Old 01-11-2010, 11:34 AM
Peter Humphrey

Default Sound in KDE-4

Hello list,

Having finished building KDE on my new box (if that task can ever be
considered finished) I'm now tying up some loose ends.

When I log in to kde via kdm, I get a dialogue box telling me it wants to
remove my sound devices. It says "KDE detected that one or more internal
sound devices were removed. Do you want KDE to permanently forget about
these devices? This is the list of devices KDE thinks can be removed:
Capture: HDA Intel (); Output: HDA Intel ()".

I don't get the log-in sound played. Later, though, Firefox and Flash manage
between them to stream BBC radio to the speakers and I can listen to the
music.

What's going on here? The Gentoo sound page is woefully out of date, and the
KDE page is concerned with other things. I haven't found anything useful
about Gentoo and phonon.

The only sound hardware in the box is on the Asus P7P55D motherboard; it's
an Intel HD Ibex Peak high-definition audio chip according to lspci:

$ sudo lspci -v -s 00:1b.0
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio (rev
05)
Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8375
Memory at f7ff8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

The kernel clearly has control of the device, as I can hear some sounds.

Any ideas?

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 01-12-2010, 04:30 AM
Xi Shen

have you run alsaconf, and start alsasound?

--
Best Regards,
David Shen

http://twitter.com/davidshen84/
http://meme.yahoo.com/davidshen84/

Old 01-12-2010, 05:39 AM
Dale

Peter Humphrey wrote:

[...]

From your post, it appears that the kernel sees the card. However, the
only time I have seen this error was when I didn't have the right driver
for my sound card. Can you check again to make very sure you have the
right driver? Maybe there is two that are really close or something.

You may also want to make sure you remove any other drivers that may
have been enabled by default but that you don't need. Maybe some sort
of a driver clash going on.

Since it works for some things and not others, it is odd. It may be one
of those 'shot in the dark' things that fixes it.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 06:39:16 Dale wrote:

> From your post, it appears that the kernel sees the card. However, the
> only time I have seen this error was when I didn't have the right driver
> for my sound card. Can you check again to make very sure you have the
> right driver? Maybe there is two that are really close or something.

These are the loaded sound modules. Can you see any conflict?

# lsmod | grep snd
snd_seq_oss 23781 0
snd_seq_midi_event 4540 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 42949 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 4405 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 30573 0
snd_mixer_oss 12406 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_hda_intel 17746 1
snd_hda_codec 44688 1 snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm 55177 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer 15366 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 43222 11
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
soundcore 4447 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 5937 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

I believe that snd_hda_intel is the right driver for the card, though I'm
not certain. The kernel seems to have known about these cards since version
2.6.26.2.

Maybe I should try removing all traces of OSS from the kernel.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:57 AM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 05:30:25 Xi Shen wrote:

> have you run alsaconf, and start alsasound?

Yes, of course.

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Dale

Peter Humphrey wrote:

[...]

Try this site:

http://kmuto.jp/debian/hcl/

That should tell you exactly what driver you are supposed to use. At
least that way you are sure you have the right one.

I don't see any conflict but I'm not a sound card expert either. I just
recall having that error a couple times. I had it once when I hadn't
enabled the correct driver and once when I had two enabled that seemed
to conflict with each other. It was a good while back tho.

Maybe that site will help.

Dale

:-) :-)

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM
bn

Peter Humphrey ha scritto:
> On Tuesday 12 January 2010 06:39:16 Dale wrote:
>
>> From your post, it appears that the kernel sees the card. However, the
>> only time I have seen this error was when I didn't have the right driver
>> for my sound card. Can you check again to make very sure you have the
>> right driver? Maybe there is two that are really close or something.
>
> These are the loaded sound modules. Can you see any conflict?
>
> # lsmod | grep snd
> snd_seq_oss 23781 0
> snd_seq_midi_event 4540 1 snd_seq_oss
> snd_seq 42949 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
> snd_seq_device 4405 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
> snd_pcm_oss 30573 0
> snd_mixer_oss 12406 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_hda_intel 17746 1
> snd_hda_codec 44688 1 snd_hda_intel
> snd_pcm 55177 3 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
> snd_timer 15366 2 snd_seq,snd_pcm
> snd 43222 11
> snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
> soundcore 4447 1 snd
> snd_page_alloc 5937 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm
>
> I believe that snd_hda_intel is the right driver for the card, though I'm
> not certain. The kernel seems to have known about these cards since version
> 2.6.26.2.
>
> Maybe I should try removing all traces of OSS from the kernel.
>
> # lspci -vs 00:1b.0
> 00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Ibex Peak High Definition Audio (rev
> 05)
> Subsystem: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. Device 8375
> Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 22
> Memory at f7ff8000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
> Capabilities: [60] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit+
> Capabilities: [70] Express Root Complex Integrated Endpoint, MSI 00
> Capabilities: [100] Virtual Channel <?>
> Capabilities: [130] Root Complex Link <?>
> Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
> Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Seeing you're using (like me) an Intel HDA... have you selected the
correct *codec* in your kernel? I had trouble with my sound card until I
figured that out. See this mail:

