Old 02-14-2010, 10:34 PM
CJoeB

Default Running xsane

Hi everyone,

I have purchased an HP C4795 Photosmart All-in-One printer, scanner and
copier. I have gotten the printer to work fine after installing the
unstable version of hplip. The copy mechanism works also. However, I
am having trouble with the scanner. I again have installed unstable
versions (i.e. ~x86) versions of sane-backends and xsane). If I run
xsane as root, the scanner is recognized. However, if I run xsane as a
normal user, the device is not recognized. I can't seem to figure out
what to change to rectify this - I've tried changing the owner and group
on the xsane executable, but this didn't work. The permissions for the
xsane executable seem fine. I have added myself to the "scanner" group,
but this doesn't seem to have any affect. Also, despite the fact that
the device can be set up wirelessly, I have not done this - I have the
unit connected to my computer via USB cable.

Any of you gurus have any ideas?

Regards,

Colleen

--

Registered Linux User #411143 with the Linux Counter, http://counter.li.org

Old 02-15-2010, 07:33 AM
"J. Roeleveld"

On Monday 15 February 2010 00:34:42 CJoeB wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have purchased an HP C4795 Photosmart All-in-One printer, scanner and
> copier. I have gotten the printer to work fine after installing the
> unstable version of hplip. The copy mechanism works also. However, I
> am having trouble with the scanner. I again have installed unstable
> versions (i.e. ~x86) versions of sane-backends and xsane). If I run
> xsane as root, the scanner is recognized. However, if I run xsane as a
> normal user, the device is not recognized. I can't seem to figure out
> what to change to rectify this - I've tried changing the owner and group
> on the xsane executable, but this didn't work. The permissions for the
> xsane executable seem fine. I have added myself to the "scanner" group,
> but this doesn't seem to have any affect. Also, despite the fact that
> the device can be set up wirelessly, I have not done this - I have the
> unit connected to my computer via USB cable.
>
> Any of you gurus have any ideas?

Hi Colleen,

I also have one of those All-In-One printers.
To get it to work, I added the "saned" user to the following groups:
- lp
- usb
- scanner

I'm not sure, but I think "usb" is sufficient for the scanner, but with these,
it works on my system.

--
Joost

Old 02-15-2010, 07:58 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 18:34:42 -0500, CJoeB wrote:

> I have purchased an HP C4795 Photosmart All-in-One printer, scanner and
> copier. I have gotten the printer to work fine after installing the
> unstable version of hplip. The copy mechanism works also. However, I
> am having trouble with the scanner. I again have installed unstable
> versions (i.e. ~x86) versions of sane-backends and xsane). If I run
> xsane as root, the scanner is recognized. However, if I run xsane as a
> normal user, the device is not recognized.

Your scanner's dev node has can only be read by root, the easiest way to
fix this is with a udev rule, as the node name changes each time you
connect the scanner. This rule works for me, I'm in the canner group,
just change the product and manufacturer strings to match

SYSFS{product}=="CanoScan", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Canon", GROUP:="scanner", MODE:="0660"

--
Neil Bothwick

When told the reason for Daylight Saving time the old Indian said...
"Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a
blanket And sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a longer blanket."

Old 02-17-2010, 12:20 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Monday 15 February 2010 08:58:03 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> When told the reason for Daylight [Savings Time] the old Indian
> said..."Only a white man would believe that you could cut a foot off
> the top of a blanket And sew it to the bottom of a blanket and have a
> longer blanket."

He was wrong, understandably. He should not have included all white men
in that set. Outside USA we have no illusions of saving time by
adjusting our clocks.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 02-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-02-17, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Monday 15 February 2010 08:58:03 Neil Bothwick wrote:

> He was wrong, understandably. He should not have included all
> white men in that set. Outside USA we have no illusions of
> saving time by adjusting our clocks.

Let's be fair about it. Here in the US, we don't have the
illusion of saving _time_. We have the illusion of saving
_energy_.

And just think of all of the geeks it employs everytime
somebody in DC thinks it's a good idea to futz with the
settings. I personally know of somebody who spent a couple
weeks developing, testing, committing, and pushing out a patch
for a commercial Unix whose name I won't mention.

--
Grant Edwards grante Yow! Is it NOUVELLE
at CUISINE when 3 olives are

Old 02-17-2010, 11:41 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 15:53:04 Grant Edwards wrote:

> Let's be fair about it. Here in the US, we don't have the
> illusion of saving _time_.

No, you miss the point. The name implies saving daylight, not time. Show
me anyone who can do that. (And I won't ask why Saving has to be
plural.)

More examples: what is the one thing that shock-absorbers don't do? What
does a condenser (on a carburettor) condense? What heat-transfer
mechanism does a car radiator use? (Hint: if it uses radiation, why does
it need a fan?)

This is now way off-topic. It is fun though.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 02-18-2010, 02:07 AM
Grant Edwards

On 2010-02-18, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:

> More examples: what is the one thing that shock-absorbers
> don't do? What does a condenser (on a carburettor) condense?

Never heard of a condenser on a carbuetor.

Google doesn't seem to know about it either. Are you referring
to the condenser (capacitor) that's located along with the
points in the distributor assembly?

Or is it something that goes by a different name here in the US?

> What heat-transfer mechanism does a car radiator use? (Hint:
> if it uses radiation, why does it need a fan?)

And "convection" ovens use a fan to circulate hot air instead
of the mechanism used by conventional ovens. What mechanism do
conventional, "non-convection" ovens use? You guessed it: convection.

--
Grant

Old 02-18-2010, 09:12 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Thursday 18 February 2010 00:41:32 Peter Humphrey wrote:

> What does a condenser (on a carburettor) condense?

s/carburettor/distributor/ of course. Silly slip.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:56 PM
"Arttu V."

On 2/18/10, Peter Humphrey <peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> No, you miss the point. The name implies saving daylight, not time. Show
> me anyone who can do that. (And I won't ask why Saving has to be
> plural.)

Riddle me this as well: what good does Daylight Savings do in, e.g.,
Scandinavian region countries, which have fair sized slabs of their
landmasses on the North side of the Arctic Circle?

I mean does somebody actually think that seeing Aurora Borealis in the
dark is a proper ersatz light source over sunlight? It's dark 24 hours
a day on the worst days, with only scanty lighting on the days before
and after those. One can turn the clocks upside down or replace the
hands with a 10 000 rpm fan, and it won't squeeze any more sunlight
into the sky due to basic physics.

> This is now way off-topic. It is fun though.

Nihilistic semantics say we're perfectly on topic for the thread (if
not for the list): running without/after sanity ...

--
Arttu V.