FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Gentoo > Gentoo User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:30:19 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> I seem to have them both installed with only my old version of MYthTV
> requiring qt-3.3.8

That's easy then, switch to MythTV 0.22, it's much better


--
Neil Bothwick

I do not like this dumb machine
I really ought to sell it.
It never does just what I want
But only what I tell it.
 
Old 02-10-2010, 05:46 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 9:33 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:59:16 +0000, Stroller wrote:
> >> The message posted to Gentoo-dev suggests that Qt3 is going away right
> >> about NOW, but this doesn't seem to add up to what I'm seeing.
> >
> > The message says it will be masked on Feb 21st and removed on March 21st.
> > So you have eleven days to add it to package.unmask and nearly six weeks
> > before you need to add the kde-sunset overlay. That's assuming the
> > ebuilds that depend on QT3 haven't been updated to wiork with QT4, which
> > is highly likely as that would require upstream changes for most of them
> > too.
> >
> > It's a minor inconvenience, but they are giving us a decent warning.
> >
> >
> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
>
> So am I at any great risk doing an emerge -C qt-3.3 and then expecting
> revdep-rebuild to fix up mythtv-0.21 with qt-4 using whatever it has
> ffor qt3-support?
>
> I'm __really__ not ready to upgrade my whole MythTV setup 0.22 if 0.21
> requires qt-3 and the qt3 support stuff in qt4 doesn't work. That
> would be very painful for me even given 6 weeks.
>
> - Mark

quickpkg all your crap

emerge -C qt-3
emerge -C your mythtv stuff
emerge qt4 set
emerge current mythtv stuff

it works? congratulation!
it doesn't? just unmerge the new stuff and then emerge the binpkgs quickpkg
created. Which takes maybe 5 minutes.
 
Old 02-10-2010, 06:40 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Mittwoch 10 Februar 2010, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 09:30:19 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:
> >> I seem to have them both installed with only my old version of MYthTV
> >> requiring qt-3.3.8
> >
> > That's easy then, switch to MythTV 0.22, it's much better
> >
> >
> > --
> > Neil Bothwick
>
> I don't care at all that it's much better. I care that what I have
> works and the family doesn't bother me.
>
> My Myth server is PowerPC based and so everytime I switch there's
> always things to relearn in terms of updating kernel and risks that
> others don't have.
>
> And I cannot update mythfrontend on my desktop machine without
> updating EVERY machine on the network to 0.22, so that's 2 desktops, 2
> dedicated machines hooked to TVs and the server. That's a lot of work
> just because someone decides they don't want to support it anymore.
>
> On the other hand, if the qt4 qt3-support works then I don't update
> from 0.21 at all.
>
> Again, I cannot see the 0.22 gives me anything I care about but
> there's no way to know until I commit to making the change.
>
> Cheers,
> Mark

if everything works, why are you even bothering with updates? Why do you care
at all that qt3 is going away?

but as I told you, the solution is quickpkg.

And for quickly deploying packages:
buidpkg
BINHOST.

have a look at man emerge, man make.conf
 
Old 02-10-2010, 06:47 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 10:20:09 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> So am I at any great risk doing an emerge -C qt-3.3 and then expecting
> revdep-rebuild to fix up mythtv-0.21 with qt-4 using whatever it has
> ffor qt3-support?
>
> I'm __really__ not ready to upgrade my whole MythTV setup 0.22 if 0.21
> requires qt-3 and the qt3 support stuff in qt4 doesn't work. That
> would be very painful for me even given 6 weeks.

QT3 and QT4 are different, MythTV 0.21 needs QT3, 0.22 needs QT4. One
good thing about this is that QT4 uses split ebuilds, so you need install
much less of Qt for a Myth backend.

Upgrading from 0.21 to 0.22 was painless AFAIR. I made a backup of the
database but didn't need. You do need to upgrade all backends and
frontends at the same time, but then it's just a matter of restarting
them and you're OK. I did "emerge --onlydeps mythtv && emerge -B mythtv"
first so that I could then run emerge -k mythtv on the server to minimise
the time it was down.


