Old 01-08-2008, 11:37 PM
"Mark Knecht"

Default What's with this hald thing and why can't I rip CDs any more?

I went to rip a few CDs today. It used to work. It's always worked .
It's worked for years it worked.

Today it doesn't work....

First problem is apps don't see the CDs. Running sound-juicer in a
terminal mentioned hald might not be running. I look in rc-update and
find hald. I start it. sound-juicer works, sort of. It starts ripping,
eventually says it finished, but when I look at the directory when the
flac files are supposed to be I get maybe 2 out of 10. The rest are
all 0 bytes. No error messages at all.

How could I rip flac files by hand and get more info?

What is hald and when did it show up as necessary. I watched movies
using xine the other day and didn't need it. Is this a
Gnome/sound-juicer thing or something more global?

What's wrong with ripping?

Thanks,
Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 02:54 AM
"Naiani Rosa de Barros"

Hi!

Hald is, if I'm not wrong, the daemon for HAL, Hardware Abstraction
Layer, it's an interface used to ease communication between software
and hardware of your computer. It keeps info from your hardware so
it's easier to access/modify them at any time, including new devices
that you might connect.

http://wlug.org.nz/HAL

=)

Naiani

Old 01-09-2008, 02:56 AM
"Naiani Rosa de Barros"

Forgot to mention: about the problem with ripping CDs, and if it sort
of works when you start hald, I'd say you should try re-emerging it.
Maybe something got corrupted somehow, or is just outdated.

Good luck!

Old 01-09-2008, 03:24 AM
Dale

Naiani Rosa de Barros wrote:
> Forgot to mention: about the problem with ripping CDs, and if it sort
> of works when you start hald, I'd say you should try re-emerging it.
> Maybe something got corrupted somehow, or is just outdated.
>
> Good luck!

And if you are like me and don't reboot much, maybe restart hald and see
if it starts without error.

You may also want to check ivman and dbus, if you have them installed,
to see if something fishy is going on there as well.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-09-2008, 05:41 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 8, 2008 8:24 PM, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:
> Naiani Rosa de Barros wrote:
> > Forgot to mention: about the problem with ripping CDs, and if it sort
> > of works when you start hald, I'd say you should try re-emerging it.
> > Maybe something got corrupted somehow, or is just outdated.
> >
> > Good luck!
> >

> And if you are like me and don't reboot much, maybe restart hald and see
> if it starts without error.
>
> You may also want to check ivman and dbus, if you have them installed,
> to see if something fishy is going on there as well.
>
> Dale

Hi Dale,
Things here are still basically a disaster. I rebooted. No change.
sound-juicer still only rips the 1st six tracks and then skips the
last seven. Pretty much the same on every CD I've tried so far. No
messages in dmesg.

To some extent even more worrisome is that after rebooting and
logging in to Gnome I am now getting icons on my desktop for
partitions on my hard drive that aren't supposed to be mounted
according to fstab.

I don't see any dnus messages in dmesg. Maybe there's somewhere
else that those go?

I don't have ivman installed. Should I? I didn't have a clue that
Gentoo was going to apparently push some new hardware interface on us.
So far this seems like quite a mess since my system is now broken.

- Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 05:49 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:41:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> Things here are still basically a disaster. I rebooted. No change.
> sound-juicer still only rips the 1st six tracks and then skips the
> last seven. Pretty much the same on every CD I've tried so far. No
> messages in dmesg.

Have you tried a different ripper? This could be a problem with
sound-juicer, not hal/dbus.

--
Neil Bothwick

"Bother," said Pooh, as the pin fell out of the grenade.

Old 01-09-2008, 06:14 PM
Dale

Neil Bothwick wrote:

Things here are still basically a disaster. I rebooted. No change.
sound-juicer still only rips the 1st six tracks and then skips the
last seven. Pretty much the same on every CD I've tried so far. No
messages in dmesg.

Have you tried a different ripper? This could be a problem with
sound-juicer, not hal/dbus.

I'm not to familiar with sound-juicer myself, I use K3b to do my CD
stuff.* Like Neil said, you may want to try a different program or
maybe a different version.

