Old 02-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Alex Schuster

Default 1-Terabyte drives - 4K sector sizes? -> bar performance so far

Frank Steinmetzger writes:

> Am Montag, 15. Februar 2010 schrieb Willie Wong:

> > Instead of guessing using this rather imprecise metric, why not just
> > look up the serial number of your drive and see what the physical
> > sector size is?
>
> Well, at differences of 50%, precision is of no relevance anymore.
> Also, I already did look it up and it didn’t turn up any conclusive
> results. Just search hits from fdisk output of people who are
> partitioning the drive. So the only thing I can think of yet is to
> call Samsung’s expensive hotline. Hm... oh well, perhaps I could write
> an e-mail, because I’m too niggard and phonophobe to make a call. ^^

No need for either, just look up the drive on Samsung's homepage[*]. It's
512 bytes/sector, you should be fine.

Wonko
[*]http://www.samsung.com/global/business/hdd/productmodel.do?group=72&type=94&subtype=99&model_ cd=446

Old 02-16-2010, 04:35 PM
Frank Steinmetzger

Am Dienstag, 16. Februar 2010 schrieb Alex Schuster:

> No need for either, just look up the drive on Samsung's homepage[*]. It's
> 512 bytes/sector, you should be fine.

Gee thanks. Though that still keeps me baffled about my results, I can start
looking for other reasons for it. Consider the thread closed (again ;-) .

--
Gru | Greetings | Qapla'
Beamy, Scot me up!