Old 02-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Mark Knecht

Default Upside/downside to including config files in quickpkg?

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 February 2010 22:09:28 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> Can someone comment on why I do or do not want to include config files
>> when making quickpkg files?
>>
>> Seems like there is the issue of hand edits being saved which would be
>> a good reason to keep them. I'm not overly worried about someone
>> stealing them and getting access to settings, but I can see that might
>> be a good reason not to.
>>
>> If I don't save them and then after a crash want to use binary
>> packages to get a machine running quickly it seems like I'd want to
>> include everything I could.
>>
>> What would the more experienced user do for the single-user desktop type
>> user?
>

> The config of the package you quickpkg'ed likely works.
> emerge -k is most often used to revert your own mistakes, so you want the
> thing to work. Your latest configs are suspect, why insist they take priority?
> You can always rename them to <name>.bak if you think they might get nuked.
>
> Why do you care if someone steals your quickpkgs? Put them in a directory
> owned by root, they are then as safe as your stuff in /etc. To get to the
> tarballs, they must get to a place where they can just read the originals....

Thanks Alan. That confirms what I was thinking.

My comment about things getting stolen is that I might burn them to
DVD for safe keeping in which case anyone can walk off with the DVD.
I'm not overly worried about that and it's far and away less of an
issue than getting the machine back to a running state.

Cheers,
Mark

Old 02-11-2010, 08:32 PM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thursday 11 February 2010 22:37:00 Mark Knecht wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 12:24 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
> wrote:

>> > The config of the package you quickpkg'ed likely works.
>> > emerge -k is most often used to revert your own mistakes, so you want the
>> > thing to work. Your latest configs are suspect, why insist they take
>> > priority? You can always rename them to <name>.bak if you think they
>> > might get nuked.
>> >
>> > Why do you care if someone steals your quickpkgs? Put them in a directory
>> > owned by root, they are then as safe as your stuff in /etc. To get to the
>> > tarballs, they must get to a place where they can just read the
>> > originals....
>>
>> Thanks Alan. That confirms what I was thinking.
>>
>> My comment about things getting stolen is that I might burn them to
>> DVD for safe keeping in which case anyone can walk off with the DVD.
>> I'm not overly worried about that and it's far and away less of an
>> issue than getting the machine back to a running state.
>
> OK, I see.
>
> As long as you know which configs have password in them and take precautions,
> you should be OK.
>
> For the truly paranoid (and there will be someone who is validly so) another
> option is to store /etc in a remote SVN instance that is secured, and not
> store configs with the quickpkgs

Thanks. Like I said originally I'm not worried about it but at least
you understood why I asked.

One thing I haven't found so far is what to put in make.conf to get
the buildpkg feature to include the configs. It's easy at the command
line. Where's the documentation on how to actually use this the right
way automatically?

- Mark

Old 02-11-2010, 10:39 PM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Friday 12 February 2010 00:13:23 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
>> > One thing I haven't found so far is what to put in make.conf to get
>> > the buildpkg feature to include the configs. It's easy at the command
>> > line. Where's the documentation on how to actually use this the right
>> > way automatically?
>> >

>> > - Mark
>>
>> when you use buildpkg feature the packages contain the virgin unedited
>> configs *as they are installed by the package and not any edits done by
>> you.
>
> Just checking something:
>
> We are all aware of the difference between
>
> emerge --buildpkg
>
> and
>
> quickpkg
>
> right/
>
> --
> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Volker is. I am not sure I am and I'm not sure that Neil was talking
about quickpkg which is what I am using so far. The command

quickpkg --include-configs

says it includes the configs. That's what I thought we (you and I
Alan) were talking about.

On the other hand I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that the
FEATURES="buildpkg" (which is what I think Neil is speaking about)
gave me the same option but I now guess it doesn't.

If I need to use quickpkg to save the configs then I think I'll do
that being that as I simple-minded home user with no admin experience
I have no in-place rigorous methods for doing __any__ backups. I just
tar up directories once in awhile and deal with the problems that come
later. (If they come...when they come...they do come, don't they?) ;-)

- Mark

Old 02-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Dale

[...]

