Old 02-14-2010, 05:47 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Default Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> Another service?

Yes, a service that will be started only on-demand.

> Great - but then shut up about dbus.

Who the frak are you to tell me shut up ?!

cu

cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666

Old 02-14-2010, 05:48 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> phonon: because phonon is part of qt? And qt is more than
> just a toolkit?

What is it then ? An own OS ? ;-o

Old 02-14-2010, 06:09 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > phonon: because phonon is part of qt? And qt is more than
> > just a toolkit?
>
> What is it then ? An own OS ? ;-o

are you insisting going down the stupid road?

Old 02-14-2010, 06:11 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > Another service?
>
> Yes, a service that will be started only on-demand.

so I have to wait for the service to start first? Sounds even crappier.

> > Great - but then shut up about dbus.
>
> Who the frak are you to tell me shut up ?!

attacking dbus or nepomuk and then proposing a 'small service' - sounds really
clever.

Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Mick

On Sunday 14 February 2010 12:40:59 Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sunday 14 February 2010 13:02:48 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > I highly recommend drivers to gain the skill of driving a vehicle
> > > crash-style without a clutch. Comes in useful sometimes.
> > >
> > > :-)
> >
> > the point was not stick but unsyncronized
>
> I know. I just felt like tossing sounding in that sounded awfully clever
> :-)

I also like manual gearboxes and for some years I was driving an old Series
IIA Land Rover which had straight cut gears on first and second and it whined
when driven at any speed. If you didn't double declutch to go from 2nd to 1st
and occasionally from 3rd to 2nd you would eventually end up with a box-full
of gears and no forward drive!

I also happen to own a couple of old PCs which I try to keep lean and I don't
mind the odd double declutching to change gears. Now, I understand the
development philosophy of KDE4 since this was very well explained, but that
does not stop me wishing that the developers were a bit more modular in their
approach. This is because I would like to use a few KDE apps, but do not want
to have to download and install a load of ever increasing dependencies. I am
after a pick 'n mix from the sweet shop, rather than being 'forced' to have
one of each.

However, the point has been well made by many. KDE4 is not KDE3.x and with
KDE4 you get the full enchilada because that's what the developers have
produced. Since I do not have the ability (or time) to fork KDE4 into my own
flavour I will very much have to make do and be grateful with what developers
care to offer. As I progressively upgrade my hardware all this aforementioned
'bloat' will no doubt be less of a concern, but as things are maturing in the
Linux land my old laptop has been getting slower and slower over the years
when running X. I can blame this on Xorg, but the applications themselves are
getting <aheam> heavier somewhat too.

I wonder if there is enough of a user requirement here for some of us to knock
up a few wiki pages of how to build a slimmer gentoo, choices of lightweight
WMs, desktop apps of choice, etc.
Mick

Old 02-16-2010, 10:31 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 17 February 2010 01:21:22 Mick wrote:
> However, the point has been well made by many. KDE4 is not KDE3.x and
> with KDE4 you get the full enchilada because that's what the developers
> have produced. Since I do not have the ability (or time) to fork KDE4
> into my own flavour I will very much have to make do and be grateful with
> what developers care to offer. As I progressively upgrade my hardware all
> this aforementioned 'bloat' will no doubt be less of a concern, but as
> things are maturing in the Linux land my old laptop has been getting
> slower and slower over the years when running X. I can blame this on
> Xorg, but the applications themselves are getting <aheam> heavier somewhat
> too.
>
> I wonder if there is enough of a user requirement here for some of us to
> knock up a few wiki pages of how to build a slimmer gentoo, choices of
> lightweight WMs, desktop apps of choice, etc.

The "gentoo wiki" (I can never remember the URL - it's the user maintained
one) already has a great many such pages. In particular lxde and xfce4 fly on
older hardware and is well received by and large by people wanting lean and
mean desktops. The various *box WMs also had decent writeups on getting them
running last time I looked.

A few eyeballs on those pages and updating them if necessary would not go
amiss. Many people would like to have slimmer alternatives to the usual
monstrous culprits: firefox, thunderbird, openoffice, evolution.

