Old 02-12-2010, 07:03 PM
Nikos Chantziaras

Default Ramifications of memtest86. Got it!

On 02/12/2010 09:25 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:

Hi, Dale,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 08:27:01AM -0600, Dale wrote:

Where the error is could depend on a single transistor that is maybe
not as sensitive as the others. It's sort of like a chain. It's only
as strong as its weakest link. It could be that whatever is going
wrong could be right on the edge of others not working either. The
one that is failing is just the first if it is a power problem.
That's where the power problem thought comes from. Have you had a
look here for well tested power supplies?

That said, it could be a lot of things. It could be a bad chip on the
mobo, a piece of dust in the wrong place or any number of other things.
It's finding it that is so much fun.

The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
just one RAM stick at a time.

The correct procedure is to test just one stick in at least two
different slots. This is to ensure that it's not the mainboard at fault
(like a faulty RAM slot.)

Old 02-12-2010, 10:27 PM
Dale

Hi, Dale,

Where the error is could depend on a single transistor that is maybe
not as sensitive as the others. It's sort of like a chain. It's only
as strong as its weakest link. It could be that whatever is going
wrong could be right on the edge of others not working either. The
one that is failing is just the first if it is a power problem.
That's where the power problem thought comes from. Have you had a
look here for well tested power supplies?

That said, it could be a lot of things. It could be a bad chip on the
mobo, a piece of dust in the wrong place or any number of other things.
It's finding it that is so much fun.

The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
just one RAM stick at a time. It turns out, one was duff, the other's
just fine. (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.) So
it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement for
the broken one.

Again, lots of things it could be. So far, everybody has replied with
good ideas to check. There are lots of them.

Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!

Dale

:-) :-)

There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
surprise at all.

Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
make it a cheap fix as well.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-13-2010, 04:43 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Hi, Dale,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:27:55PM -0600, Dale wrote:
> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:

> >The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
> >just one RAM stick at a time. It turns out, one was duff, the other's
> >just fine. (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.) So
> >it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement
> >for the broken one.

> >Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!

> >>Dale

> >>:-) :-)

> There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
> Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
> surprise at all.

Oh, don't be like that! You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
will soon be going. ;-)

> Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
> options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
> make it a cheap fix as well.

I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees. Its email support
gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours). The
proprietor said I needed to send back _both_ RAM sticks (since they have
a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
my machine remains working.

For all that, the cost of this PC was less than half that of its
predecessor, a 1.2 GHz Athlon machine from ~2001. With desktop PCs now
being so ridiculously cheap anyhow, it seems false economy to buy from a
lesser vendor.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 02-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 13 Februar 2010, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Dale,
>
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:27:55PM -0600, Dale wrote:
> > chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
> > >The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
> > >just one RAM stick at a time. It turns out, one was duff, the other's
> > >just fine. (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.) So
> > >it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement
> > >for the broken one.
> > >

> > >Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!

> > There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
> > Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
> > surprise at all.
>
> Oh, don't be like that! You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
> will soon be going. ;-)
>
> > Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
> > options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
> > make it a cheap fix as well.
>
> I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
> behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees. Its email support
> gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours). The
> proprietor said I needed to send back _both_ RAM sticks (since they have
> a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
> my machine remains working.
>
> For all that, the cost of this PC was less than half that of its
> predecessor, a 1.2 GHz Athlon machine from ~2001. With desktop PCs now
> being so ridiculously cheap anyhow, it seems false economy to buy from a
> lesser vendor.
>
> > Dale
> >
> > :-) :-)

nothing beats a local shop where the personal knows you and they just replace
your stuff when you tell them that it is defective...

I gladly pay a little premium for that.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:08 PM
Dale

Hi, Dale,

The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
just one RAM stick at a time. It turns out, one was duff, the other's
just fine. (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.) So
it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement
for the broken one.

Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!

Dale

:-) :-)

There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
surprise at all.

Oh, don't be like that! You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
will soon be going. ;-)

That's not what I meant at all. Consider the odds. There are millions
of little circuits on those chips, even a 0.0001% failure rate can mean
the chip is bad. They either all work or the chip doesn't work.

Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
make it a cheap fix as well.

I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees. Its email support
gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours). The
proprietor said I needed to send back _both_ RAM sticks (since they have
a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
my machine remains working.

For all that, the cost of this PC was less than half that of its
predecessor, a 1.2 GHz Athlon machine from ~2001. With desktop PCs now
being so ridiculously cheap anyhow, it seems false economy to buy from a
lesser vendor.

Dale

:-) :-)

I bought mine from newegg and they stand behind theirs too. Things is,
the person you buy them from doesn't decide if it is a bad one or not.
It's just a luck of the draw. I doubt there are many companies that
want to sell something that is broken. It's not good for business.

If you bought the memory sticks as a set, they do usually want them
returned as a set. That's normal. I have seen that many times.

Glad you got something working tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-13-2010, 11:13 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Dale wrote:
> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
> > Hi, Dale,
> >
> > On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 05:27:55PM -0600, Dale wrote:
> >> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:

> >> There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
> >> Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
> >> surprise at all.
> >
> > Oh, don't be like that! You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
> > will soon be going. ;-)
>
> That's not what I meant at all. Consider the odds. There are millions
> of little circuits on those chips, even a 0.0001% failure rate can mean
> the chip is bad. They either all work or the chip doesn't work.
>
> >> Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
> >> options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
> >> make it a cheap fix as well.
> >
> > I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
> > behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees. Its email support
> > gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours). The
> > proprietor said I needed to send back _both_ RAM sticks (since they have
> > a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
> > my machine remains working.
> >
> > For all that, the cost of this PC was less than half that of its
> > predecessor, a 1.2 GHz Athlon machine from ~2001. With desktop PCs now
> > being so ridiculously cheap anyhow, it seems false economy to buy from a
> > lesser vendor.
> >
> >> Dale
> >>
> >> :-) :-)
>
> I bought mine from newegg and they stand behind theirs too. Things is,
> the person you buy them from doesn't decide if it is a bad one or not.
> It's just a luck of the draw. I doubt there are many companies that
> want to sell something that is broken. It's not good for business.

no, but some shops just say 'ok, that is bad luck, here is a new set, try
these'. And some others let you wait or just don't believe you, demand the
output of certain test apps etc pp.

Some years ago a friend had a stick that would produce errors only in certain
scenarios (it was a muster dependent error). Most checkers back then did not
find it. Our favorite shop just exchanged it....

And that kind of service is a good reason to buy there.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:46 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 13 February 2010 19:43:47 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > There you go. Most likely one little transistor that went belly up.
> > Considering there are millions of those little devils on there, no
> > surprise at all.
>
> Oh, don't be like that! You're saying, like, another "little" transistor
> will soon be going. ;-)

Considering the enormous complexity of modern PC's, I'm always amazed that nay
of the bits and pieces inside them ever work at all

:-)

> > Glad you got it sorted out and that is better than a lot of other
> > options. Since it is new, I hope you have a good warranty that will
> > make it a cheap fix as well.
>
> I bought my PC components from a premium quality shop, the sort that
> behaves like a gentleman and honours its guarantees. Its email support
> gets back to you within an hour or so (in business hours). The
> proprietor said I needed to send back both RAM sticks (since they have
> a joint serial number), but he's sending me a replacement pair first, so
> my machine remains working.

Nice to see that decent responsible vendors still exist out their who do
TheRightThing(tm) for their customers, even the ones with little orders.

I get that level of service from Dell, but I think that's more because we're
ordering 1000+ servers a year all with extended 3-5 year warranty and Next Day
Corporate Service Contract

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com