This is how I understand it. If you use buildpkg with emerge, you get
the original configs from the source tarball. If you use quickpkg, then
you get the config files YOU created. If I understand this correctly,
you can remember it this way as well. Doing it during the emerge gives
you what emerge produces. Doing it with quickpkg gives you what you
produced.

All that and I didn't confuse myself. So, I'm probably wrong in how I
understand it. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Dale wrote:
> chrome://messenger/locale/messengercompose/composeMsgs.properties:
> > On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 2:33 PM, Alan McKinnon<alan.mckinnon@gmail.com>
wrote:

> >> Just checking something:
> >>
> >> We are all aware of the difference between
> >>
> >> emerge --buildpkg
> >>
> >> and
> >>
> >> quickpkg
> >>
> >> right/
> >>
> >> --
> >> alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
> >
> > Volker is. I am not sure I am and I'm not sure that Neil was talking
> > about quickpkg which is what I am using so far. The command
> >
> > quickpkg --include-configs
> >
> > says it includes the configs. That's what I thought we (you and I
> > Alan) were talking about.
> >
> > On the other hand I presumed (apparently incorrectly) that the
> > FEATURES="buildpkg" (which is what I think Neil is speaking about)
> > gave me the same option but I now guess it doesn't.
> >
> > If I need to use quickpkg to save the configs then I think I'll do
> > that being that as I simple-minded home user with no admin experience
> > I have no in-place rigorous methods for doing __any__ backups. I just
> > tar up directories once in awhile and deal with the problems that come
> > later. (If they come...when they come...they do come, don't they?) ;-)
> >
> > - Mark
>
> This is how I understand it. If you use buildpkg with emerge, you get
> the original configs from the source tarball. If you use quickpkg, then
> you get the config files YOU created. If I understand this correctly,
> you can remember it this way as well. Doing it during the emerge gives
> you what emerge produces. Doing it with quickpkg gives you what you
> produced.
>
> All that and I didn't confuse myself. So, I'm probably wrong in how I
> understand it. lol
>
> Dale
>
> :-) :-)

no, this is entirely correct.

Old 02-12-2010, 12:11 AM
Mark Knecht

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
<volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Freitag 12 Februar 2010, Dale wrote:
<SNIP>

>> This is how I understand it. *If you use buildpkg with emerge, you get
>> the original configs from the source tarball. *If you use quickpkg, then
>> you get the config files YOU created. *If I understand this correctly,
>> you can remember it this way as well. *Doing it during the emerge gives
>> you what emerge produces. *Doing it with quickpkg gives you what you
>> produced.
>>
>> All that and I didn't confuse myself. *So, I'm probably wrong in how I
>> understand it. *lol
>>
>> Dale
>>
>> :-) *:-)
>
> no, this is entirely correct.

From what I've seen last night and today I do not think this is correct.

quickpkg =NAME

produces a binary package with NO config files included.

You have to use

quickpkg --include-configs =NAME

to get the configs, at least from what I can see from the messages it
produces when it runs.

There is another option to limit the configs to only the unedited ones.

- Mark

Old 02-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Dale

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
This is how I understand it. If you use buildpkg with emerge, you get
the original configs from the source tarball. If you use quickpkg, then
you get the config files YOU created. If I understand this correctly,
you can remember it this way as well. Doing it during the emerge gives
you what emerge produces. Doing it with quickpkg gives you what you
produced.

All that and I didn't confuse myself. So, I'm probably wrong in how I
understand it. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

no, this is entirely correct.

> From what I've seen last night and today I do not think this is correct.

quickpkg =NAME

produces a binary package with NO config files included.

You have to use

quickpkg --include-configs =NAME

to get the configs, at least from what I can see from the messages it
produces when it runs.

There is another option to limit the configs to only the unedited ones.

- Mark

You do have to add that option but that was already mentioned. I should
have added it for clarity tho.

Dale

:-) :-)