Old 01-07-2008, 11:26 PM
Wayn0

Default Incredibly slow disk access

Hi All,

I have installed gentoo on my laptop recently and I am having a huge
problem with speed.

The problem is the insanely slow disk access that I am getting.

here is some output:

manticore ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/hda

/dev/hda:
Timing cached reads: 5702 MB in 2.00 seconds = 2857.11 MB/sec
Timing buffered disk reads: 6 MB in 3.37 seconds = 1.78 MB/sec

manticore ~ # /etc/init.d/hdparm start
* Running hdparm on /dev/hda ...
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
[ ok ]

* Running hdparm on /dev/hdd ...
HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
[ ok ]

I read on a forum somewhere that this could be caused by the HAL daemon
so I shut that down and no luck :-(

Any ideas?

Thanks
Wayn0

Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 PM
William Kenworthy

Check the options for your chipset in the kernel - look at device
drivers and ata/... devices. Looks like its just defaulted to the
minimum as it hasnt seen what chipset you are using.

Also consider moving to libata - seems better where I have tried it.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <billk@iinet.net.au>
Home in Perth!

Old 01-08-2008, 12:37 AM
Dale

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Check the options for your chipset in the kernel - look at device
> drivers and ata/... devices. Looks like its just defaulted to the
> minimum as it hasnt seen what chipset you are using.
>
> Also consider moving to libata - seems better where I have tried it.
>
> BillK
>

> On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 02:26 +0200, Wayn0 wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have installed gentoo on my laptop recently and I am having a huge
>> problem with speed.
>>
>> The problem is the insanely slow disk access that I am getting.
>>
>> here is some output:
>>
>> manticore ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>>
>> /dev/hda:
>> Timing cached reads: 5702 MB in 2.00 seconds = 2857.11 MB/sec
>> Timing buffered disk reads: 6 MB in 3.37 seconds = 1.78 MB/sec
>>
>> manticore ~ # /etc/init.d/hdparm start
>> * Running hdparm on /dev/hda ...
>> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>> [ ok ]
>> * Running hdparm on /dev/hdd ...
>> HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>> [ ok ]
>>

>> I read on a forum somewhere that this could be caused by the HAL daemon
>> so I shut that down and no luck :-(
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Wayn0

Also check that DMA is enabled. If you have the wrong or no chipset
selected in your kernel, it won't be there. lspci may be a good one to
check as well.

Dang, that is slow tho.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-08-2008, 12:51 AM
"Mark Shields"

On Jan 7, 2008 8:37 PM, Dale <dalek1967@bellsouth.net> wrote:

William Kenworthy wrote:
> Check the options for your chipset in the kernel - look at device
> drivers and ata/... devices. *Looks like its just defaulted to the
> minimum as it hasnt seen what chipset you are using.

> Also consider moving to libata - seems better where I have tried it.
>
> BillK
>

> On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 02:26 +0200, Wayn0 wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>

>> I have installed gentoo on my laptop recently and I am having a huge
>> problem with speed.
>>
>> The problem is the insanely slow disk access that I am getting.
>>
>> here is some output:

>> manticore ~ # hdparm -tT /dev/hda
>>
>> /dev/hda:
>> * Timing cached reads: * 5702 MB in *2.00 seconds = 2857.11 MB/sec
>> * Timing buffered disk reads: * *6 MB in *
3.37 seconds = * 1.78 MB/sec

>> manticore ~ # /etc/init.d/hdparm start
>> * * Running hdparm on /dev/hda ...
>> * HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>> * * [ ok ]

>> * * Running hdparm on /dev/hdd ...
>> * HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
>> * * [ ok ]
>>

>> I read on a forum somewhere that this could be caused by the HAL daemon

>> so I shut that down and no luck :-(
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks
>> Wayn0

Also check that DMA is enabled. *If you have the wrong or no chipset

selected in your kernel, it won't be there. *lspci may be a good one to
check as well.

Dang, that is slow tho.

Dale

:-) *:-)

I'd also recommending after checking for the above, also check what level of UDMA is set.* Try this:* hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep -i dma

Yours should say probably either udma3 or udma4.* My SATA-I drive is set to udma5, for example:

hdparm -I /dev/sda | grep -i dma
******* DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 *udma5 udma6

--
- Mark Shields

Old 01-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Renat Golubchyk

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 20:51:02 -0500 "Mark Shields" <laebshade@gmail.com>
wrote:
> I'd also recommending after checking for the above, also check what
> level of UDMA is set. Try this: hdparm -I /dev/hda | grep -i dma
>
> Yours should say probably either udma3 or udma4.

Why not udma5 ? All my PATA drives (desktop and notebook) run at udma5
for some years now without any problems.

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.

Old 01-08-2008, 06:47 AM
Wayn0