--
Neil Bothwick

... "I just forgot to increment the counter," Tom said, nonplussed.
 
Old 02-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:19:37 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> And I cannot update mythfrontend on my desktop machine without
> updating EVERY machine on the network to 0.22, so that's 2 desktops, 2
> dedicated machines hooked to TVs and the server. That's a lot of work
> just because someone decides they don't want to support it anymore.

I doubt MythTV 0.21 is supported any more, so it's a bit late to be
worrying about using unsupported software.

Personally, I'm pleased they are no longer spending time on EOL software
and devoting it to the current set. By building binary packages, the
downtime is minimal and if you use the same themes as before (I don't
like the new 0.22 default) there's little relearning for your family.


--
Neil Bothwick

In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird.
Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
 
Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 PM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 19:22:01 BRM wrote:
> ----- Original Message ----
>
> > From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@googlemail.com>
> > To: gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org
> > Sent: Wed, February 10, 2010 12:18:59 PM
> > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only
> > ~x86)??? ALSO:
> > from the qt-4.5.3 ebuild:
> >
> > KEYWORDS="~alpha amd64 arm hppa ~ia64 ~mips ppc ppc64 -sparc x86"
> >
> > when was the last time you sync'ed?
>
> http://gentoo-portage.com/x11-libs/qt
>
> shows the same thing - qt-4.5.3 is hard masked.

as already mentioned *twice* in the sub-thread you are responding to, qt is
dead. It is a meta ebuild that should not even exist.

The qt- subpackages are very much alive and stable:

$ eix qt-gui
[i] x11-libs/qt-gui
Available versions: (4) 4.5.3-r2 (~)4.6.1 **4.6.9999-r1[1] **4.9999-
r1[1]
{+accessibility aqua cups dbus debug exceptions +glib gtk +kde-qt mng
nas nis pch qt3support raster (+)stable-branch tiff xinerama}
Installed versions: 4.6.1(4)(23:21:45 09/02/10)(accessibility cups dbus
glib gtk mng pch qt3support tiff xinerama -aqua -debug -nas -nis -raster)
Homepage: http://qt.nokia.com/
Description: The GUI module for the Qt toolkit

You do not need to emerge qt. Just emerge the stuff that uses qt and let
portage pick the bits needed.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 
Old 02-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Stroller
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On 10 Feb 2010, at 20:27, Alan McKinnon wrote:

...
The qt- subpackages are very much alive and stable:

$ eix qt-gui
[i] x11-libs/qt-gui
Available versions: (4) 4.5.3-r2 (~)4.6.1 **4.6.9999-r1[1]
**4.9999-

r1[1]
{+accessibility aqua cups dbus debug exceptions +glib gtk
+kde-qt mng

nas nis pch qt3support raster (+)stable-branch tiff xinerama}
Installed versions: 4.6.1(4)(23:21:45 09/02/10)(accessibility
cups dbus
glib gtk mng pch qt3support tiff xinerama -aqua -debug -nas -nis -
raster)

Homepage: http://qt.nokia.com/
Description: The GUI module for the Qt toolkit

You do not need to emerge qt. Just emerge the stuff that uses qt and
let

portage pick the bits needed.


I wasn't aware that x11-libs/qt-gui was the "new name" for x11-libs/
qt. Especially since I had both installed. However I have now
unmerrged x11-libs/qt and `emerge -pvu world` does not show me short
of anything, so I thank you for your help.


Stroller.
 
Old 02-10-2010, 11:24 PM
Volker Armin Hemmann
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Donnerstag 11 Februar 2010, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 11:40 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
> <volkerarmin@googlemail.com> wrote:
> <SNIP>
>
> >> Again, I cannot see the 0.22 gives me anything I care about but
> >> there's no way to know until I commit to making the change.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Mark
> >
> > if everything works, why are you even bothering with updates? Why do you
> > care at all that qt3 is going away?
> >
> > but as I told you, the solution is quickpkg.
> >
> > And for quickly deploying packages:
> > buidpkg
> > BINHOST.
> >
> > have a look at man emerge, man make.conf
>
> Volker,
> Thanks. I've not used quickpkg before but it seems like a very good
> short term solution.
>
> If I understand correctly I'd do something more or less like this?
>
> 1) quickpkg =qt-3.3.8xxxxxxx This creates the binary package and
> stores it in /usr/portage/package. I've done this step and the package
> is there.
>
> 2) emerge -C =qt-3.3.8xxxxx to remove the original. Easy when I do it.
>
> 3) emerge -pvg =qt-3.3.8b-r2 to get it to use the quickpkg version

no.

you are using -k not -g.

