Old 01-12-2010, 01:15 PM
Laurent Kappler

Default Database only server

Hi,

I'm looking for some information about the configuration for a server
used only for a huge database.
I guess dépendanding on which database server used Mysql or Berkley the
hardware should not be same.

Or is it all about having a lot of RAM ?

Could I do that using only Mysql or is it possible to have Mysql and
Berkley, or should I have just Berkley ... ?

Happy new year!!
Laurent

Old 01-12-2010, 03:40 PM
Neil Walker

Laurent Kappler wrote:
> I'm looking for some information about the configuration for a server
> used only for a huge database.
> I guess dépendanding on which database server used Mysql or Berkley
> the hardware should not be same.
> Or is it all about having a lot of RAM ?

I think you will find it's more about the disk sub-system than anything
else.

> Could I do that using only Mysql or is it possible to have Mysql and
> Berkley, or should I have just Berkley ... ?

My choice would be mysql. It's used for one of the largest databases on
the planet - seti@home.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.wwseti.us

Old 01-12-2010, 03:46 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 15:15 +0100, Laurent Kappler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm looking for some information about the configuration for a server
> used only for a huge database.
> I guess dépendanding on which database server used Mysql or Berkley the
> hardware should not be same.
> Or is it all about having a lot of RAM ?
>
> Could I do that using only Mysql or is it possible to have Mysql and
> Berkley, or should I have just Berkley ... ?

Could you do *what*?

Do you mean Berkely DB? Berkely DB isn't really a DBMS. It's more of a
flat-file database. It's not even relational, it's key->value based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB

One could argue that MySQL isn't a real DBMS too but I won't get into
that ;-)

Anyway it's very difficult to answer your questions without knowing what
your requirments are (how large is "huge", how many simultaneous users,
anticipated queries/sec etc.)

Old 01-12-2010, 04:36 PM
Laurent Kappler

Albert W. Hopkins a écrit :

I'm looking for some information about the configuration for a server
used only for a huge database.
I guess dépendanding on which database server used Mysql or Berkley the
hardware should not be same.

Or is it all about having a lot of RAM ?

Could I do that using only Mysql or is it possible to have Mysql and
Berkley, or should I have just Berkley ... ?

Could you do *what*?

Do you mean Berkely DB? Berkely DB isn't really a DBMS. It's more of a
flat-file database. It's not even relational, it's key->value based.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB

One could argue that MySQL isn't a real DBMS too but I won't get into
that ;-)

Anyway it's very difficult to answer your questions without knowing what
your requirments are (how large is "huge", how many simultaneous users,
anticipated queries/sec etc.)

I would like to know more about a configuration with Two servers one for
DB and one for Apache.
I would have no idea of the number of request right now, I would like to
set up a scalable small structure first.
But there might be from 5 to a 100 e-commerce application with like
between 20 and 5000 products...so it can be small but it can looks huge
to me

For me Berkley DB was all loaded in RAM and those been very fast.
Even experimental I would like to set up something performant.

thx
Laurent

Old 01-12-2010, 05:07 PM
Laurent Kappler

Laurent Kappler a écrit :

Albert W. Hopkins a écrit :

[...]

ok now I see Berkley is a giant Hash table that would need some time to
practice first to find specific use.

So I might have Mysql or you would recommend something else ?
And then instal BDB to experiment.
I searched google for info about configuring a server only for database
but did not find anything relevent.

Where should I look?

Sorry to double post
Laurent

Old 01-12-2010, 05:59 PM
Neil Walker

Laurent Kappler wrote:
> But there might be from 5 to a 100 e-commerce application with like
> between 20 and 5000 products...so it can be small but it can looks
> huge to me

So, what you are talking about is a really tiny database. Hmm. You could
run that pretty well using a straight text file on an 8 bit computer.
If you
want scalability for the future, I still think mysql is the best
option.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.the-workathome.com

Old 01-12-2010, 08:12 PM
Laurent Kappler

Neil Walker a écrit :

Laurent Kappler wrote:

But there might be from 5 to a 100 e-commerce application with like
between 20 and 5000 products...so it can be small but it can looks
huge to me

So, what you are talking about is a really tiny database. Hmm. You could
run that pretty well using a straight text file on an 8 bit computer.
If you
want scalability for the future, I still think mysql is the best
option.

Be lucky,

Neil
http://www.the-workathome.com

...hm..I should install myodbc and use it to remotly request the db server?

Be strong, be wrong

Laurent