Old 01-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Helmut Jarausch

Default mozilla-firefox - I'm lost

Hi,

I've tried (for the first time) to install the
source version of firefox
www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
with useflags
alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite startup-notification

It builds just fine,
BUT
when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
it's just empty.

I have no idea what went wrong.
(I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
but this doesn't help either)

Many thanks for a hint,
Helmut.

--
Helmut Jarausch

Lehrstuhl fuer Numerische Mathematik
RWTH - Aachen University
D 52056 Aachen, Germany

Old 01-11-2010, 09:34 AM
Mick

2010/1/11 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
> Hi,
>
> I've tried (for the first time) to install the
> source version of firefox
> *www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
> with useflags
> *alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite startup-notification
>
> It builds just fine,
> BUT
> when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
> window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
> it's just empty.
>
> I have no idea what went wrong.
> (I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
> *but this doesn't help either)

What do you get when you run /usr/bin/firefox from a terminal?

Probably not relevant, but is the bindist USE flag necessary?
Mick

Old 01-11-2010, 09:42 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 11 Jan, Mick wrote:
> 2010/1/11 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've tried (for the first time) to install the
>> source version of firefox
>> *www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
>> with useflags
>> *alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite startup-notification
>>
>> It builds just fine,
>> BUT
>> when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
>> window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
>> it's just empty.
>>
>> I have no idea what went wrong.
>> (I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
>> *but this doesn't help either)
>
> What do you get when you run /usr/bin/firefox from a terminal?

The same as above!

> Probably not relevant, but is the bindist USE flag necessary?

I first tried without (same result)
Without it I get a some strange message:
You are enabling official branding. You may not redistribute this build
to any users on your network or the internet. Doing so puts yourself into
a legal problem with Mozilla Foundation
You can disable it by emerging ${PN} _with_ the bindist USE-flag

Helmut.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Alan McKinnon

On Monday 11 January 2010 12:42:26 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
> On 11 Jan, Mick wrote:
> > 2010/1/11 Helmut Jarausch <jarausch@igpm.rwth-aachen.de>:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've tried (for the first time) to install the
> >> source version of firefox
> >> www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
> >> with useflags
> >> alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite
> >> startup-notification
> >>
> >> It builds just fine,
> >> BUT
> >> when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
> >> window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
> >> it's just empty.
> >>
> >> I have no idea what went wrong.
> >> (I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
> >> but this doesn't help either)
> >
> > What do you get when you run /usr/bin/firefox from a terminal?
>
> The same as above!

What Mick wants is for you to run firefox from a terminal, the copy the output
messages into a mail

> > Probably not relevant, but is the bindist USE flag necessary?
>
> I first tried without (same result)
> Without it I get a some strange message:
> You are enabling official branding. You may not redistribute this build
> to any users on your network or the internet. Doing so puts yourself into
> a legal problem with Mozilla Foundation
> You can disable it by emerging ${PN} _with_ the bindist USE-flag

There's nothing strange about that. Mozilla does not allow you to build a
custom version of firefox that includes their trademark logos and then
redistribute the binary. The USE flags give you a way to build with or without
Mozilla's trademarks.

--
alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com

Old 01-11-2010, 09:51 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 11 Jan, Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Monday 11 January 2010 12:42:26 Helmut Jarausch wrote:

>> > What do you get when you run /usr/bin/firefox from a terminal?
>>
>> The same as above!
>
> What Mick wants is for you to run firefox from a terminal, the copy the output
> messages into a mail

Yes, I've understood.
It displays no message, at all, and immediately goes to background.

I haven't found it , but is there a debug mode?

Helmut.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:52 AM
walt

I've tried (for the first time) to install the
source version of firefox
www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
with useflags
alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite startup-notification

It builds just fine,
BUT
when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
it's just empty.

I have no idea what went wrong.
(I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
but this doesn't help either)

I've never been sure what the bindist flag does, exactly, but I have it disabled
and firefox works normally. Enabling xulrunner saves some time and space if you
intend to use other mozilla products like thunderbird, but it shouldn't be necessary.

Do you see any messages if you start firefox from a command prompt?

Old 01-11-2010, 11:19 AM
Helmut Jarausch

On 11 Jan, walt wrote:
> On 01/11/2010 01:51 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've tried (for the first time) to install the
>> source version of firefox
>> www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
>> with useflags
>> alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite startup-notification
>>
>> It builds just fine,
>> BUT
>> when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
>> window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
>> it's just empty.
>>
>> I have no idea what went wrong.
>> (I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
>> but this doesn't help either)
>
> I've never been sure what the bindist flag does, exactly, but I have it disabled
> and firefox works normally. Enabling xulrunner saves some time and space if you
> intend to use other mozilla products like thunderbird, but it shouldn't be necessary.

for version 3.5.7 xulrunner is used per default.

> Do you see any messages if you start firefox from a command prompt?

Unfortunately, nothing.
Is there any debug option?

Helmut.

Old 01-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Mick

2010/1/11 walt <w41ter@gmail.com>:
> On 01/11/2010 01:51 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've tried (for the first time) to install the
>> source version of firefox
>> * www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
>> with useflags
>> * alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite
>> startup-notification
>>
>> It builds just fine,
>> BUT
>> when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
>> window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
>> it's just empty.
>>
>> I have no idea what went wrong.
>> (I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
>> *but this doesn't help either)
>
> I've never been sure what the bindist flag does, exactly, but I have it
> disabled
> and firefox works normally. *Enabling xulrunner saves some time and space if
> you
> intend to use other mozilla products like thunderbird, but it shouldn't be
> necessary.
>
> Do you see any messages if you start firefox from a command prompt?

Try this:

/usr/bin/firefox -console -no-remote

Otherwise I am not sure how to get it into some sort of a debug mode ...
Mick

Old 01-11-2010, 01:05 PM
bn

Mick ha scritto:
> 2010/1/11 walt <w41ter@gmail.com>:
>> On 01/11/2010 01:51 AM, Helmut Jarausch wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've tried (for the first time) to install the
>>> source version of firefox
>>> www-client/mozilla-firefox-3.5.7
>>> with useflags
>>> alsa bindist dbus gnome java linguas_de linguas_en sqlite
>>> startup-notification
>>>
>>> It builds just fine,
>>> BUT
>>> when I start firefox I get only a tiny (real tiny!)
>>> window. When I enlarge it (dragging a vertex of the window)
>>> it's just empty.
>>>
>>> I have no idea what went wrong.
>>> (I have renamed ~/.firefox and ~/.mozilla
>>> but this doesn't help either)

Try removing useflags and see what happens. I'd remove the gnome and
sqlite flags, for example (I haven't them and firefox works ).

m.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM
walt

[...]

Start it from a command prompt like this:

$ NSPR_LOG_MODULES=all:5 /usr/bin/firefox

The :5 is the maximum debug level. You can change it to :3 if you get overwhelmed
by the amount of output. You should see some big error messages if firefox is as
broken as it seems to be.