Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM
Thanasis

Default Logitech diNovo Keyboard Mac Edition

Anyone knows whether such a keyboard would work "out of the box" ?

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17587875/Logitech_diNovo_Keyboard_Mac_Edition.html

Old 01-13-2010, 02:15 AM
Willie Wong

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:59:31PM +0200, Thanasis wrote:
> http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17587875/Logitech_diNovo_Keyboard_Mac_Edition.html

Dont see why not. I have a rebranded logitech wireless keyboard/mouse
combo which uses a USB receiver, similar to described in the link. It
works out of the box just like another USB keyboard. For my
keyboard/mouse, after plugging the USB receiver in, I need to hit a
button on the receiver and a corresponding button on the keyboard and
mouse to associate the keyboard/mouse to the wireless receiver.

Cheers,

Willie W. Wong wwong@math.princeton.edu
408 Fine Hall, Department of Mathematics, Princeton University, Princeton
et vice versa ~~~ I. Newton

Old 01-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Hazen Valliant-Saunders

Make sure you have HID and Input Devices enabled when you (re)-compile your kernel.

Also verify your settings in your motherboards bios.

--
Hazen Valliant-Saunders
IT/IS Consultant

Old 01-13-2010, 07:05 AM
Thanasis

wrote:

On
Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:59:31PM +0200, Thanasis wrote:

> http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17587875/Logitech_diNovo_Keyboard_Mac_Edition.html

Dont see why not. I have a rebranded logitech wireless keyboard/mouse

combo which uses a USB receiver, similar to described in the link. It

works out of the box just like another USB keyboard. For my

keyboard/mouse, after plugging the USB receiver in, I need to hit a

button on the receiver and a corresponding button on the keyboard and

mouse to associate the keyboard/mouse to the wireless receiver.

Thanks.

It's only the "MAC" part the makes me worry... :-

But I guess I could use x11-misc/keytouch if needed, right?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanasis

on 01/13/2010 05:15 AM Willie Wong wrote the following:
> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:59:31PM +0200, Thanasis wrote:
>> http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17587875/Logitech_diNovo_Keyboard_Mac_Edition.html
>
> Dont see why not. I have a rebranded logitech wireless keyboard/mouse
> combo which uses a USB receiver, similar to described in the link. It
> works out of the box just like another USB keyboard. For my
> keyboard/mouse, after plugging the USB receiver in, I need to hit a
> button on the receiver and a corresponding button on the keyboard and
> mouse to associate the keyboard/mouse to the wireless receiver.
I heard that some keys like CTRL and ALT in mac keyboards may be (in
let's say) interchanged positions.

Old 01-13-2010, 12:47 PM
Stroller

On 13 Jan 2010, at 09:46, Thanasis wrote:

on 01/13/2010 05:15 AM Willie Wong wrote the following:

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 02:59:31PM +0200, Thanasis wrote:

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/17587875/Logitech_diNovo_Keyboard_Mac_Edition.html

Dont see why not. I have a rebranded logitech wireless keyboard/mouse
combo which uses a USB receiver, similar to described in the link. It
works out of the box just like another USB keyboard. For my
keyboard/mouse, after plugging the USB receiver in, I need to hit a
button on the receiver and a corresponding button on the keyboard and
mouse to associate the keyboard/mouse to the wireless receiver.

I heard that some keys like CTRL and ALT in mac keyboards may be (in
let's say) interchanged positions.

The keyboard mapping should be easy to change.

I don't think this should be a problem at all. Macs use standard HID
keyboards & mice - I can plug a Dell keyboard into my Mac & it works
just fine.

I seem to recall there is something funny about the control keys
layout if you do that, but it's been a long time since I tried it. I
think the Windows key becomes the Apple key, and the latter is
immediately to the left of the space bar (whereas you'll see for
yourself that the former is one key further left, with the alt key in
between). I don't know if this is the same if you try a Mac keyboard
under Linux, but swapping keys under Linux is well documented.

Stroller.

Old 01-13-2010, 05:38 PM
Thanasis

on 01/13/2010 03:47 PM Stroller wrote the following:

> On 13 Jan 2010, at 09:46, Thanasis wrote:
>> on 01/13/2010 05:15 AM Willie Wong wrote the following:
>>>>

>>> Dont see why not. I have a rebranded logitech wireless keyboard/mouse
>>> combo which uses a USB receiver, similar to described in the link. It
>>> works out of the box just like another USB keyboard. For my
>>> keyboard/mouse, after plugging the USB receiver in, I need to hit a
>>> button on the receiver and a corresponding button on the keyboard and
>>> mouse to associate the keyboard/mouse to the wireless receiver.
>>
>> I heard that some keys like CTRL and ALT in mac keyboards may be (in
>> let's say) interchanged positions.
>
> The keyboard mapping should be easy to change.
>
> I don't think this should be a problem at all. Macs use standard HID
> keyboards & mice - I can plug a Dell keyboard into my Mac & it works
> just fine.
>
> I seem to recall there is something funny about the control keys
> layout if you do that, but it's been a long time since I tried it. I
> think the Windows key becomes the Apple key, and the latter is
> immediately to the left of the space bar (whereas you'll see for
> yourself that the former is one key further left, with the alt key in
> between). I don't know if this is the same if you try a Mac keyboard
> under Linux, but swapping keys under Linux is well documented.

Can this (swapping keys) easily be done outside of X (in console, ie
before and without X) ?
For example how do I swap left CTRL and ALT in console?

Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM
Thanasis

on 01/13/2010 08:38 PM Thanasis wrote the following:
> swapping keys
I think I 'm in the right direction looking at KEYMAPS(5)