http://www.mail-archive.com/gentoo-user@lists.gentoo.org/msg96198.html

cheers,
m.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:45 PM
Peter Humphrey

On Tuesday 12 January 2010 14:50:40 bn wrote:

> Seeing you're using (like me) an Intel HDA... have you selected the
> correct *codec* in your kernel? I had trouble with my sound card until I
> figured that out.

Ah, now that is a revelation. I discovered, to my astonishment, that I have
a Via codec. In an Intel chip-set? Weird. Never mind.

So I enabled the Via codec in the kernel config and rebooted, but it made no
difference. So I took the blunderbuss approach and enabled all the available
codecs. Still no improvement.

Back to square one. I still have no idea what's wrong with my sound system.

Thanks for suggestions so far...

--
Rgds
Peter.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:40 AM
Xi Shen

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 8:45 AM, Peter Humphrey
<peter@humphrey.ukfsn.org> wrote:
> On Tuesday 12 January 2010 14:50:40 bn wrote:
>
>> Seeing you're using (like me) an Intel HDA... have you selected the
>> correct *codec* in your kernel? I had trouble with my sound card until I
>> figured that out.
>
> Ah, now that is a revelation. I discovered, to my astonishment, that I have
> a Via codec. In an Intel chip-set? Weird. Never mind.
>
> So I enabled the Via codec in the kernel config and rebooted, but it made no
> difference. So I took the blunderbuss approach and enabled all the available
> codecs. Still no improvement.
>
> Back to square one. I still have no idea what's wrong with my sound system.
>
> Thanks for suggestions so far...
>
> --
> Rgds
> Peter.

did you compile your sound drivers into the kernel, or as a module. i
had a similar issue before on my thinkpad t61. i compiled all the
intel-hd related sound drivers into the kernel, but the sound system
does not work. but after i compile them as modules, the sound works
very well.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:49 PM
Peter Humphrey

This is weird.

On Wednesday 20 January 2010 04:40:04 Xi Shen wrote:

> did you compile your sound drivers into the kernel, or as a module. i
> had a similar issue before on my thinkpad t61. i compiled all the
> intel-hd related sound drivers into the kernel, but the sound system
> does not work. but after i compile them as modules, the sound works
> very well.

They're all modules:

$ lsmod | grep snd
snd_seq_oss 23781 0
snd_seq_midi_event 4540 1 snd_seq_oss
snd_seq 42949 4 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi_event
snd_seq_device 4405 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq
snd_pcm_oss 30573 0
snd_mixer_oss 12406 1 snd_pcm_oss
snd_hda_codec_via 24586 0
snd_hda_intel 17746 5
snd_hda_codec 44688 2 snd_hda_codec_via,snd_hda_intel
snd_pcm 55177 4 snd_pcm_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec
snd_timer 15366 3 snd_seq,snd_pcm
snd 43222 17
snd_seq_oss,snd_seq,snd_seq_device,snd_pcm_oss,snd _mixer_oss,snd_hda_intel,snd_hda_codec,snd_pcm,snd _timer
soundcore 4447 1 snd
snd_page_alloc 5937 2 snd_hda_intel,snd_pcm

The sound works fine except that KDE can't detect the hardware; it wants to
forget about the Intel HDA device permanently. (I don't let it.)

But by the time I come to log off, it's working happily with sound - at any
rate, I get the log-off tune.

Curiouser and curiouser.

--
Rgds