Old 01-08-2008, 07:33 AM
William Kenworthy

Default Incredibly slow disk access

If you have sata drives, and they are showing up as hdx, you have
something seriously misconfigured. They should be showing as sdx.

Deselect everything in ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL and select the relevant boxes
in serial ATA. Dont forget fstab will need redoing to match.

I always thought that if you select both, serial ata should take
precedence, and in some cases you can access via both, but I have at
least one machine that will only work as sata with all the older ata
stuff deselected.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 01-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Wayn0

William Kenworthy wrote:

If you have sata drives, and they are showing up as hdx, you have
something seriously misconfigured. They should be showing as sdx.

Deselect everything in ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL and select the relevant boxes
in serial ATA. Dont forget fstab will need redoing to match.

I always thought that if you select both, serial ata should take
precedence, and in some cases you can access via both, but I have at
least one machine that will only work as sata with all the older ata
stuff deselected.

BillK

Cheers,

This is why it's doing my head in. I have a desktop with both sata pata
drives in with a very similar kernel config and it work as expected :-/

I will try removing all the ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL stuff tonight, and report
back later.

Thanks again for the help

Old 01-08-2008, 12:36 PM
Mick

On Tuesday 08 January 2008, Wayn0 wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:
> > If you have sata drives, and they are showing up as hdx, you have
> > something seriously misconfigured. They should be showing as sdx.
> >
> > Deselect everything in ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL and select the relevant boxes
> > in serial ATA. Dont forget fstab will need redoing to match.
> >
> > I always thought that if you select both, serial ata should take
> > precedence, and in some cases you can access via both, but I have at
> > least one machine that will only work as sata with all the older ata
> > stuff deselected.
> >
> > BillK
>
> Cheers,
>
> This is why it's doing my head in. I have a desktop with both sata pata
> drives in with a very similar kernel config and it work as expected :-/
>
> I will try removing all the ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL stuff tonight, and report
> back later.

For sata drives use this, not hdparm:

# eix -l sdparm
* sys-apps/sdparm
Available versions:
0.97
0.98
~ 0.99
1.00
1.01
~ 1.02
Homepage: http://sg.torque.net/sg/sdparm.html
device, like hdparm

Mick

Old 01-08-2008, 02:47 PM
Wayn0

William Kenworthy wrote:

If you have sata drives, and they are showing up as hdx, you have
something seriously misconfigured. They should be showing as sdx.

Deselect everything in ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL and select the relevant boxes
in serial ATA. Dont forget fstab will need redoing to match.

I always thought that if you select both, serial ata should take
precedence, and in some cases you can access via both, but I have at
least one machine that will only work as sata with all the older ata
stuff deselected.

BillK

Thanks Bill,

removing all the ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL stuff sorted it out.

:-)

Wayn0

Old 01-08-2008, 03:27 PM
Andrew Gaydenko

BTW, which speed can be treated as "not slow"? hdparm for my SATA SAMSUNG
HD401LJ shows ~60MB/Sec. Is it normal?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:20 PM
Dale

Wayn0 wrote:
> William Kenworthy wrote:
>> If you have sata drives, and they are showing up as hdx, you have
>> something seriously misconfigured. They should be showing as sdx.
>>
>> Deselect everything in ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL and select the relevant boxes
>> in serial ATA. Dont forget fstab will need redoing to match.
>>
>> I always thought that if you select both, serial ata should take
>> precedence, and in some cases you can access via both, but I have at
>> least one machine that will only work as sata with all the older ata
>> stuff deselected.
>>
>> BillK
>
> Thanks Bill,
>
> removing all the ATA/ATAPI/MFM/RLL stuff sorted it out.
>
> :-)
>

> Wayn0

Would you mind posting what speeds you get now? I'm curious myself.

Thanks

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-09-2008, 01:53 AM
Hal Martin

I have a Western Digital 250GB SATA-II drive on an NForce4 integrated
SATA-II controller, here are my readings...

hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i dma

******* DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5
*udma6

/dev/sda:

*Timing cached reads:** 1646 MB in* 2.00 seconds = 823.19 MB/sec

*Timing buffered disk reads:* 172 MB in* 3.03 seconds =* 56.77 MB/sec

Machine is an Athlon X2 3800+ running Gentoo 2007.0 AMD64

A Western Digital 500GB SATA-II drive, connected through a SATA-I PCI
card on another Gentoo box reports:

hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i dma

******* DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5
udma6

*************** DMA Setup Auto-Activate optimization

/dev/sda:

*Timing cached reads:** 312 MB in* 2.01 seconds = 155.28 MB/sec

*Timing buffered disk reads:* 162 MB in* 3.02 seconds =* 53.65 MB/sec

The onboard Maxtor 60GB IDE drive reports:

hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep -i dma

******* DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 *udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5

/dev/hda:

*Timing cached reads:** 312 MB in* 2.01 seconds = 155.17 MB/sec

*Timing buffered disk reads:** 76 MB in* 3.05 seconds =* 24.88 MB/sec

Machine is a Dell PowerEdge 350, PIII server running Gentoo 2007.0 i386.

I'm curious, is your optical drive also SATA? If it's not, then how do
you intend to access it without ATA/ATAPI drivers?

-Hal

Old 01-09-2008, 02:55 AM
"Mark Shields"

wrote:
> I'd also recommending after checking for the above, also check what

> level of UDMA is set. *Try this: *hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep -i dma
>
> Yours should say probably either udma3 or udma4.

Why not udma5 ? All my PATA drives (desktop and notebook) run at udma5

for some years now without any problems.

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.

It was just a guess.* Take it with a grain of salt.
--
- Mark Shields