 40gb is not that much.

Old 02-16-2010, 05:17 PM
James

<alain.didierjean <at> free.fr> writes:

> I'm thinking of re-installing Gentoo on an Intel 40 Megs
SSD -- excluding the
> most often writen dirs like /var, /tmp, /home --. What do
you think ? I'll be
> glad to hear about previous experiences. What about swap ?
Is it safe to have it
> on the SSD ?

I run minimal servers on 4 Gig Compact Flash-2-ide. Similar but not as
robust as SSD. You should not have any problems, if you PLAN, THINK through
your intended application(s) and ASK questions on this list...... methinks.

caveat emptor,

James

Old 02-16-2010, 07:31 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 16.02.2010 11:42, schrieb Norman Rieß:
> Am 02/16/10 10:28, schrieb alain.didierjean@free.fr:
>> I'm thinking of re-installing Gentoo on an Intel 40 Megs SSD --
>> excluding the
>> most often writen dirs like /var, /tmp, /home --. What do you think ?
>> I'll be
>> glad to hear about previous experiences. What about swap ? Is it safe
>> to have it
>> on the SSD ?
>>

> Hi,
>
> i have a Gentoo System on SSD running for a while now. No problems.

Hmm, I see massive crashes with my Intel Postville G2 80GB, in the last
2 days ... maybe I have received a bad one ... shouldn't be the same for
all of them.

Gentoo didn't detect it anymore ... etc.

I still try to decide how to proceed. Maybe completely reset it and
start from scratch.

Just my current experience with this specific device ...

Stefan

Old 02-16-2010, 08:04 PM
Grant

> I'm thinking of re-installing Gentoo on an Intel 40 Megs SSD -- excluding the
> most often writen dirs like /var, /tmp, /home --. What do you think ? I'll be
> glad to hear about previous experiences. What about swap ? Is it safe to have it
> on the SSD ?

Why exclude the most written dirs? I thought SSDs were projected to
last longer than HDs? Also, from what I've read, SLC should last much
longer than MLC.

- Grant

Old 02-16-2010, 08:09 PM
Ward Poelmans

On Tue, Feb 16, 2010 at 22:04, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
> *I thought SSDs were projected to
> last longer than HDs? *Also, from what I've read, SLC should last much
> longer than MLC.

It's the other way round: HD's last longer dan SSD's. [1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages

Regards,

Ward

Old 02-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Grant

>> *I thought SSDs were projected to
>> last longer than HDs? *Also, from what I've read, SLC should last much
>> longer than MLC.
>
> It's the other way round: HD's last longer dan SSD's. [1]
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages

Thanks for the link. I did some Googleing too and I'm really
surprised at what I found. It sounds like SSDs don't have the
projected longevity they did when I researched this a year or so ago.
I'm troubled by the ever-lurking possibility of an HD failure and I
thought SSDs would be my way out. Is an HD the best choice for
reliability?

- Grant

Old 02-16-2010, 08:38 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Dienstag 16 Februar 2010, Grant wrote:
> >> I thought SSDs were projected to
> >> last longer than HDs? Also, from what I've read, SLC should last much
> >> longer than MLC.
> >
> > It's the other way round: HD's last longer dan SSD's. [1]
> >
> > [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages
>
> Thanks for the link. I did some Googleing too and I'm really
> surprised at what I found. It sounds like SSDs don't have the
> projected longevity they did when I researched this a year or so ago.
> I'm troubled by the ever-lurking possibility of an HD failure and I
> thought SSDs would be my way out. Is an HD the best choice for
> reliability?
>
> - Grant

depends. Intel for example slows down the ssd if you write too much to prevent
premature failure.

HDD are prone to mechanical failure. SSD not. If you only do moderate writing
SSD are much more reliable. If you do a lot of writing - douzends of gigabyte
a day with a lot of overwriting, a HDD might be the better choice.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:56 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 16.02.2010 22:27, schrieb Grant:
> It sounds like SSDs don't have the
> projected longevity they did when I researched this a year or so ago.
> I'm troubled by the ever-lurking possibility of an HD failure and I
> thought SSDs would be my way out. Is an HD the best choice for
> reliability?

I still don't know.

I had the impression that having my home-dir on the ssd lead to
filesystem-problems ... maybe all those tiny writes ... I don't know.

Could be fs-related as well ...

Moved my home back to hdd as recommended by Volker here a few months
ago. Only having my root on the ssd worked OK for quite some time
(sidenote: how to do that on my thinkpad? Having it hdd-free is one main
reason to move to ssd ...)

As mentioned I faced some hefty crashes in the last days ...
unfortunately I wasn't able to record the logs as the drive simply
disappeared. I thought I had the latest "dmesg > myfile" on hdd but it
was empty after a reboot ....

Currently I am back on my raid1-hdd-root ... slower but OK ;-)

The crashes happened with tuxonice-sources-2.6.32 -- dunno, if the
latest ebuild brings some changes helping in this context.

Maybe it's ext4-related as well ... you know, many moving parts in a
modern system ....

Stefan

Old 02-16-2010, 09:29 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 16 Feb 2010 13:27:22 -0800, Grant wrote:

> I'm troubled by the ever-lurking possibility of an HD failure and I
> thought SSDs would be my way out. Is an HD the best choice for
> reliability?

A single drive, be it HD or SSD, is always at risk of failure. If this is
a significant concern, you should be using some form of RAID, along with
regular, automated backups of course.

--
Neil Bothwick

There is no such thing as an atheist in a foxhole.