-   -   revdep-rebuild keeps reinstalling binutils (http://www.linux-archive.org/gentoo-user/320272-revdep-rebuild-keeps-reinstalling-binutils.html)

Harry Putnam 02-03-2010 08:45 PM

revdep-rebuild keeps reinstalling binutils

After todays update world, I run revdep-rebuild which reports binutils
broken and uses `oneshot' to reinstall it. Follow with another
revdep-rebuild and it finds the same thing.

Anyone seen something similar or have an idea what might be the problem?

Alan McKinnon 02-03-2010 08:53 PM

On Wednesday 03 February 2010 23:45:00 Harry Putnam wrote:
> After todays update world, I run revdep-rebuild which reports binutils
> broken and uses `oneshot' to reinstall it. Follow with another
> revdep-rebuild and it finds the same thing.
>
> Anyone seen something similar or have an idea what might be the problem?

full output from revdep-rebuild?

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Steven 02-03-2010 09:12 PM

revdep-rebuild keeps reinstalling binutils

Leon Feng 02-04-2010 01:13 PM

revdep-rebuild keeps reinstalling binutils

在 2010/2/4 05:45:00,Harry Putnam :
> After todays update world, I run revdep-rebuild which reports binutils
> broken and uses `oneshot' to reinstall it. Follow with another
> revdep-rebuild and it finds the same thing.
>
> Anyone seen something similar or have an idea what might be the problem?

I have seen this for weeks, but since I upgrade to portage-2.2* at the same
time, do not know whether it is related. My revdep-rebuild out is listed
below, anyone has a solution?

# revdep-rebuild -p
[...]
* Collecting system binaries and libraries
* Generated new 1_files.rr
* Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
* Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
* Checking dynamic linking consistency
[ 35% ] * broken /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libbfd.la
(requires -liberty)
* broken /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libopcodes.la
(requires -liberty)
[ 100% ]
* Generated new 3_broken.rr
* Assigning files to packages
* /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libbfd.la -> sys-devel/binutils
* /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libopcodes.la -> sys-
devel/binutils
* Generated new 4_raw.rr and 4_owners.rr
* Cleaning list of packages to rebuild
* Generated new 4_pkgs.rr
* Assigning packages to ebuilds
* Generated new 4_ebuilds.rr
* Evaluating package order
* Generated new 5_order.rr
* All prepared. Starting rebuild
emerge --oneshot --pretend sys-devel/binutils:0

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.20
* Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and re-run revdep-
rebuild.

Leon Feng

Helmut Jarausch 02-04-2010 02:05 PM

revdep-rebuild keeps reinstalling binutils

Hi Leon,

have you really run
lafilefixer --justfixit

and some time, ago, I had problems because of
dangling symlinks, so I've run

symlinks -dr /usr

(which remove all dangling symlinks in /usr/**/*)

Then re-emerge sys-devel/binutils again

I hope this helps,m

Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Neil Bothwick 02-04-2010 02:47 PM

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:13:20 +0800, Leon Feng wrote:

> I have seen this for weeks, but since I upgrade to portage-2.2* at the
> same time, do not know whether it is related. My revdep-rebuild out is
> listed below, anyone has a solution?

Are you also running the testing gentoolkit? Otherwise you're trying to
use the old revdep-rebuild wit the new portage, which may have
unexpected consequences.

Have you run lafilefixer --justfixit? This should always be the first
step when revdep-rebuild reports problems.

--
Neil Bothwick

If a man is standing in the middle of the forest speaking and there is
no woman around to hear him - Is he still wrong?

Harry Putnam 02-04-2010 05:11 PM

Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wednesday 03 February 2010 23:45:00 Harry Putnam wrote:
>> After todays update world, I run revdep-rebuild which reports binutils
>> broken and uses `oneshot' to reinstall it. Follow with another
>> revdep-rebuild and it finds the same thing.
>>
>> Anyone seen something similar or have an idea what might be the problem?
>
> full output from revdep-rebuild?

My output is identical to that posted by Leon F.

