Old 02-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

Default New Gentoo system has become unstable and unusable - help, please!

On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Alan,
>
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hi, Gentoo,
> > >
> > > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
> > >
> > > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
> > > the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging Openbox instead.
> > >
> > > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
> > > know there's a binary for this).
> >
> > everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
> > especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
>
> Yes, you're right. :-(
>
> When I run memtest86 from the gentoo boot disk, it signals millions of
> failures in b11 of 32 bit words.
>
> I'll try unplugging and replugging these.
>
> Thanks for the tip.
>
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

you can try upping the voltage of the ram by 0.05V. I had a stick that threw
errors unless I gave it a bit more. After that the system was stable and none
of the memtesting apps found any errors.

Old 02-12-2010, 03:35 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 12 Feb, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hi, Gentoo,
> >
> > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
>
> Just one more reason.
>
> Have you got more than 4 Gb RAM installed?
>
> If yes, you might have to reduce memory speed.
> Some CPUs (among them AMD Phenom) have difficulties
> at the specified RAM speed if more than 1 memory bank is
> installed.
> I have been burnt by that several times.
> Helmut.

no, not entirely true. There is a problem with Phenoms and DDR2 1066 when for
modules are installed. You can get that configuration stable with an high
quality board and some voltage tricks.

If you have problems at lower speed and 4banks, you have a crappy mainboard.
Maybe increasing voltages a bit (0.05 to 0.1V) will help you. It did for me
with one certain Asrock board.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:02 AM
walt

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Maybe increasing voltages a bit (0.05 to 0.1V) will help you. It did for me
> with one certain Asrock board.

This is the first I've heard of adjustable voltages. Where/how do you make
the adjustment?

Old 02-13-2010, 12:10 AM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

Maybe increasing voltages a bit (0.05 to 0.1V) will help you. It did for me
with one certain Asrock board.

This is the first I've heard of adjustable voltages. Where/how do you make
the adjustment?

Mine is in the BIOS.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-13-2010, 12:11 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Samstag 13 Februar 2010, walt wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Maybe increasing voltages a bit (0.05 to 0.1V) will help you. It did for
> > me with one certain Asrock board.
>
> This is the first I've heard of adjustable voltages. Where/how do you make
> the adjustment?

Bios