KDE4 does not suit everyone (neither are Ferraris and Toyotas), so while it is
important to understand what KDE4 is and what the limits are, and not try to
make it something other than what it is, there is definitely room for systems
completely devoid of anything from KDE and/or Gnome.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Mittwoch 17 Februar 2010, Mick wrote:

> > > the point was not stick but unsyncronized
> >
> > I know. I just felt like tossing sounding in that sounded awfully clever
> >
> > :-)
>
> I also like manual gearboxes and for some years I was driving an old Series
> IIA Land Rover which had straight cut gears on first and second and it
> whined when driven at any speed. If you didn't double declutch to go from
> 2nd to 1st and occasionally from 3rd to 2nd you would eventually end up
> with a box-full of gears and no forward drive!
>
> I also happen to own a couple of old PCs which I try to keep lean and I
> don't mind the odd double declutching to change gears. Now, I understand
> the development philosophy of KDE4 since this was very well explained, but
> that does not stop me wishing that the developers were a bit more modular
> in their approach. This is because I would like to use a few KDE apps,
> but do not want to have to download and install a load of ever increasing
> dependencies. I am after a pick 'n mix from the sweet shop, rather than
> being 'forced' to have one of each.
>
> However, the point has been well made by many. KDE4 is not KDE3.x and with
> KDE4 you get the full enchilada because that's what the developers have
> produced. Since I do not have the ability (or time) to fork KDE4 into my
> own flavour I will very much have to make do and be grateful with what
> developers care to offer. As I progressively upgrade my hardware all this
> aforementioned 'bloat' will no doubt be less of a concern, but as things
> are maturing in the Linux land my old laptop has been getting slower and
> slower over the years when running X. I can blame this on Xorg, but the
> applications themselves are getting <aheam> heavier somewhat too.
>
> I wonder if there is enough of a user requirement here for some of us to
> knock up a few wiki pages of how to build a slimmer gentoo, choices of
> lightweight WMs, desktop apps of choice, etc.

you want dependency nightmare?

openoffice depends on libwpd
libwpd depends on libgsf
libgsf pulls gconf in.

I don't need wordperfect, I don't want gnome. No way to get rid of that crap.

Even basic libs are pulling in tons of gnome crap today. Why? KDE does not
infest low level stuff. If you don't want KDE stuff, you don't have to install
it. But thanks to some $$%&$@& even low level libs and apps pull in that
shit today.
If freedesktop wouldn't be that sick joke it is, such behaviour wouldn't be.

Old 02-17-2010, 04:08 PM
BRM

> I also happen to own a couple of old PCs which I try to keep lean and I don't
> mind the odd double declutching to change gears. Now, I understand the
> development philosophy of KDE4 since this was very well explained, but that
> does not stop me wishing that the developers were a bit more modular in their
> approach. This is because I would like to use a few KDE apps, but do not want
> to have to download and install a load of ever increasing dependencies. I am
> after a pick 'n mix from the sweet shop, rather than being 'forced' to have
> one of each.

All I can say is try submitting a patch to the KDE folk.
They're not setting out to support that kind of environment, but you never know what kinds of patches they'll take.

They are looking at low-end systems and scalability (read asiego's blog for info) - from phones to netbooks to laptops/desktops to servers.

So if you want to run KDE4 on those lean+mean systems, check with them - there's probably a branch of KDE4 you can use.

Just 2 cents.

Ben

Old 02-17-2010, 04:47 PM
pk

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> openoffice depends on libwpd
> libwpd depends on libgsf
> libgsf pulls gconf in.

Hm. I actually have OO (non-binary version) installed althoughI dislike
bloat... However, I don't have gconf installed (USE: -gnome, globally in
make.conf). I run stable so that, of course, may be different for ~arch
or something...

> Even basic libs are pulling in tons of gnome crap today. Why? KDE does not
> infest low level stuff. If you don't want KDE stuff, you don't have to install
> it. But thanks to some $$%&$@& even low level libs and apps pull in that
> shit today.

Well, try to pull in K3b and you'll also get the "kitchen & the sink"
with _mandatory_ USE-flag 'accessibility' amongst other things. I had
K3b working fine before KDE4 with minimal KDE support libs. So I gave
K3b up. Oh, well, progress I guess... :-/

Best regards / MfG

Peter K

Old 02-17-2010, 05:22 PM
Dale

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

[...]

What did you use in place of k3b? Is it a GUI or command line?

Thanks,

Dale

:-) :-)