Old 02-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Default Ramifications of memtest86. Got it!

Hi, Dale,

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 08:27:01AM -0600, Dale wrote:

> Where the error is could depend on a single transistor that is maybe
> not as sensitive as the others. It's sort of like a chain. It's only
> as strong as its weakest link. It could be that whatever is going
> wrong could be right on the edge of others not working either. The
> one that is failing is just the first if it is a power problem.
> That's where the power problem thought comes from. Have you had a
> look here for well tested power supplies?

> That said, it could be a lot of things. It could be a bad chip on the
> mobo, a piece of dust in the wrong place or any number of other things.
> It's finding it that is so much fun.

The shop who sold me the components suggested running memtest86 with
just one RAM stick at a time. It turns out, one was duff, the other's
just fine. (It went ~20 minutes on memtest86 without any errors.) So
it looks like I'll be running on 2Gb only until I get a replacement for
the broken one.

> Again, lots of things it could be. So far, everybody has replied with
> good ideas to check. There are lots of them.

Many thanks to all who helped me track this one down!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).