Old 01-19-2010, 09:58 PM
Grant

Default {OT} Flashing BIOS with Windows utility

>> > Did you try the flashing utilities from the coreboot project?
>>
>> I looked into that, but the only Biostar motherboard in their list of
>> supported hardware is an old Pentium II/III:
>>
>> http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards
>
> That's the list of supported boards for coreboot itself. I was talking about
> their flashrom tool (www.flashrom.org).

I should be able to use flashrom to flash my motherboard's BIOS? Do I
need to check compatibility, or do I just go for it?

- Grant

Old 01-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:52 PM, Stroller
<stroller@stellar.eclipse.co.uk> wrote:

> On 19 Jan 2010, at 18:24, Mark Knecht wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 8:26 AM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
>>> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". *I've flashed the BIOS in
>>> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
>>> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? *I tried running the
>>> utility via wine with no luck.
>>
>> http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/windows-pocket,1113.html
>
> Isn't it the case that you need Windows to install that?
>
> Yay! I love recursion!
>
> Stroller.

Yep - it's absolutely recursive. However how can you use Windows if
you don't own a copy to use? I have licenses. If someone doesn't have
a license then this isn't a good solution.

- Mark

Old 01-19-2010, 11:57 PM
Mark Knecht

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Grant <emailgrant@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> XP on a USB stick.... *It sounds like a Windows machine is necessary
>>> to build it, but once it's built it would be really handy.
>>>
>>> - Grant
>>>

>> I keep one around. It works sometimes, as long as your Windows machine
>> hardware doesn't need anything terribly unique. It's helped me with
>> flashing firmware on RME sound cards. They require Windows also.
>>
>> Just thought I'd mention it. It's a bit of work, but once it's done
>> you don't have to mess with Windows on the disk.
>>
>> Good luck,
>> Mark
>
> Hi Mark,
>
> What's wrong with hardware that needs unique software? *Doesn't the
> USB key work just like XP on an HD?
>
> - Grant

Sure, but if you set this up on one machine and then try to use it on
another machine that has different hardware then it may or may not
work. My experience is mostly it doesn't.

I've wanted to learn to set up a little library of USB images of which
I'd load the one I wanted into the flash drive when I needed it, but
the flash drives are so cheap these days that it's just easier to have
5 or 6 of them laying around. Then the only problem is remembering
which one works with a specific machine.

- Mark

Old 01-20-2010, 09:39 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 01/19/2010 06:26 PM, Grant wrote:

I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". I've flashed the BIOS in
other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? I tried running the
utility via wine with no luck.

Most motherboard vendors also offer a bootable ISO image that will flash
the BIOS automatically once booted from it. Did you check whether
Biostar offers this?

Old 01-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Xi Shen

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@arcor.de> wrote:
> On 01/19/2010 06:26 PM, Grant wrote:
>>
>> I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
>> is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". *I've flashed the BIOS in
>> other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
>> Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? *I tried running the
>> utility via wine with no luck.
>
> Most motherboard vendors also offer a bootable ISO image that will flash the
> BIOS automatically once booted from it. *Did you check whether Biostar
> offers this?

i just wonder why we do not have BIOS flash program on linux.

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/

Old 01-20-2010, 11:34 AM
Nikos Chantziaras

On 01/20/2010 01:53 PM, Xi Shen wrote:

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Nikos Chantziaras<realnc@arcor.de> wrote:

On 01/19/2010 06:26 PM, Grant wrote:

I need to update the BIOS on my Biostar motherboard, but the utility
is said to be "Windows 2000 / XP / VISTA". I've flashed the BIOS in
other systems by booting a FreeDOS CD, but that won't work for a
Windows (not DOS) flashing utility, will it? I tried running the
utility via wine with no luck.

Most motherboard vendors also offer a bootable ISO image that will flash the
BIOS automatically once booted from it. Did you check whether Biostar
offers this?

i just wonder why we do not have BIOS flash program on linux.

Because most people use Windows so that vendors don't bother creating
Linux versions? :P

Old 01-20-2010, 04:23 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Mittwoch 20 Januar 2010 12:53:23 schrieb Xi Shen:

> i just wonder why we do not have BIOS flash program on linux.

Who says we don't?

Bye...

Dirk

Old 01-20-2010, 04:26 PM
"Dirk Heinrichs"

Am Dienstag 19 Januar 2010 23:58:24 schrieb Grant:
> I should be able to use flashrom to flash my motherboard's BIOS? Do I
> need to check compatibility, or do I just go for it?

This exercise is left to the interested reader

Seriously, of course you should check compatibility before you use it. The
devs also state on the project web site that you would get help quite fast via
IRC, if you'd run into problems.

Bye...

Dirk

Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 PM
Neil Bothwick

On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:53:23 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:

> i just wonder why we do not have BIOS flash program on linux.

I wonder why we have BIOS flash programs at all.

--
Neil Bothwick

If man ruled the world:
Daisy Duke shorts would never go out of fashion.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:23 PM
Alan McKinnon

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 20:13:11 Neil Bothwick wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Jan 2010 19:53:23 +0800, Xi Shen wrote:
> > i just wonder why we do not have BIOS flash program on linux.
>
> I wonder why we have BIOS flash programs at all.

<facetious reply>
because without them we couldn't flash stuff?
</facetious reply>

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com