Old 01-19-2010, 05:23 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Default {OT} Flashing BIOS with Windows utility

Am Dienstag 19 Januar 2010 17:26:40 schrieb Grant:
> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". I've flashed the BIOS in
> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? I tried running the
> utility via wine with no luck.

Did you try the flashing utilities from the coreboot project?

HTH...

Dirk

Old 01-19-2010, 05:24 PM
Mark Knecht

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html

Old 01-19-2010, 06:23 PM
Grant

>> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
>> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". *I've flashed the BIOS in
>> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
>> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? *I tried running the
>> utility via wine with no luck.
>
> Did you try the flashing utilities from the coreboot project?

I looked into that, but the only Biostar motherboard in their list of
supported hardware is an old Pentium II/III:

http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards

- Grant

Old 01-19-2010, 06:24 PM
Grant

>> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
>> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". *I've flashed the BIOS in
>> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
>> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? *I tried running the
>> utility via wine with no luck.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> I'm not surprised wine won't work: it is a non privileged program
> (besides its incomplete nature). *Does the flashing program open a cmd
> session?

Unfortunately no, just a little GUI.

- Grant

Old 01-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Grant

>> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
>> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". *I've flashed the BIOS in
>> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
>> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? *I tried running the
>> utility via wine with no luck.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html

XP on a USB stick.... It sounds like a Windows machine is necessary
to build it, but once it's built it would be really handy.

- Grant

Old 01-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:34 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
>>> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". *I've flashed the BIOS in
>>> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
>>> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? *I tried running the
>>> utility via wine with no luck.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>

>> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html
>
> XP on a USB stick.... *It sounds like a Windows machine is necessary
> to build it, but once it's built it would be really handy.
>
> - Grant

I keep one around. It works sometimes, as long as your Windows machine
hardware doesn't need anything terribly unique. It's helped me with
flashing firmware on RME sound cards. They require Windows also.

Just thought I'd mention it. It's a bit of work, but once it's done
you don't have to mess with Windows on the disk.

Good luck,
Mark

Old 01-19-2010, 07:59 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Dienstag 19 Januar 2010 20:23:53 schrieb Grant:
> >> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
> >> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". I've flashed the BIOS in
> >> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
> >> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? I tried running the
> >> utility via wine with no luck.
> >
> > Did you try the flashing utilities from the coreboot project?
>
> I looked into that, but the only Biostar motherboard in their list of
> supported hardware is an old Pentium II/III:
>
> http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards

That's the list of supported boards for coreboot itself. I was talking about
their flashrom tool (www.flashrom.org).

Bye...

Dirk

Old 01-19-2010, 09:52 PM
Stroller

I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". I've flashed the BIOS in
other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? I tried running the
utility via wine with no luck.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html

Isn't it the case that you need Windows to install that?

Yay! I love recursion!

Stroller.

Old 01-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Grant

>>> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html
>>
>> XP on a USB stick.... *It sounds like a Windows machine is necessary
>> to build it, but once it's built it would be really handy.
>>
>> - Grant
>>

> I keep one around. It works sometimes, as long as your Windows machine
> hardware doesn't need anything terribly unique. It's helped me with
> flashing firmware on RME sound cards. They require Windows also.
>
> Just thought I'd mention it. It's a bit of work, but once it's done
> you don't have to mess with Windows on the disk.
>
> Good luck,
> Mark

Hi Mark,

What's wrong with hardware that needs unique software? Doesn't the
USB key work just like XP on an HD?

- Grant

Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 PM
Stroller