Old 02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
walt

Default Gentoo on SSD

On 02/16/2010 01:56 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:

Maybe it's ext4-related as well ... you know, many moving parts in a
modern system ....

Are you using ext4 on the hard drives also? For how long?

Old 02-17-2010, 08:16 PM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 17.02.2010 20:10, schrieb walt:
> On 02/16/2010 01:56 PM, Stefan G. Weichinger wrote:
>
>> Maybe it's ext4-related as well ... you know, many moving parts in a
>> modern system ....
>
> Are you using ext4 on the hard drives also? For how long?

phew, for quite some time ... I'd have to think a while ...
AFAIK there is no way to read that info from the fs

"formatted on 2009-06-....." or something ;-)

It never behaved like that on the hdd-based raid, no.

No such crashes at all.

Old 02-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Alex Schuster

Stefan G. Weichinger writes:

> Am 17.02.2010 20:10, schrieb walt:

> > Are you using ext4 on the hard drives also? For how long?
>
> phew, for quite some time ... I'd have to think a while ...
> AFAIK there is no way to read that info from the fs
>
> "formatted on 2009-06-....." or something ;-)

dumpe2fs /dev/root | grep "Filesystem created:"

Wonko

Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 AM
"Stefan G. Weichinger"

Am 17.02.2010 23:29, schrieb Alex Schuster:

>> AFAIK there is no way to read that info from the fs
>>
>> "formatted on 2009-06-....." or something ;-)
>
> dumpe2fs /dev/root | grep "Filesystem created:"

I am impressed ;-)

On the ssd:

Filesystem created: Mon Jan 4 19:56:09 2010

On the hdd-raid1:

Filesystem created: Tue Aug 4 00:01:32 2009

Any thoughts that the later fs might be buggy because of some bugs in
ext4 or related tools at that time?

Old 02-22-2010, 06:54 AM
daid kahl

On 17 February 2010 06:27, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I thought SSDs were projected to
>>> last longer than HDs? Also, from what I've read, SLC should last much
>>> longer than MLC.
>>
>> It's the other way round: HD's last longer dan SSD's. [1]
>>
>> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#Disadvantages
>
> Thanks for the link. I did some Googleing too and I'm really
> surprised at what I found. It sounds like SSDs don't have the
> projected longevity they did when I researched this a year or so ago.
> I'm troubled by the ever-lurking possibility of an HD failure and I
> thought SSDs would be my way out. Is an HD the best choice for
> reliability?
>
> - Grant

As far as I know, solid state devices are much more susceptible to
solar flare damage, particularly if you are outside. This is not
exactly common, but hey. Of course I also have a theory that not an
insignificant number of computer problems are caused by bit-flips from
cosmic ray induced muon showers, but I digress...

~daid

Old 02-22-2010, 09:57 AM
Stroller

As far as I know, solid state devices are much more susceptible to
solar flare damage, particularly if you are outside. This is not
exactly common, but hey. Of course I also have a theory that not an
insignificant number of computer problems are caused by bit-flips from
cosmic ray induced muon showers, but I digress...

I have recently decided to blame solar flares & cosmic ray induced
muon showers whenever one of my customers asks why their PC is broken.

Stroller.

Old 02-22-2010, 11:42 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 22 February 2010 12:57:27 Stroller wrote:
> On 22 Feb 2010, at 07:54, daid kahl wrote:
> > As far as I know, solid state devices are much more susceptible to
> > solar flare damage, particularly if you are outside. This is not
> > exactly common, but hey. Of course I also have a theory that not an
> > insignificant number of computer problems are caused by bit-flips from
> > cosmic ray induced muon showers, but I digress...
>
> I have recently decided to blame solar flares & cosmic ray induced
> muon showers whenever one of my customers asks why their PC is broken.

Flavour of the moment here where I am:

High energy gamma rays from quasars at the edge of the visible known universe
produced when the universe was a mere 700 million years old.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-22-2010, 12:35 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:57:27 +0000, Stroller wrote:

> I have recently decided to blame solar flares & cosmic ray induced
> muon showers whenever one of my customers asks why their PC is broken.

We are coming out of a long period of minimal solar activity with
activity expected to hit a high peak in the next couple of years. It has
already been predicted that this will affect GPS accuracy.

So not only will you have a reason for the failure, you'll also have an
excuse for turning up late to fix it

--
Neil Bothwick

Hard work has a future payoff. Laziness pays off now.