Old 02-12-2010, 07:50 AM
Alan McKinnon

Default New Gentoo system has become unstable and unusable - help, please!

On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> Hi, Gentoo,
>
> My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
>
> The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
> the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging Openbox instead.
>
> Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
> know there's a binary for this).

everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware, especially RAM
closely followed by PSU.

Swap them out with known good items and test thoroughly *before* doing
anything else.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-12-2010, 07:54 AM
Alan Mackenzie

[...]

Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 02-12-2010, 08:13 AM
William Kenworthy

I am (was) getting this as well on a new amd64 install (zotac ION n330)
- it appears there is a problem with certain glibc 32bit libraries -
there is a bug about it. Upgraded glibc and most things are now happy -
but I still cant build gcc.

BillK

On Fri, 2010-02-12 at 10:50 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > Hi, Gentoo,
> >
> > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
> >
> > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
> > the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging Openbox instead.
> >
> > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
> > know there's a binary for this).
>

> everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware, especially RAM
> closely followed by PSU.
>
> Swap them out with known good items and test thoroughly *before* doing
> anything else.
>

> > Then, on somebody's advice (not fully understood), I did
> >
> > # emerge -e gcc
> >
> > , to try and get a consistent working gcc. This crashed. I repeated
> > the invocation, and it crashed more quickly. :-(
> >
> > At this point, I thought, just reload "everything" from the stage3, with
> >
> > # cd / ; bunzip2 /stage3-amd64-20100121.tar.gz
> >
> > , which didn't help either. I emerged gentoolkit, to see if I could get
> > some handle on the mess. Then
> >
> > # revdep-rebuild -p
> >
> > threw a segfault.
> >
> > At this point, I'm feeling a bit sad. My rough guess is that there's
> > some conflict somewhere between 32-bit and 64-bit code, and some of my
> > USE flags are inconsistent with some others, or the kernel, or something
> > like that.
> >
> > One other thing I remember vaguely is that early on, some emerge told me
> > I had to "revdep-rebuild" something. I wasn't able to do this through
> > not yet knowing what "revdep-rebuild" meant, and not having any file of
> > that name on my system. Could this be the cause?
> >
> > Finally, is there a way of reloading/rebuilding ALL the executables
> > onto/on my system without discarding all my painfully wrought config
> > files and without portage getting confused?
> >
> > Thanks in advance for the help!

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 02-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 12 Feb, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
>> On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>> > Hi, Gentoo,
>
>> > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
>
>> > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst emerging
>> > the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging Openbox
>> > instead.
>
>> > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox (yes, I
>> > know there's a binary for this).
>

>> everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
>> especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
>
>> Swap them out with known good items and test thoroughly *before* doing
>> anything else.
>
> I hope you're not right here. ;-) The hardware is spanking brand new;
> so new, in fact, that it's still gleaming.
>
> Are there any handy utility programs around to test RAM exhaustively?

I have made good experience with sys-apps/memtester. If you have not
more than 4 Gb RAM, you can use the SystemRescueCD.
Otherwise the GRML64 RescueCD has a true 64 bit version of memtester.

I have made the experience that memtester finds errors more quickly than
memtest86+ .

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 02-12-2010, 08:57 AM
Daniel Wagener

On Fri, 12 Feb 2010 09:46:33 +0000
Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:

> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 10:50:46AM +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > On Friday 12 February 2010 10:54:53 Alan Mackenzie wrote:
> > > Hi, Gentoo,
>
> > > My new Gentoo box has become unusably unstable.
>
> > > The first sign was when the compiler threw a segfault whilst
> > > emerging the xfce window manager. I "solved" this by emerging
> > > Openbox instead.
>
> > > Then I got another compiler segfault whilst emerging firefox
> > > (yes, I know there's a binary for this).
>

> > everything you mention below is indicative of failing hardware,
> > especially RAM closely followed by PSU.
>
> > Swap them out with known good items and test thoroughly *before*
> > doing anything else.
>
> I hope you're not right here. ;-) The hardware is spanking brand
> new; so new, in fact, that it's still gleaming.
>
> Are there any handy utility programs around to test RAM exhaustively?
>
> [ .... ]
>
> > --
> > alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

you may wanna look at memtest86+, its in portage
http://www.memtest.org/

Old 02-12-2010, 09:05 AM
Roy Wright