>
> This all seems to work but it complains a bit about PORTAGE_BINHOST
> not being set. As best I can tell that's only for using another
> machine to get the binary? Is that true? Is seems from these commands
> that it's finding the one I just made. Or is there a format for doing
> this and pointing at a local directory?
>
> firefly ~ # emerge -pvg =x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies !!! PORTAGE_BINHOST unset, but use is requested.
> ... done!
> [binary R ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2 USE="cups ipv6 mysql opengl
> -debug -doc -examples (-firebird) -immqt -immqt-bc -nas -nis -odbc
> -postgres -sqlite -xinerama"
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall, 1 binary), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> firefly ~ # emerge -pv =x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2
>
> These are the packages that would be merged, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2 USE="cups ipv6 mysql opengl
> -debug -doc -examples (-firebird) -immqt -immqt-bc -nas -nis -odbc
> -postgres -sqlite -xinerama" 0 kB
>
> Total: 1 package (1 reinstall), Size of downloads: 0 kB
> firefly ~ #

you get that message because you are telling portage to get that package from
BINHOST. That is great if you have one machine building packages and the rest
of your machines pulling them from the server and install them.

What you want/should/must use is -k = usepkg or -K = usepkgonly

Also, it is a wise decision to have the buildpkg option set in make.conf, if
you have a couple of gb to spare. That helps a lot in cases of bad updates,
filesystem damage, or the need to go back a version quickly for whatever
reasons.
 
Old 02-11-2010, 12:21 AM
Neil Bothwick
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:34:06 -0800, Mark Knecht wrote:

> emerge --usepkg =x11-libs/qt-3.3.8b-r2
>
> No errors or warnings.
>
> Nice! Now Myth works no matter what happens in portage to qt...

Except you won't get any updates to Qt is a security hole is discovered,
that's the main reason for adding the kde-sunset overlay.


--
Neil Bothwick

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.
 
Old 02-11-2010, 06:07 AM
Alan McKinnon
 
Default Qt3 deprecated, but Qt4 still not x86 (only ~x86)???

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 22:51:00 Stroller wrote:
> On 10 Feb 2010, at 20:27, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> > ...
> > The qt- subpackages are very much alive and stable:
> >
> > $ eix qt-gui
> > [i] x11-libs/qt-gui
> >
> > Available versions: (4) 4.5.3-r2 (~)4.6.1 **4.6.9999-r1[1]
> >
> > **4.9999-
> > r1[1]
> >
> > {+accessibility aqua cups dbus debug exceptions +glib gtk
> >
> > +kde-qt mng
> > nas nis pch qt3support raster (+)stable-branch tiff xinerama}
> >
> > Installed versions: 4.6.1(4)(23:21:45 09/02/10)(accessibility
> >
> > cups dbus
> > glib gtk mng pch qt3support tiff xinerama -aqua -debug -nas -nis -
> > raster)
> >
> > Homepage: http://qt.nokia.com/
> > Description: The GUI module for the Qt toolkit
> >
> > You do not need to emerge qt. Just emerge the stuff that uses qt and
> > let
> > portage pick the bits needed.
>
> I wasn't aware that x11-libs/qt-gui was the "new name" for x11-libs/
> qt. Especially since I had both installed. However I have now
> unmerrged x11-libs/qt and `emerge -pvu world` does not show me short
> of anything, so I thank you for your help.

It's not.
qt is a deprectaed meta package.
qt-gui is one of the split ebuilds that form part of the whole of Qt. There
are about another 10 or so.



--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 01:21 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org