Old 01-14-2008, 06:22 PM
"Alex Schuster"

Default emerge of ksh93 erroring out.. who can interpret

reader@newsguy.com writes:

Alex Schuster <wonko@wonkology.org> writes:

reader@newsguy.com writes:

But I was really just saying that syntax at my low level of usage is
largely interchangeable but for the cases I mentioned. So it makes
switching scripting shells from ksh93 to bash pretty smooth.

Well, good luck then

Something for your consideration I learned on comp.unix.shell that
ksh93 can handle associative arrays where as bash cannot or maybe just
not as easily. The example given by Icarus S. there for ksh93 was:
[...]

You may find that discussion interesting

Yeah, this is one of the things I would also like very much to have. But the
Bash FAQ (<http://tiswww.case.edu/php/chet/bash/FAQ>) not only states that
bash lacks this feature (C2), but also says that this is planned for the
future (H3). So I wait and hope it will happen soon. Well. Eventually.

The other problem was with the =~ notation and quoting of the regular
expression not being allowed any more. Workaround is to define a variable
(foo) with the expression: [[ "blabla" =~ $foo ]]

I can't reproduce that here (I mean a problem with quoting the regex)
but maybe I'm not getting what you mean? Or maybe its been fixed.
[...]

In bash < 3.2, [[ 1 =~ "1|2|3" ]] worked and evaluated to true, but
[[ 1 =~ 1|2|3 ]] gave a syntax error. In bash >= 3.2, [[ 1 =~ "1|2|3" ]]
does not match any longer, only [[ 1 =~ 1|2|3 ]] does. The workaround is to
define a variable foo, and use [[ 1 =~ $foo ]].

Wonko