Old 02-14-2010, 05:00 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default How should I clean up my broken system?

On Saturday 13 February 2010 19:51:05 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Thanks! In the end, I just used the gcc I had on the system anyway; it
> wasn't broken. I first did 'emerge -e gcc', which took an hour, then did
> 'emerge -e world', which took ~2 hours 30 mins.
>
> I was being a bit paranoid. The reason I "gave up" on the installation
> CD was I failed to find out how to start my LVM2 voluble logics, or
> whatever they're called.

Oh yes, I forgot about that. I have old LiveCDs around too that don't support
LVM. It can get bloody annoying when you forget and use it anyway. These days
I use RIPLinux on a small spare USB stick as my rescue system

> I'm now back on track, setting up my PC. Thanks!
>
> > The paranoid might want to emerge gcc itself on it's own first so that
> > rebuilding world is done with the same gcc version as what it will
> > become (gcc is not built first when you rebuild world, all sort of
> > toolchain tools and parsers are earlier in the list). Personally, I
> > don't do that - there is an actual chance that using an old compiler to
> > build a new compiler may lead to incompatibility issues, but the risk
> > is extremely small and rare, and it's never bitten me.
>
> There was that apocryphal tale of the origianl Unix hacker who hardwired
> a backdoor login into the system, and hacked cc to keep inserting the
> backdoor each time the system was built, and to keep this hack in cc each
> time cc was compiled. Whew!

That's not a myth either :-)

There was a story on /. about that very thing just the other day!

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-14-2010, 05:01 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 13 February 2010 22:43:39 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sat, 13 Feb 2010 09:28:57 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > > /etc/ is CONFIG_PROTECTed, so emerge -e world will do just what the OP
> > > wants, rebuild everything without touching the configs.
> > >
> > > Of course, a backup of /etc is always a handy thing to have around
> > > anyway,
> >
> > For this case, it's probably easier to just tar /etc/ and untar it back
> > later.
> >
> > The OP then doesn't have to deal with 600+ conf-update complaints
>
> Run conf-update and press a then d

But I'm a paranoid snarky old git and that doesn't work for me!

If I get 600 entries in conf-update I feel compelled to examine each one and
decide individually. Just in case....

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-14-2010, 08:34 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 08:01:50 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:

> > > The OP then doesn't have to deal with 600+ conf-update complaints
> >
> > Run conf-update and press a then d
>
> But I'm a paranoid snarky old git and that doesn't work for me!

But d rejects all the changes, leaving your own configs. To be paranoid
that you are trying to hack your own computer mean you must have MPD too,
and I'm not referring to the Music Player Daemon

> If I get 600 entries in conf-update I feel compelled to examine each
> one and decide individually. Just in case....

You may grow out of that, if you have time after reading all those
configs

On a more serious note, conf-update automatically merges trivial changes,
so any configs you ran at the default, which is probably the majority,
won't be flaged at all.

--
Neil Bothwick

Shotgun wedding: A case of wife or death.

Old 02-14-2010, 10:03 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Neil Bothwick wrote:

> > > Run conf-update and press a then d
> >
> > But I'm a paranoid snarky old git and that doesn't work for me!
>
> But d rejects all the changes, leaving your own configs. To be paranoid
> that you are trying to hack your own computer mean you must have MPD too,
> and I'm not referring to the Music Player Daemon
>
> > If I get 600 entries in conf-update I feel compelled to examine each
> > one and decide individually. Just in case....
>
> You may grow out of that, if you have time after reading all those
> configs
>
> On a more serious note, conf-update automatically merges trivial changes,
> so any configs you ran at the default, which is probably the majority,
> won't be flaged at all.

so does cfg-update....

Old 02-14-2010, 10:32 AM
Neil Bothwick

On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:03:40 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> > On a more serious note, conf-update automatically merges trivial
> > changes, so any configs you ran at the default, which is probably the
> > majority, won't be flaged at all.
>
> so does cfg-update....

Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you - and I
give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and always go back
to conf-update. There's nothing specific wrong with it, I just prefer (or
am used to) conf-update.

I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I would
welcome it with open arms though.

--
Neil Bothwick

The modem is the message.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Mick

On Sunday 14 February 2010 11:32:12 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Sun, 14 Feb 2010 12:03:40 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > On a more serious note, conf-update automatically merges trivial
> > > changes, so any configs you ran at the default, which is probably the
> > > majority, won't be flaged at all.
> >
> > so does cfg-update....
>
> Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you - and I
> give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and always go back
> to conf-update. There's nothing specific wrong with it, I just prefer (or
> am used to) conf-update.
>
> I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I would
> welcome it with open arms though.

You make me feel out of touch with Gentoo! Is dispatch-conf and etc-update
that bad then?
Mick

Old 02-20-2010, 11:20 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 20 Februar 2010, Mick wrote:

> > > so does cfg-update....
> >
> > Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you - and I
> > give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and always go back
> > to conf-update. There's nothing specific wrong with it, I just prefer (or
> > am used to) conf-update.
> >
> > I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I would
> > welcome it with open arms though.
>
> You make me feel out of touch with Gentoo! Is dispatch-conf and etc-update
> that bad then?

Not bad - not good enough.

Old 02-20-2010, 11:22 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Sat, 20 Feb 2010 12:08:05 +0000, Mick wrote:

> > I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I
> > would welcome it with open arms though.
>
> You make me feel out of touch with Gentoo! Is dispatch-conf and
> etc-update that bad then?

They're not bad in that they do the basic job. It's just that the
alternatives can be so much better.

--
Neil Bothwick

Secret hacker rule #11: hackers read manuals.

Old 02-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Iain Buchanan

On Sat, 2010-02-20 at 12:08 +0000, Mick wrote:

> > > so does cfg-update....
> >
> > Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you - and I
> > give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and always go back
> > to conf-update. There's nothing specific wrong with it, I just prefer (or
> > am used to) conf-update.
> >
> > I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I would
> > welcome it with open arms though.
>
> You make me feel out of touch with Gentoo! Is dispatch-conf and etc-update
> that bad then?

out of touch would be rolling your own config update tool, like me
It hasn't changed much since I started using Gentoo...

In any formula, constants (especially those obtained from handbooks)
are to be treated as variables.

Old 02-22-2010, 10:29 AM
daid kahl

>> > Every now and then, someone mentions cfg-update - usually you - and I
>> > give it another try, but I don't really get on with it and always go back
>> > to conf-update. There's nothing specific wrong with it, I just prefer (or
>> > am used to) conf-update.
>> >
>> > I expect that if I were still using etc-update or dispatch-conf I would
>> > welcome it with open arms though.

Yay, thanks for the ideas. dispatch-conf was a welcome change from
etc-update, so this must be the next step. And just in time too, I
updated to ~x86 last week, and I left around the 11 config files that
need more than just hand waving to deal with (looks like important
changes, but I did modifications as well to those cases).

>> You make me feel out of touch with Gentoo! *Is dispatch-conf and etc-update
>> that bad then?
>
> out of touch would be rolling your own config update tool, like me
> It hasn't changed much since I started using Gentoo...
>
> --
> Iain Buchanan <iaindb at netspace dot net dot au>

Sharing is caring! Can we try it? More importantly, would we want to?

I'm wondering if some of these config manglers have configs
themselves, or some place to keep track of the configs I want like red
flagged to not get accidentially overwritten (sorry I didn't read the
man pages yet because I didn't get too screwed without), because I
want to keep track of the ones I edit other than some text file or my
memory "oh yeah, vim I hated the auto-line wrapping...where's that
backup from last week?"

~daid