Old 02-09-2010, 06:23 PM
Mark Knecht

Default emerge -avt xfce4-meta; haven't got startxfce4. Help, please!

firefly ~ # emerge -ep xfce4-meta | grep xfce | grep utils
[ebuild R ] xfce-base/xfce-utils-4.6.1
firefly ~ #

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:36 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
<SNIP>
> firefly ~ # which startxfce4
> /usr/bin/startxfce4
> firefly ~ # equery belongs /usr/bin/startxfce4
> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/startxfce4 in *... ]
> xfce-base/xfce-utils-4.6.1 (/usr/bin/startxfce4)
> firefly ~ #
>
> mark@firefly ~ $ cat .xinitrc
> exec startxfce4
> mark@firefly ~ $
<SNIP>

Possibly you installed something other than xfce4-meta?

Old 02-10-2010, 02:33 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:39:14PM -0500, dhk wrote:
>
>> Do you have xfce-base/xfdesktop installed? *Try installing it.
>
> No, as it happens, I didn't. *When I tried
>
> * *# emerge xfdesktop
>
> , the compiler threw a segfault. *It does this reproducibly. *Bother!
>
> I don't have any fancy C(XX)?FLAGS set, and am using a standard
> athlon-64 setup.
>
> Presumably, rebuilding the compiler isn't going to help much, since the
> athlon-64 stage-3 would have had the latest and greatest compiler anyhow.
>
> I think, at this stage, I'll just try emerging a different window
> manager. *Maybe blackbox.

Is it just me? On a new install I always still to an emerge -e @world
once I get to a working text based boot and I've done any modification
to make.conf as I don't really know how the compiler or tool set was
built. Just paranoid.

I used to do it twice before I started installing apps or desktops but
I've cut back. :-)

If you care to compare:

mark@firefly ~ $ cat /etc/make.conf
# Please consult /usr/share/portage/config/make.conf.example for a more
# detailed example.
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=native -pipe"
#Safe CFlags for the Core-i7, saved for reference
#CFLAGS="-march=core2 -msse4 -mcx16 -msahf -O2 -pipe"
CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}"
# WARNING: Changing your CHOST is not something that should be done lightly.
# Please consult http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/change-chost.xml before changing.
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
# These are the USE flags that were used in addition to what is provided by the
# profile used for building.
#USE="hal"
USE="aac alsa cairo caps cdda cddb cdparanoia cdr dts dvd dvdr ffmpeg
flac fltk ftp gnome hal ieee1394 jack kde lame java jpeg ladspa lame
lash libsamplerate mmx mp3 mp4 mpeg musepack nsplugin ogg sse sse2
ssse3 sse4 tifftruetype vorbis xine xv xvid vmware -bluetooth -esound
-timidity"
MAKEOPTS="-j5"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.osuosl.org/ "
SYNC="rsync://rsync.namerica.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y"
#INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse"
INPUT_DEVICES="evdev virtualbox"
VIDEO_CARDS="intel fbdev virtualbox vmware"
#VIDEO_CARDS="intel vesa fbdev"
ALSA_CARDS="hdsp usb"
LINGUAS="en"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="dlj-1.1 PUEL"
source /usr/local/portage/layman/make.conf
mark@firefly ~

Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Mark Knecht

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 7:42 AM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 February 2010 17:33:46 Mark Knecht wrote:
<SNIP>

>> Is it just me? On a new install I always still to an emerge -e @world
>> once I get to a working text based boot and I've done any modification
>> to make.conf as I don't really know how the compiler or tool set was
>> built. Just paranoid.
>
> That's worthwhile, it goes real quick once gcc and glibc are built. Plus
> (until recently at least) the published stages always had an out of date gcc
> on them.
>
>> I used to do it twice before I started installing apps or desktops but
>> I've cut back. :-)
>
> Twice is pointless :-)
>
> gcc rebuilds itself twice to ensure that the binary is built with the same
> version as the result, and verifies that the last two are bit-wise identical.
> Then building the toolchain, then building the rest of world gives you exactly
> what you hope to get from doing it twice.

And it was you or Neil or someone else here who pointed that out maybe
1-2 years ago so I stopped doing it twice.

But, heck, why not? I do a lot of pointless things every day. I only
do new installs a few times a year... ;-)

Anyway, right after the system first comes up it's usually less than 1
hour to do a complete rebuild of that most basic system and I've had
very few _strange_ problems bringing up Gentoo since I started doing
it. (In 2000, so 10 years now...)

- Mark