Where does one find find lafilefixer?

root # which lafilefixer

which: no lafilefixer in
(/usr/local/bin:/cvsb/reader/home/reader/scripts:/cvsb/reader/home/reader/scripts/perl:/cvsb/reader/home/reader/scripts/awk:/cvsb/reader/home/reader/scripts/log_tools:/root/bin:/cvsb/reader/root/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-0.2.1_rc2/deprecated/qpkg:/usr/share/doc/gentoolkit-0.2.1_rc2/deprecated/etcat:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/opt/bin:/usr/i686-pc-linux-gnu/gcc-bin/4.3.4)

Doug Hunley 02-04-2010 05:29 PM

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 13:11, Harry Putnam <reader@newsguy.com> wrote:
> Where does one find find lafilefixer?

emerge dev-util/lafilefixer

--
Douglas J Hunley, RHCT
doug.hunley@gmail.com : http://douglasjhunley.com : Twitter: @hunleyd

Obsessively opposed to the typical.

Steven 02-04-2010 07:44 PM

On 22:13/02/04/10, Leon Feng wrote:
> ??? 2010/2/4 05:45:00???Harry Putnam ???
> > After todays update world, I run revdep-rebuild which reports binutils
> > broken and uses `oneshot' to reinstall it. Follow with another
> > revdep-rebuild and it finds the same thing.
> >
> > Anyone seen something similar or have an idea what might be the problem?
> >

> I have seen this for weeks, but since I upgrade to portage-2.2* at the same
> time, do not know whether it is related. My revdep-rebuild out is listed
> below, anyone has a solution?
>
> # revdep-rebuild -p
> [...]
> * Collecting system binaries and libraries
> * Generated new 1_files.rr
> * Collecting complete LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> * Generated new 2_ldpath.rr
> * Checking dynamic linking consistency
> [ 35% ] * broken /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libbfd.la
> (requires -liberty)
> * broken /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libopcodes.la
> (requires -liberty)
> [ 100% ]
> * Generated new 3_broken.rr
> * Assigning files to packages
> * /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libbfd.la -> sys-devel/binutils
> * /usr/lib/binutils/i686-pc-linux-gnu/2.20/libopcodes.la -> sys-
> devel/binutils
> * Generated new 4_raw.rr and 4_owners.rr
> * Cleaning list of packages to rebuild
> * Generated new 4_pkgs.rr
> * Assigning packages to ebuilds
> * Generated new 4_ebuilds.rr
> * Evaluating package order
> * Generated new 5_order.rr
> * All prepared. Starting rebuild
> emerge --oneshot --pretend sys-devel/binutils:0

> Calculating dependencies... done!
> [ebuild R ] sys-devel/binutils-2.20
> * Now you can remove -p (or --pretend) from arguments and re-run revdep-
> rebuild.
>
> Leon Feng

Bug#: 298651
- --
public key @
apartment415.homelinux.com

Harry Putnam 02-05-2010 10:46 PM

Neil Bothwick <neil@digimed.co.uk> writes:

> On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 22:13:20 +0800, Leon Feng wrote:
>
>> I have seen this for weeks, but since I upgrade to portage-2.2* at the
>> same time, do not know whether it is related. My revdep-rebuild out is
>> listed below, anyone has a solution?
>
> Are you also running the testing gentoolkit? Otherwise you're trying to
> use the old revdep-rebuild wit the new portage, which may have
> unexpected consequences.
>
> Have you run lafilefixer --justfixit? This should always be the first
> step when revdep-rebuild reports problems.

You were speaking to Leon no me (The OP), but since my output was
identical, I'll report too:

I'm running ~x86 on everything and latest version of gentoolkit (I
don't have gentoolkit-dev installed)

I've emerged lafilefixer (thanks Steve) and ran
lafilefixer --justfixit

Then ran revdep-rebuild again.... it still finds broken binutils so
I'm letting it `oneshot' the emerge.

Was the expectation that running `lafilefixer --justfixit' would stop
revdep-rebuild from continuously finding a broken binutils?

Or was I expected to run lafilefixer --justfixit and then rebuild
binutils once more?

In any case I did the later and now the oneshot has finished and a
rerun of revdep-rebuild again finds the same `broken' binutils....

Apparently no progress has occurred..