FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-22-2010, 12:56 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default How should I clean up my broken system?

On Montag 22 Februar 2010, daid kahl wrote:
> >> > > > On a more serious note, conf-update automatically merges trivial
> >> > > > changes, so any configs you ran at the default, which is probably
> >> > > > the majority, won't be flaged at all.
> >> > >
> >> > > so does cfg-update....
> >> >
> >> > Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you - and
> >> > I give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and always
> >> > go back to conf-update. There's nothing specific wrong with it, I
> >> > just prefer (or am used to) conf-update.
> >> >
> >> > I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I
> >> > would welcome it with open arms though.
>
> Yay, thanks for the ideas. dispatch-conf was a welcome change from
> etc-update, so this must be the next step. And just in time too, I
> updated to ~x86 last week, and I left around the 11 config files that
> need more than just hand waving to deal with (looks like important
> changes, but I did modifications as well to those cases).
>
> >> You make me feel out of touch with Gentoo! Is dispatch-conf and
> >> etc-update that bad then?
> >
> > out of touch would be rolling your own config update tool, like me
> > It hasn't changed much since I started using Gentoo...
> >
> > --
> > Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>
>
> Sharing is caring! Can we try it? More importantly, would we want to?
>
> I'm wondering if some of these config manglers have configs
> themselves, or some place to keep track of the configs I want like red
> flagged to not get accidentially overwritten (sorry I didn't read the
> man pages yet because I didn't get too screwed without), because I
> want to keep track of the ones I edit other than some text file or my
> memory "oh yeah, vim I hated the auto-line wrapping...where's that
> backup from last week?"
>
> ~daid

well, cfg-update keeps a backup. It detects manual edits and try to resolve
conflicts resulting from that automatically. Which works surprisingly well. If
it can not resolve them itself, it opens a diff app you set in its config - like
kdiff3, sdiff, beediff... etc. You do your changes, save, quit, cfg-update does
the rest - and next time remembers what you did.
 
Old 02-22-2010, 04:06 PM
Harry Putnam
 
Default How should I clean up my broken system?

Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> writes:

> well, cfg-update keeps a backup. It detects manual edits and try to
> resolve conflicts resulting from that automatically. Which works
> surprisingly well. If

Volker gave me that same advice long ago, I've used cfg-update ever
since.

Its capable of dispatching meaningless file updates in the blink of an
eye, and offers several well known methods for resolving those that
need it.

I personally use vimdiff with it, but there are several other options.
Its just a good solid tool.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 06:29 AM
daid kahl
 
Default How should I clean up my broken system?

On 23 February 2010 02:06, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> writes:
>
>> well, cfg-update keeps a backup. It detects manual edits and try to
>> resolve conflicts resulting from that automatically. Which works
>> surprisingly well. If
>
> Volker gave me that same advice long ago, I've used cfg-update ever
> since.
>
> Its capable of dispatching meaningless file updates in the blink of an
> eye, and offers several well known methods for resolving those that
> need it.
>
> I personally use vimdiff with it, but there are several other options.
> Its just a good solid tool.
>

Better than my first days of gentoo when I just either manually
deleted the files or copied them to the new ones as portage
complained. I'd just search for ._ files in /etc.

Yeah, that sucked Then I was like "oh, etc-update, this is great."
Then I was like "dispatch-conf, thats greater!" So now that I've got
a lot of crap to clean out again...I emerged both of these guys. I'll
probably add some extra superlatives.

Hah!

~daid
 
Old 02-26-2010, 05:20 PM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default How should I clean up my broken system?

On Sunday 14 February 2010 11:32:12 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:03:40 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > On a more serious note, conf-update automatically merges trivial
> > > changes, so any configs you ran at the default, which is probably
> > > the majority, won't be flaged at all.
> >
> > so does cfg-update....
>
> Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you -
> and I give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and
> always go back to conf-update. There's nothing specific wrong with
> it, I just prefer (or am used to) conf-update.
>
> I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I
> would welcome it with open arms though.

I'm still using etc-update, which seems adequate except when squid is
upgraded, but I thought I'd try cfg-update. Problem though: it demands
dev-util/xxdiff which doesn't exist. What's a suitable substitute?

--
Rgds
Peter.
 
Old 02-26-2010, 05:47 PM
Alex Schuster
 
Default How should I clean up my broken system?

Peter Humphrey writes:

> I'm still using etc-update, which seems adequate except when squid is
> upgraded, but I thought I'd try cfg-update. Problem though: it demands
> dev-util/xxdiff which doesn't exist. What's a suitable substitute?

Whatever you like. Just edit the MERGETOOL definition in /etc/cfg-
update.conf:

# +----------+
# | MERGETOOL
#
+------------+-----------------------------------------------------------+
# |The recommended tool for merging is beediff but you can also use other|
# |tools if you don't like beediff. The Supported tools are listedbelow:|
# +----------+-----+--------------------------+--------------------------+
# | beediff | GUI | QT | |
# | kdiff3 | GUI | KDE (or Gnome with QT) | |
# | meld | GUI | Gnome (or KDE with GTK) | |
# | gtkdiff | GUI | Gnome (or KDE with GTK) | STAGE 3 not supported! |
# | gvimdiff | GUI | Gnome (or KDE with GTK) | STAGE 3 not supported! |
# | tkdiff | GUI | Gnome (or KDE with TK) | |
# | vimdiff | CLI | Systems without X | STAGE 3 not supported! |
# | sdiff | CLI | Systems without X | STAGE 3 not supported! |
# | imediff2 | CLI | Systems without X | STAGE 3 not supported! |
+----------+-----+--------------------------+----------------------------+
MERGE_TOOL = /usr/bin/kdiff3

Wonko
 
Old 02-27-2010, 12:02 AM
Peter Humphrey
 
Default How should I clean up my broken system?

On Friday 26 February 2010 18:47:40 Alex Schuster wrote:

> > What's a suitable substitute?
>
> Whatever you like. Just edit the MERGETOOL definition in /etc/cfg-
> update.conf:
>
> # +----------+
> # | MERGETOOL
> #
> +------------+-------------------------------------------------------
> ----+ # |The recommended tool for merging is beediff but you can also
> use other| # |tools if you don't like beediff. The Supported tools
> are listedbelow:| #
> +----------+-----+--------------------------+-----------------------
> ---+ # | beediff | GUI | QT |
> | # | kdiff3 | GUI | KDE (or Gnome with QT) |
> | # | meld | GUI | Gnome (or KDE with GTK) |
> | # | gtkdiff | GUI | Gnome (or KDE with GTK)
> | STAGE 3 not supported! | # | gvimdiff | GUI | Gnome (or KDE with
> GTK) | STAGE 3 not supported! | # | tkdiff | GUI | Gnome (or
> KDE with TK) | | # | vimdiff | CLI |
> Systems without X | STAGE 3 not supported! | # | sdiff |
> CLI | Systems without X | STAGE 3 not supported! | # |
> imediff2 | CLI | Systems without X | STAGE 3 not supported!
> |
> +----------+-----+--------------------------+-----------------------
> -----+ MERGE_TOOL = /usr/bin/kdiff3

OK. Thanks. I'll try kdiff3.

--
Rgds
Peter.
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:36 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org