Old 01-19-2010, 10:43 PM
Michael George

Default Sansa Clip+ no device for expansion card

I just got a Sansa Clip+ and when I plug it into my gentoo box, it sees
the device as mass-storage, creates /dev/sdc, and I can mount it as vfat
and put songs on it. That's all fine.

However, I put an expansion micro-SD card into it. The player sees it
fine. When I plug the player into my Mac, it puts two devices on the
desktop. When I plug it into my Linux box, /var/log/messages only lists
/dev/sdc (not /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd as I expected) being created.

I can plug another USB device in and /dev/sdd is created, so there's
nothing keeping the system from creating /dev/sdd. I have it's USB
mode set to MSC.

What else could be keeping it from seeing the expansion card?

--
-M

There are 10 kinds of people in this world:
Those who can count in binary and those who cannot.

Old 01-19-2010, 11:15 PM
James Ausmus

I just got a Sansa Clip+ and when I plug it into my gentoo box, it sees

the device as mass-storage, creates /dev/sdc, and I can mount it as vfat

and put songs on it. *That's all fine.

However, I put an expansion micro-SD card into it. *The player sees it

fine. *When I plug the player into my Mac, it puts two devices on the

desktop. *When I plug it into my Linux box, /var/log/messages only lists

/dev/sdc (not /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd as I expected) being created.

I can plug another USB device in and /dev/sdd is created, so there's

nothing keeping the system from creating /dev/sdd. *I have it's USB

mode set to MSC.

What else could be keeping it from seeing the expansion card?

Probably kernel config - check to make sure you enabled "Probe all LUNs on each SCSI device" - under Device Drivers->SCSI device support

-James

Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 18:43:35 -0500, Michael George wrote:

> However, I put an expansion micro-SD card into it. The player sees it
> fine. When I plug the player into my Mac, it puts two devices on the
> desktop. When I plug it into my Linux box, /var/log/messages only lists
> /dev/sdc (not /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd as I expected) being created.

Make sure you have CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN=y in your kernel config.

--
Neil Bothwick

[unwieldy legal disclaimer would go here - feel free to type your own]

Old 01-20-2010, 01:21 AM
Michael George

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 04:15:42PM -0800, James Ausmus wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 3:43 PM, Michael George <george@mutualdata.com>wrote:
>
> > I just got a Sansa Clip+ and when I plug it into my gentoo box, it sees
> > the device as mass-storage, creates /dev/sdc, and I can mount it as vfat
> > and put songs on it. That's all fine.
> >
> > However, I put an expansion micro-SD card into it. The player sees it
> > fine. When I plug the player into my Mac, it puts two devices on the
> > desktop. When I plug it into my Linux box, /var/log/messages only lists
> > /dev/sdc (not /dev/sdc and /dev/sdd as I expected) being created.
> >
> > I can plug another USB device in and /dev/sdd is created, so there's
> > nothing keeping the system from creating /dev/sdd. I have it's USB
> > mode set to MSC.
> >
> > What else could be keeping it from seeing the expansion card?
> >

> Probably kernel config - check to make sure you enabled "Probe all LUNs on
> each SCSI device" - under Device Drivers->SCSI device support

Ah, I checked and I didn't have that option set. I'll change it,
rebuild, and reboot.

Thanks to all who answered!