Old 01-08-2008, 11:35 AM
Daniel Iliev

Default package.provided

Hi,

I want to compile mplayer in a way not supported by the ebuild and use
portage only to keep record of the files installed in system for future
uninstallation.

The system amd64 stable.

I have done the following:

(1) echo media-video/mplayer >> /etc/portage/package.keywords

// "emerge -p mplayer" now gives:
media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2 //

(2) echo media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2
>> /etc/portage/package.provided

(3) ebuild `equery w mplayer` unpack

(4) cd $PORTAGE_TMPDIR/portage/media-video/mplayer-*/work/mplayer*
(5) ./configure --the-way-I-want-it-to-be
(6)make
(7) cd ../../
(8) touch .compiled
(9) ebuild `equery w mplayer` merge

Everything seems to be OK until I try "emerge -DuNav world". After
this point portage wants to rebuild mplayer, showing all USE flags
as newly added (e.g. "alsa%"). I expected putting mplayer
into /etc/portage/package.keywords to make portage ignore this
package.

Where is my mistake and what is the correct method I should follow?

--
Best regards,
Daniel

Old 01-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Renat Golubchyk

On Tue, 8 Jan 2008 14:35:27 +0200 Daniel Iliev <daniel.iliev@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I want to compile mplayer in a way not supported by the ebuild and use
> portage only to keep record of the files installed in system for
> future uninstallation.
>
> The system amd64 stable.
>
> I have done the following:
>
> (1) echo media-video/mplayer >> /etc/portage/package.keywords
>
> // "emerge -p mplayer" now gives:
> media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2 //
>
> (2) echo media-video/mplayer-1.0_rc2_p24929-r2
> >> /etc/portage/package.provided
>
> (3) ebuild `equery w mplayer` unpack
>
> (4) cd $PORTAGE_TMPDIR/portage/media-video/mplayer-*/work/mplayer*
> (5) ./configure --the-way-I-want-it-to-be
> (6)make
> (7) cd ../../
> (8) touch .compiled
> (9) ebuild `equery w mplayer` merge
>

> Everything seems to be OK until I try "emerge -DuNav world". After
> this point portage wants to rebuild mplayer, showing all USE flags
> as newly added (e.g. "alsa%"). I expected putting mplayer
> into /etc/portage/package.keywords to make portage ignore this
> package.
>
> Where is my mistake and what is the correct method I should follow?

The correct method is described, for example, in the following email:
http://archives.gentoo.org/gentoo-user/msg_119794.xml

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.

Old 01-08-2008, 12:11 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Daniel Iliev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to compile mplayer in a way not supported by the ebuild and
> use portage only to keep record of the files installed in system for
> future uninstallation.

A much better way would be to modify the ebuild to do what you want,
then copy it to a local overlay. Portage will use your overlay in
preference to the portage tree. You just have to then watch out for
newer versions to hit the tree which will supercede your custom ebuild,
and modify those new versions similarly.

There's an environment variable EXTRA_ECONF intended for *users* to add
extra configure options when emerging, but I have heard bad things
about using this. Don't know the details, perhaps someone else who does
will post in response.

Finally, you could just mask out mplayer entirely and build it from
source using the default DESTDIR of /usr/local. It's not a complete
unistall solution, but at least it doesn't collide with portage's
installs in /usr/

man 5 ebuild has lots of info on this topic

alan

--
Alan McKinnon
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com