Old 02-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Lewis Handy

Default New Gentoo system has become unstable and unusable - help, please!

<snip>

> I hope you're not right here. *;-) *The hardware is spanking brand new;
> so new, in fact, that it's still gleaming.
>
> Are there any handy utility programs around to test RAM exhaustively?

Most live CD's these days will come with memtest86 as a boot option,
that would give your RAM a good workout and tell you how it looks.

It could be that the RAM itself is perfectly fine, but just not
working too well with your motherboard hardware, I have seen this many
times before where in one system the RAM is completely unusable, but
in a different system is perfectly fine.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:17 AM
Mark Knecht

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 12:54 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo,
>
> My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
>
> The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
> the xfce window manager. *I "solved" this by emerging Openbox instead.
>
> Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
> know there's a binary for this).
>
> Then, on somebody's advice (not fully understood), I did
>
> * *# emerge -e gcc
>
> , to try and get a consistent working gcc. *This crashed. *I repeated
> the invocation, and it crashed more quickly. *:-(
>
> At this point, I thought, just reload "everything" from the stage3, with
>
> * *# cd / ; bunzip2 /stage3-amd64-20100121.tar.gz
>
> , which didn't help either. *I emerged gentoolkit, to see if I could get
> some handle on the mess. *Then
>
> * *# revdep-rebuild -p
>
> threw a segfault.
>
> At this point, I'm feeling a bit sad. *My rough guess is that there's
> some conflict somewhere between 32-bit and 64-bit code, and some of my
> USE flags are inconsistent with some others, or the kernel, or something
> like that.
>
> One other thing I remember vaguely is that early on, some emerge told me
> I had to "revdep-rebuild" something. *I wasn't able to do this through
> not yet knowing what "revdep-rebuild" meant, and not having any file of
> that name on my system. *Could this be the cause?
>
> Finally, is there a way of reloading/rebuilding ALL the executables
> onto/on my system without discarding all my painfully wrought config
> files and without portage getting confused?
>
> Thanks in advance for the help!
>
> --
> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

+1 for memtest86.

Since it's new hardware possibly your CPU fan isn't well seated?
Failures while compiling sound like heat to me. Failures at random
times sound like heat, PSU and memory problems.

Hope tis helps,
Mark

Old 02-12-2010, 02:24 PM
Paul Hartman

On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 6:33 AM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 12 Feb, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> Hi, Gentoo,
>>
>> My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
>>

> Just one more reason.
>
> Have you got more than 4 Gb RAM installed?
>
> If yes, you might have to reduce memory speed.
> Some CPUs (among them AMD Phenom) have difficulties
> at the specified RAM speed if more than 1 memory bank is
> installed.
> I have been burnt by that several times.
> Helmut.

I had exactly the situation you described. 4 GB of RAM worked great at
800MHz but when I increased to 8 GB I had to lower speed to something
like 533 MHz otherwise system was very unstable. In my case Intel Core
2 Duo E6600. I contacted the RAM manufacturer and this was their
recommendation as well.