Old 02-09-2010, 05:00 PM
Alan Mackenzie

Default emerge -avt xfce4-meta; haven't got startxfce4. Help, please!

Hi, Gentoo,

The Subject: just about says it all; following the instructions in "The
Xfce Configuration Guide", I did

# emerge -avt xfce4-meta

followed by

$ echo "exec startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc

followed by

$ startx.

The X-server complained about not finding startxfce4. A quick find
command, "find / -name startxfce4" (and I do mean quick - it took only
half a second :-) demonstrated a complete absence of a file with that
name.

Help, please! What do I need to do to get xfce running?

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).

Old 02-09-2010, 06:39 PM
dhk

Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
>> Hi, Gentoo,
>>
>> The Subject: just about says it all; following the instructions in "The
>> Xfce Configuration Guide", I did
>>
>> # emerge -avt xfce4-meta
>>
>> followed by
>>
>> $ echo "exec startxfce4" > ~/.xinitrc
>>
>> followed by
>>
>> $ startx.
>>
>> The X-server complained about not finding startxfce4. A quick find
>> command, "find / -name startxfce4" (and I do mean quick - it took only
>> half a second :-) demonstrated a complete absence of a file with that
>> name.
>>
>> Help, please! What do I need to do to get xfce running?
>>
>> --
>> Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).
>>

> Humm....that worked for me:
>

> firefly ~ # which startxfce4
> /usr/bin/startxfce4
> firefly ~ # equery belongs /usr/bin/startxfce4
> [ Searching for file(s) /usr/bin/startxfce4 in *... ]
> xfce-base/xfce-utils-4.6.1 (/usr/bin/startxfce4)
> firefly ~ #
>
> mark@firefly ~ $ cat .xinitrc
> exec startxfce4
> mark@firefly ~ $
>
> Do and emerge -pvDuN @world/revdep-rebuild -ip and make sure you are
> really clean. It should work but the info above should allow oyu to
> get it running.
>
> I didn't need to do anything special here.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Mark

Do you have xfce-base/xfdesktop installed? Try installing it.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:30 PM
Harry Putnam

Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> writes:

> Possibly you installed something other than xfce4-meta?
>
> firefly ~ # emerge -ep xfce4-meta | grep xfce | grep utils
> [ebuild R ] xfce-base/xfce-utils-4.6.1
> firefly ~ #

I'm just seconding fireflys' report. I suspect xfce4 expects you to
be starting X from a system script under /etc/X11 somewhere instead of
startx. So may consider that method a secondary thing and therefor
not install xfce-base/xfce-utils by default. (just a guess)

I use the startx method too and don't recall doing anything special to
get it to work.

But maybe just installing or reinstalling xfce-base/xfce-utils will
take care of the problem.

Is xfce-base/xfce-utils already installed?

Old 02-09-2010, 10:17 PM
dhk

Harry Putnam wrote:
> Mark Knecht <markknecht@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Possibly you installed something other than xfce4-meta?
>>
>> firefly ~ # emerge -ep xfce4-meta | grep xfce | grep utils
>> [ebuild R ] xfce-base/xfce-utils-4.6.1
>> firefly ~ #
>
> I'm just seconding fireflys' report. I suspect xfce4 expects you to
> be starting X from a system script under /etc/X11 somewhere instead of
> startx. So may consider that method a secondary thing and therefor
> not install xfce-base/xfce-utils by default. (just a guess)
>
> I use the startx method too and don't recall doing anything special to
> get it to work.
>
> But maybe just installing or reinstalling xfce-base/xfce-utils will
> take care of the problem.
>
> Is xfce-base/xfce-utils already installed?

Again, do you have xfce-base/xfdesktop installed? Try installing it and
running startxfce4.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:42 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 17:33:46 Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 3:22 AM, Alan Mackenzie <acm@muc.de> wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 02:39:14PM -0500, dhk wrote:
> >> Do you have xfce-base/xfdesktop installed? Try installing it.
> >
> > No, as it happens, I didn't. When I tried
> >
> > # emerge xfdesktop
> >
> > , the compiler threw a segfault. It does this reproducibly. Bother!
> >
> > I don't have any fancy C(XX)?FLAGS set, and am using a standard
> > athlon-64 setup.
> >
> > Presumably, rebuilding the compiler isn't going to help much, since the
> > athlon-64 stage-3 would have had the latest and greatest compiler anyhow.
> >
> > I think, at this stage, I'll just try emerging a different window
> > manager. Maybe blackbox.
>
> Is it just me? On a new install I always still to an emerge -e @world
> once I get to a working text based boot and I've done any modification
> to make.conf as I don't really know how the compiler or tool set was
> built. Just paranoid.

That's worthwhile, it goes real quick once gcc and glibc are built. Plus
(until recently at least) the published stages always had an out of date gcc
on them.

> I used to do it twice before I started installing apps or desktops but
> I've cut back. :-)

Twice is pointless :-)

gcc rebuilds itself twice to ensure that the binary is built with the same
version as the result, and verifies that the last two are bit-wise identical.
Then building the toolchain, then building the rest of world gives you exactly
what you hope to get from doing it twice.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 02-10-2010, 07:32 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 10 February 2010 18:37:00 Mark Knecht wrote:
> > gcc rebuilds itself twice to ensure that the binary is built with the
> > same version as the result, and verifies that the last two are bit-wise
> > identical. Then building the toolchain, then building the rest of world
> > gives you exactly what you hope to get from doing it twice.
>
> And it was you or Neil or someone else here who pointed that out maybe
> 1-2 years ago so I stopped doing it twice.
>
> But, heck, why not? I do a lot of pointless things every day. I only
> do new installs a few times a year... ;-)

Now that you put it that way.... :-)

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com