Old 01-07-2008, 11:35 AM
Jules Colding

Default postfix with TLS

Hi

I'm trying to configure my postfix server to use TLS, which should be
quite straightforward according to the different guides I have found
using Google.

When I telnet into my postfix installation I get this:

# telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 mail.example.com ESMTP Postfix
EHLO mail.example.com
250-mail.example.com
250-PIPELINING
250-SIZE 10240000
250-VRFY
250-ETRN
250-STARTTLS
250-AUTH PLAIN LOGIN
250-AUTH=PLAIN LOGIN
250-ENHANCEDSTATUSCODES
250-8BITMIME
250 DSN

According to the guides this should be the desired output and TLS should
work, but all my mail clients (Thunderbird, mail(mac)) chokes when I try
to send a mail.

This is my main.cf file for postfix:

#################### main.cf ######################
soft_bounce = yes
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
command_directory = /usr/sbin
daemon_directory = /usr/lib/postfix
mail_owner = postfix
myhostname = mail.example.com
mydomain = example.com
myorigin = $mydomain
inet_interfaces = all
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550
mynetworks = 127.0.0.0/8
home_mailbox = .maildir/
debug_peer_level = 2
debugger_command =
PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
xxgdb $daemon_directory/$process_name $process_id & sleep 5
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
setgid_group = postdrop
html_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.6/html
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
sample_directory = /etc/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.3.6/readme

#
TLS

smtp_use_tls = yes
smtp_tls_note_starttls_offer = yes
smtpd_use_tls = yes
#smtpd_tls_auth_only =
yes

smtpd_tls_key_file = /etc/postfix/newreq.pem
smtpd_tls_cert_file = /etc/postfix/newcert.pem
smtpd_tls_CAfile = /etc/postfix/cacert.pem
smtpd_tls_loglevel = 3
smtpd_tls_received_header = yes
smtpd_tls_session_cache_timeout = 3600s
tls_random_source = dev:/dev/urandom

#
SASL

smtpd_sasl_auth_enable = yes
#smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
$myhostname

smtpd_sasl_local_domain =
broken_sasl_auth_clients = yes
relay_domains = $mydestination
smtpd_recipient_restrictions =
permit_sasl_authenticated,
permit_mynetworks,
check_relay_domains,
reject_unauth_destination

#
Mailman

owner_request_special = no
recipient_delimiter = +
alias_maps = hash:/usr/local/mailman/data/aliases, hash:/etc/mail/aliases

############### END ##################

Any help or comments would be truly appreciated.

Best regards,
jules

Old 01-07-2008, 01:11 PM
Arnau Bria

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 13:35:29 +0100
Jules Colding wrote:

> Hi
Hi,

> I'm trying to configure my postfix server to use TLS, which should be
> quite straightforward according to the different guides I have found
> using Google.

That's my guide, it's in Spanish, but I think you could check config
files
http://blog.emergetux.net/node/152

HTH,

--
Arnau Bria
http://blog.emergetux.net

Old 01-07-2008, 06:24 PM
kashani

Jules Colding wrote:

Hi

I'm trying to configure my postfix server to use TLS, which should be
quite straightforward according to the different guides I have found
using Google.

<snip>

According to the guides this should be the desired output and TLS should
work, but all my mail clients (Thunderbird, mail(mac)) chokes when I try
to send a mail.

What error does your MUA return and what are the errors that Postfix
logs from the same transaction? I'm betting this is a SASL problem and
not a TLS problem.

kashani