Old 02-11-2010, 04:27 PM
Hung Dang

Default in-memory database

Hi all,

I am looking for an open source in-memory database for data mining
purpose. I have tried to look into /usr/portage/dev-db/ and have not
found any in-memory package. Any suggestion?

*

Thanks in advance

Hung

Old 02-11-2010, 04:50 PM
Alexander

On Thursday 11 February 2010 20:27:15 Hung Dang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for an open source in-memory database for data mining purpose.
> I have tried to look into /usr/portage/dev-db/ and have not found any
> in-memory package. Any suggestion?
>
> Thanks in advance
> Hung

What kind of database are you looking for? There is several ways of in-memory
db: Berkley DB, native languages hash tables and etc

Old 02-11-2010, 05:28 PM
Hung Dang

Hi Alexander,*

Thanks a lot for your quick reply. I just start my project then I might
have to try some in-memory dbs and see which one is suitable for my
application.

Thanks

Hung

--
Hung Dang
New Mexico State University

Old 02-11-2010, 05:45 PM
Helmut Jarausch

On 11 Feb, Hung Dang wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am looking for an open source in-memory database for data mining purpose.
> I have tried to look into /usr/portage/dev-db/ and have not found any
> in-memory package. Any suggestion?

You might use dev-db/sqlite and put its files on a tmpfs directory.
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 02-11-2010, 06:55 PM
Joshua Murphy

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Helmut Jarausch
<jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de> wrote:
> On 11 Feb, Hung Dang wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I am looking for an open source in-memory database for data mining purpose.
>> I have tried to look into /usr/portage/dev-db/ and have not found any
>> in-memory package. Any suggestion?
>>

> You might use dev-db/sqlite and put its files on a tmpfs directory.
> Helmut.
>
> --
> Helmut Jarausch
>
> Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
> RWTH - Aachen University
> D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Or, even, just use SQLite's support for in-memory databases... a
little about that's here:
http://www.sqlite.org/cvstrac/wiki?p=InMemoryDatabase

--
Poison [BLX]
Joshua M. Murphy

Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM
Ognjen Bezanov

Helmut Jarausch wrote:

On 11 Feb, Hung Dang wrote:

Hi all,

I am looking for an open source in-memory database for data mining purpose.
I have tried to look into /usr/portage/dev-db/ and have not found any
in-memory package. Any suggestion?

You might use dev-db/sqlite and put its files on a tmpfs directory.
Helmut.

SQLITE supports holding a database in memory. I never did it in python,
but in PHP if you put "memory" in the connect string rather than a
filename, the database will reside solely in RAM.

As this is a sqlite feature rather than a PHP feature, it should work
under python as well (but I've never done it, so I don't know the syntax).

Ognjen.

Old 02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Doug O'Neal

I am looking for an open source in-memory database for data mining
purpose. I have tried to look into /usr/portage/dev-db/ and have not
found any in-memory package. Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance

Hung

mysql has a `memory' table engine.

Doug