Old 01-07-2008, 10:34 AM
Renat Golubchyk

Default AHCI in Windows (was: Any newer Gentoo install CDs?)

Hi!

On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com>
wrote:
> OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
> BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
> get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
> blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.

Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx

You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in order
to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the Intel Matrix
Storage driver from ASUS support site. After installing the driver you
can enable AHCI in BIOS.

Cheers,
Renat

--
Probleme kann man niemals mit derselben Denkweise loesen,
durch die sie entstanden sind.

Old 01-07-2008, 02:46 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 7, 2008 3:34 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look at
> > BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he wanted to
> > get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into Windows but XP goes
> > blue screen at the first disk access with AHCI enabled.
>
> Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx
>
> You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in order
> to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the Intel Matrix
> Storage driver from ASUS support site. After installing the driver you
> can enable AHCI in BIOS.
>

> Cheers,
> Renat

Renat,
Thanks very much for posting this information.

Once installed does Win XP switch over to the new AHCI driver
automatically and if I go back to IDE emulation in the BIOS does XP
switch back automatically?

Cheers,
Mark

Old 01-07-2008, 03:10 PM
Renat Golubchyk

On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:46:34 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com>
wrote:
> On Jan 7, 2008 3:34 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@gmx.net> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > On Sun, 6 Jan 2008 16:31:43 -0800 "Mark Knecht"
> > <markknecht@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > OK, I took a few minutes away from his Half Life game to look
> > > at BIOS. I found the AHCI option and enabled it. Of course he
> > > wanted to get back to gaming so we tried to boot back into
> > > Windows but XP goes blue screen at the first disk access with
> > > AHCI enabled.
> >
> > Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
> > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx
> >
> > You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in
> > order to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the
> > Intel Matrix Storage driver from ASUS support site. After
> > installing the driver you can enable AHCI in BIOS.
> >

> > Cheers,
> > Renat
> >

> Renat,
> Thanks very much for posting this information.
>
> Once installed does Win XP switch over to the new AHCI driver
> automatically and if I go back to IDE emulation in the BIOS does XP
> switch back automatically?

It should, but I can't actually verify it, because I do not own SATA
drives. I've just googled it for you. :-)
(The page [1], that I found, had a very detailed explanation of this
AHCI issue, but is written in Russian. I've just summarised the
important bits in the email. At the Intel website [2] you can find
lots of relevant information and software in English.)

Cheers,
Renat

[1] http://www.diwaxx.ru/gel/ahci.php
[2] http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/index.htm

Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 PM
"Mark Knecht"

On Jan 7, 2008 8:10 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@gmx.net> wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Jan 2008 07:46:34 -0800 "Mark Knecht" <markknecht@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > On Jan 7, 2008 3:34 AM, Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@gmx.net> wrote:
> > > Hi!

> > > Windows versions prior to Windows Server 2003 do not support AHCI:
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/serialATA_FAQ.mspx
> > >
> > > You have to install SATA drivers of the mainboard manufacturer in
> > > order to enable it. For the ASUS P5E board you can download the
> > > Intel Matrix Storage driver from ASUS support site. After
> > > installing the driver you can enable AHCI in BIOS.
> > >

> > > Cheers,
> > > Renat
> > >

> > Renat,
> > Thanks very much for posting this information.
> >
> > Once installed does Win XP switch over to the new AHCI driver
> > automatically and if I go back to IDE emulation in the BIOS does XP
> > switch back automatically?
>
> It should, but I can't actually verify it, because I do not own SATA
> drives. I've just googled it for you. :-)
> (The page [1], that I found, had a very detailed explanation of this
> AHCI issue, but is written in Russian. I've just summarised the
> important bits in the email. At the Intel website [2] you can find
> lots of relevant information and software in English.)
>

> Cheers,
> Renat
>

> [1] http://www.diwaxx.ru/gel/ahci.php
> [2] http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imst/index.htm

Fair enough. I should have done that myself. When I started the thread
I didn't know about AHCI and I should really read about it before I
attempt to use it.

Thanks,
MArk