Ivman is not required but I did have a problem with it once and had to
recompile it so it would play well with others.*

You may want to post the relevant parts of messages and/or dmesg and
see if Neil notices something out of whack.

Dale

:-)* :-)*

Old 01-09-2008, 07:03 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 9, 2008 10:49 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:41:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
> > Things here are still basically a disaster. I rebooted. No change.
> > sound-juicer still only rips the 1st six tracks and then skips the
> > last seven. Pretty much the same on every CD I've tried so far. No
> > messages in dmesg.
>
> Have you tried a different ripper? This could be a problem with
> sound-juicer, not hal/dbus.

I emerged grip but it's not seeing the CD at all. I tried Aqualung but
it didn't work either.

Seeing Dale's note I tried K3b, which I should have thought of before.
It worked for the CD that was already in the drive so that was a step
forward. When I inserted a new CD it got blocked by Gnome starting
Totem automatically. When I closed Totem my hand then K3b was able to
rip the second CD. I haven't listened to anything yet but at least the
files look about right.

So, with all of that I am guessing that Totem was somehow blocking
sound-juicer. Totem starting automatically when I insert a CD has
never happened before. Is that because I turned on hald? If so do I
really need hald or can I turn it off? Or maybe I need ivman to help
hald do it's work better?

Of course if there is some Gentoo page on how to run all this stuff
correctly that it where I should really start.

thanks,
Mark

Old 01-09-2008, 09:08 PM
"Naiani Rosa de Barros"

On Jan 9, 2008 5:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 10:49 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 9 Jan 2008 10:41:16 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >
> > > Things here are still basically a disaster. I rebooted. No change.
> > > sound-juicer still only rips the 1st six tracks and then skips the
> > > last seven. Pretty much the same on every CD I've tried so far. No
> > > messages in dmesg.
> >
> > Have you tried a different ripper? This could be a problem with
> > sound-juicer, not hal/dbus.
> >

> I emerged grip but it's not seeing the CD at all. I tried Aqualung but
> it didn't work either.
>
> Seeing Dale's note I tried K3b, which I should have thought of before.
> It worked for the CD that was already in the drive so that was a step
> forward. When I inserted a new CD it got blocked by Gnome starting
> Totem automatically. When I closed Totem my hand then K3b was able to
> rip the second CD. I haven't listened to anything yet but at least the
> files look about right.
>
> So, with all of that I am guessing that Totem was somehow blocking
> sound-juicer. Totem starting automatically when I insert a CD has
> never happened before. Is that because I turned on hald? If so do I
> really need hald or can I turn it off? Or maybe I need ivman to help
> hald do it's work better?

Probably. HAL + ivman does that. Configure automounting/recognizing devices.

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_ivman

> thanks,
>
> Mark

No problem. =)

Naiani

Old 01-09-2008, 09:34 PM
"Naiani Rosa de Barros"

On Jan 9, 2008 7:08 PM, Naiani Rosa de Barros <naiani.princess@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2008 5:03 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Have you tried a different ripper? This could be a problem with
> > > sound-juicer, not hal/dbus.
> > >

> > I emerged grip but it's not seeing the CD at all. I tried Aqualung but
> > it didn't work either.
> >
> > Seeing Dale's note I tried K3b, which I should have thought of before.
> > It worked for the CD that was already in the drive so that was a step
> > forward. When I inserted a new CD it got blocked by Gnome starting
> > Totem automatically. When I closed Totem my hand then K3b was able to
> > rip the second CD. I haven't listened to anything yet but at least the
> > files look about right.
> >
> > So, with all of that I am guessing that Totem was somehow blocking
> > sound-juicer. Totem starting automatically when I insert a CD has
> > never happened before. Is that because I turned on hald? If so do I
> > really need hald or can I turn it off? Or maybe I need ivman to help
> > hald do it's work better?
>
> Probably. HAL + ivman does that. Configure automounting/recognizing devices.

Now that I'm thinking, actually, I don't think HAL by itself would do
that. Maybe you already have all the stuff set up. But check out the
Gentoo Wiki page I said before.