Old 01-12-2010, 09:53 AM
Zoltán Füves

Default linux usb webcam to website

Sorry guys to disturb you with like this but I'm stuck

I have to 4 usb webcam stream (from 4 different machine)* embed to a website

I read and try adobe flash media server (and it likes to work on linux ) but unfortunately the encoder witch "stream" the webcam to the server is available only windows * (of course no linux version yet someone use wine to use but I think this is not the best solution )

I looked for any alternatives I found red5 and an article about how to use the local flashplayer plugin publish the cam ( http://ptm.fi/?p=29 , http://ptm.fi/?cat=6 ) but I dont really know how to start

Is it worth to try usb-server to use remote cams as local device?

If anybody had experiences about like my problem please help my to give some* info and manual link

of course I don't insist the adobe product and solution I just want to work

thanks your time and help

have a nice day

Z.

Old 01-12-2010, 03:58 PM
"Albert W. Hopkins"

On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 11:53 +0100, Zoltán Füves wrote:
> Sorry guys to disturb you with like this but I'm stuck
>

> I have to 4 usb webcam stream (from 4 different machine) embed to a
> website
>
> I read and try adobe flash media server (and it likes to work on
> linux ) but
> unfortunately the encoder witch "stream" the webcam to the server is
> available only windows (of course no linux version yet someone use
> wine
> to use but I think this is not the best solution )
>
> I looked for any alternatives I found red5 and an article about how to
> use
> the local flashplayer plugin publish the cam ( http://ptm.fi/?p=29 ,
> http://ptm.fi/?cat=6 ) but I dont really know how to start
>
> Is it worth to try usb-server to use remote cams as local device?
>
> If anybody had experiences about like my problem please help my to
> give
> some info and manual link
>
> of course I don't insist the adobe product and solution I just want to
> work
>

> thanks your time and help
>
> have a nice day
>
> Z.

I may have misunderstood your question.

Last summer I was looking to stream my webcam to flash. I think I
looked at the red5 product but decided against it. There's also some
web services that will do it but I didn't want my webcam hosted on
another service.

So I ended up using a vlc script. vlc is cool because not only can you
stream to flv but just about any other format.

script will look something like this:

WIDTH=320
HEIGHT=240
BITRATE=512
BITRATE=1024
CODEC1=FLV1
AUDIODEV="/dev/dsp1"
DEV="/dev/video2"

vlc
-I dummy
v4l2://${DEV}:width=${WIDTH}:height=${HEIGHT}
:input-slave=oss://${AUDIODEV}
--sub-filter time
--sout
'#transcode{vcodec='${CODEC1}',vb='${BITRATE}',aco dec=mp3,samplerate=11025}:std{access=http,dst=127. 0.0.1:8082/stream.flv}}

Old 01-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Füves Zoltán

Albert W. Hopkins írta:
> On Tue, 2010-01-12 at 11:53 +0100, Zoltán Füves wrote:
>
>> Sorry guys to disturb you with like this but I'm stuck
>>

>> I have to 4 usb webcam stream (from 4 different machine) embed to a
>> website
>>
>> I read and try adobe flash media server (and it likes to work on
>> linux ) but
>> unfortunately the encoder witch "stream" the webcam to the server is
>> available only windows (of course no linux version yet someone use
>> wine
>> to use but I think this is not the best solution )
>>
>> I looked for any alternatives I found red5 and an article about how to
>> use
>> the local flashplayer plugin publish the cam ( http://ptm.fi/?p=29 ,
>> http://ptm.fi/?cat=6 ) but I dont really know how to start
>>
>> Is it worth to try usb-server to use remote cams as local device?
>>
>> If anybody had experiences about like my problem please help my to
>> give
>> some info and manual link
>>
>> of course I don't insist the adobe product and solution I just want to
>> work
>>

>> thanks your time and help
>>
>> have a nice day
>>
>> Z.
>>

> I may have misunderstood your question.
>
> Last summer I was looking to stream my webcam to flash. I think I
> looked at the red5 product but decided against it. There's also some
> web services that will do it but I didn't want my webcam hosted on
> another service.
>
> So I ended up using a vlc script. vlc is cool because not only can you
> stream to flv but just about any other format.
>
> script will look something like this:
>
> WIDTH=320
> HEIGHT=240
> BITRATE=512
> BITRATE=1024
> CODEC1=FLV1
> AUDIODEV="/dev/dsp1"
> DEV="/dev/video2"
>
> vlc
> -I dummy
> v4l2://${DEV}:width=${WIDTH}:height=${HEIGHT}
> :input-slave=oss://${AUDIODEV}
> --sub-filter time
> --sout
> '#transcode{vcodec='${CODEC1}',vb='${BITRATE}',aco dec=mp3,samplerate=11025}:std{access=http,dst=127. 0.0.1:8082/stream.flv}}

Thanks your answer (at the and of the day I chose vlc solution too :
) ) so it is worth the try

Z.

Old 01-13-2010, 02:19 PM
james

Zoltán Füves <zoleexfz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry guys to disturb you with like this but I'm stuck I have to 4 usb webcam
stream (from 4 different machine) embed to a website.

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but
'zoneminder' is very cool, although I'm not sure it
works with mp4 containers. You have to research the
encoding format details.

h.264 is very bandwidth efficient, but requires relatively
large processing resources to encode, but requires
relatively light processing resources to decode.

PS, the VLC solution the other guys have mentioned looks
very doable on a web-server.....

hth,
James

Old 01-15-2010, 05:46 AM
Zoltán Füves

2010/1/13 james <wireless@tampabay.rr.com>

Zoltán Füves <zoleexfz <at> gmail.com> writes:

> Sorry guys to disturb you with like this but I'm stuck I have to 4 usb webcam

stream (from 4 different machine) *embed to a website.

I'm not sure this is what you are looking for, but

'zoneminder' is very cool, although I'm not sure it

works with mp4 containers. You have to research the

encoding format details.

h.264 is very bandwidth efficient, but requires relatively

large processing resources to encode, but requires

relatively light processing resources to decode.

PS, the VLC solution the other guys have mentioned looks

very doable on a web-server.....

hth,

James

Thanks your answer too, I will check zoneminder. First look it is more a building security app than like a web streaming solution but It is look very cool for observing home things and more

yes the h.264 codec is very usable and vlc looks can serve my* web-streaming (yes the main problem is find the right the bandwith and the CPU and memory usage)

have a nice day and thanks your time and help

Z.

*