Old 02-13-2010, 02:42 PM
Dale

Default Has semantic-desktop really become compulsatory for kmail?

On Samstag 13 Februar 2010, Walter Dnes wrote:

#except that dsbus is not a KDE application. Just grep to portage tree for

apps that use dbus.
The result might be a bit shocking.

Btw, do you have a car? But certainly you drive stick. Unsyncronized. Because
everything else is 'bloat'. And your tv has no way to find channels. You do it
manually - with a screwdriver, I am sure.

Now that was funny. I had a TV like that many many years ago. It was
color but just barely. lol

Dale

:-) :-)

P. S. I also drive a stick. I don't like the repair rates or costs on
automatic transmissions.

Old 02-13-2010, 05:54 PM
Stroller

Btw, do you have a car? But certainly you drive stick.
Unsyncronized. Because

everything else is 'bloat'. ...

P. S. I also drive a stick. I don't like the repair rates or costs
on automatic transmissions.

Except your manual gearbox probably has a synchronised (synchromesh?)
transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Unsynchronized_transmission

Stroller.

Old 02-13-2010, 11:10 PM
Dale

Btw, do you have a car? But certainly you drive stick.
Unsyncronized. Because

everything else is 'bloat'. ...

P. S. I also drive a stick. I don't like the repair rates or costs
on automatic transmissions.

Except your manual gearbox probably has a synchronised (synchromesh?)
transmission.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manual_transmission#Unsynchronized_transmission

Stroller.

It may at that. I dunno. It is a little hard headed when it is cold
outside tho. It takes a bit of effort to hit those gears just right so
that they mesh together. So, it may be synced but it doesn't always act
like it.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 02-14-2010, 04:55 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Saturday 13 February 2010 14:07:05 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > I agree with the concept that people who don't want KDE dependancies,
> >
> > e.g. dbus, shouldn't use KDE apps. Therefore, I avoid amarok, kaffeine,
> > kplayer, etc. What got me started in this thread was the fact that what
> > had been a formerly-standalone media player (audacious), now pretty much
> > demands dbus. dbus would be "bundled in" to my "basic service", i.e.
> > ICEWM.
>
> #except that dsbus is not a KDE application. Just grep to portage tree for
> apps that use dbus.
> The result might be a bit shocking.
>
> Btw, do you have a car? But certainly you drive stick. Unsyncronized.

Oy! What are you trying to say?

All my cars are stick. Down here in deepest darkest Africa you pay a premium
for auto so no-one in their right mind buys them except old ladies and trendy
hippy naffs. And we need a clutch to get the car out of the potholes that
adorn the streets.

The bikes are all crash boxes because all bikes are like that (except Vespas
and Chinese scooters, but I don't have any of those). On the track the clutch
is mostly pointless once you're moving.

I highly recommend drivers to gain the skill of driving a vehicle crash-style
without a clutch. Comes in useful sometimes.

:-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-14-2010, 10:02 AM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Saturday 13 February 2010 14:07:05 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > > I agree with the concept that people who don't want KDE dependancies,
> > >
> > > e.g. dbus, shouldn't use KDE apps. Therefore, I avoid amarok,
> > > kaffeine, kplayer, etc. What got me started in this thread was the
> > > fact that what had been a formerly-standalone media player
> > > (audacious), now pretty much demands dbus. dbus would be "bundled in"
> > > to my "basic service", i.e. ICEWM.
> >
> > #except that dsbus is not a KDE application. Just grep to portage tree
> > for apps that use dbus.
> > The result might be a bit shocking.
> >
> > Btw, do you have a car? But certainly you drive stick. Unsyncronized.
>
> Oy! What are you trying to say?
>
> All my cars are stick. Down here in deepest darkest Africa you pay a
> premium for auto so no-one in their right mind buys them except old ladies
> and trendy hippy naffs. And we need a clutch to get the car out of the
> potholes that adorn the streets.
>
> The bikes are all crash boxes because all bikes are like that (except
> Vespas and Chinese scooters, but I don't have any of those). On the track
> the clutch is mostly pointless once you're moving.
>
> I highly recommend drivers to gain the skill of driving a vehicle
> crash-style without a clutch. Comes in useful sometimes.
>
> :-)

the point was not stick but unsyncronized

Old 02-14-2010, 11:40 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Sunday 14 February 2010 13:02:48 Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > I highly recommend drivers to gain the skill of driving a vehicle
> > crash-style without a clutch. Comes in useful sometimes.
> >

> > :-)
>
> the point was not stick but unsyncronized

I know. I just felt like tossing sounding in that sounded awfully clever :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-14-2010, 02:17 PM
Enrico Weigelt

Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

> KDE apps use PHONON, so they don't have to deal with the underlying sound
> system.
> KDE apps use SOLID, so they don't need to care about hardware, hot plugin,
> etc.
> KDE apps use dbus so they can share code and easily communicate.

One thing I never understood about dbus is why does an IPC deamon
depend on X ?
And to phonon, why does an audio api depend not just on X, but also Qt ?

cu

cellphone: +49 174 7066481 email: info@metux.de skype: nekrad666

Old 02-14-2010, 02:22 PM
Enrico Weigelt

BRM wrote:

> It does not exist so that Kmail can index all the files on the
> system but for the opposite - so that Kmail can participate in
> the search by allowing the system to be able to search _its_ data.

Just to let me get the point right: kmail provides some kind of
search/date integration driver into the semantic-desktop framework ?

Why does this have to happen in a MUA ? Why not in an separate
service ?

Old 02-14-2010, 04:10 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> BRM wrote:
> > It does not exist so that Kmail can index all the files on the
> > system but for the opposite - so that Kmail can participate in
> > the search by allowing the system to be able to search _its_ data.
>
> Just to let me get the point right: kmail provides some kind of
> search/date integration driver into the semantic-desktop framework ?
>
> Why does this have to happen in a MUA ? Why not in an separate
> service ?

kmail provides the HOOKS. Also, we had enough people complaining about bloat
just because of dbus. Another service? Great - but then shut up about dbus.

Old 02-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann

On Sonntag 14 Februar 2010, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
> Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
> > KDE apps use PHONON, so they don't have to deal with the underlying sound
> > system.
> > KDE apps use SOLID, so they don't need to care about hardware, hot
> > plugin, etc.
> > KDE apps use dbus so they can share code and easily communicate.
>
> One thing I never understood about dbus is why does an IPC deamon
> depend on X ?
> And to phonon, why does an audio api depend not just on X, but also Qt ?
>

> cu

dbus:
luckily X is not a mandatory dependendcy for dbus.

phonon: because phonon is part of qt? And qt is more than just a toolkit?